GL1100 Carbs on my GL1000 looking for advise...

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: GL1100 Carbs on my GL1000 looking for advise...

Post by redglbx »

Don, I would love to do Bonneville or one of the airport runway deals to see just want it’d do. I’m with you as a retired engineering lab tester, no butt dyno here, the last time I actually dyno’d my 76 it was at 81 or 83 rwhp , but that shop is now long gone. Since then I’ve added the modified 1100 carbs, milled .040in off the heads and found the mismarked flywheel timing marks using my degree wheel and used that to set the Dyna up dynamically instead of statically which was a big improvement, mostly just smoother operation from the Dyna setup.

Since loosing the dyno use I test each change on a measured section that I have out here in the country to verify whether something worked or not. The change to the stock 1100 carbs showed a dramatic drop in mph on my measured test section. Indeed the butt dyno lies! Never believe it !

Time on the dyno showed me that the big hit most feel as “on the pipe” or “on the cam” is indeed when the engine is actually clearing a glut of fuel created when you whack the throttles open, it’s there on every set of Keihin carbs I’ve ever seen tested, probably on all other carbs as well.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que