84 1200 GW stalling issues

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

adecood
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

84 1200 GW stalling issues

Post by adecood »

I would like some advice on issues that I have been having with my 84 1200 GW. Please bear with me as I explain the problem.
This problem has been plaguing me for a couple years now. The problem is that when I take the bike out for a ride sometimes I can ride for a hr. or so and nothing goes wrong. And other times I can ride for about 5 miles and I lose power and the bike dies. And I have to trailer it home.
To try to diagnose the problem I have run the bike in the garage for a long time. The bike would run for a long time. And I would run it at idle for a while and at 2k rpms for a while and 3k for a while and @ 4k for a while and it runs file. And up and down the rpm scale rapidly too. In neutral and also through the gears too. Of course I have it on the center stand and a fan blowing on the front of the engine so it doesn’t over heat.
Thinking it is fine I take it for a run on the street and not too long into the ride it dies. Sometimes it would start back up after it cooled down. And other time I would have to trailer it home.
Here is the history of the things that I have done in the order at which I have done the work to try to fix the issues over the last couple years.
• Removed the stator plug and hard wired those wires and confirmed that they are ok.
• New voltage regulator.
• The bike is putting out any where’s from 11.5 -> 14v during the ride. I have a volt meter on the bike so I can see what it’s doing during the ride.
• Replaced the fuel filter and fuel lines. The lines were leaking.
• Replace the pulse generator plug with a modern water tight plug.
• This year I replaced the fuel pump and fuel pump relay. I think bench tested it wrong and I messed up that system so I replaced both of them.
• This year I replaced the pulse generator w/a new old stock unit.
The bike starts right up without any hesitation. And after replacing the P.G. I took it for a ride thinking that I finally fixed the issues. It wasn’t too far into the ride when it started to lose power again. And it died. I pulled the 2 RH plugs and checked to see if I was getting spark. And yes it was getting spark. After I put the plugs back in the bike it did start. In the past when it died it wouldn’t start back up. But this time it did. So I am thinking that the P.G. was one of the main issues causing the problems in the past. In order to get home I had to leave the chock full to limp home.
I am losing my patients with this bike and I am now thinking that I have to rebuild the carbs. I am nervous about rebuilding the carbs because it is a big job and it’s been a long time since I have attempted that type of job. Never on 4 carbs before. I have all the tools to do it but I am just nervous about the outcome. I have been looking for a good rebuild kit and I have seen that Randakks has the best reputation for their kit. But they don’t have any in stock. I don’t want to buy a cheap kit. And I want a kit that can solve the ethanol gas issues.
So can anyone add to helping me fix my dilemma on solving my problem?
Dave D.
84 1200 GW Std
02 1800 GW
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 84 1200 GW stalling issues

Post by tlbranth »

Sounds like you're throwing money at it without really knowing what the problem is. Fuel or electrical would be the first thing to look into. That said, with all you've already done, I'd see if your fuel pump works.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
adecood
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by adecood »

Ya your right about the money thing. And ya I really can't find the problem. The pump is new but I'll look at it again

Thanks for the feed back
Dave D.
84 1200 GW Std
02 1800 GW
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

How about the fuel cap? Take it off next time it bogs and see if you get a big hiss sound.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Fred Camper wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:57 pm How about the fuel cap? Take it off next time it bogs and see if you get a big hiss sound.
Yep next time it dies take the fuel cap off and see if that resolves it. Fuel cap is vented one way so as to not create a vacuum in the tank and starve the bike.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

Fuel cap is a excellent & easy suggestion. Also I would replace the original lead horseshoe fuse, they crack and cause all kinds of intermittent running issues. I replaced all of mine with modern plug-in mini module type. Also easy & fairly easy as well as cheap.

I simply bought one of the rubber “fix-it” sockets with the wires on them, trimmed it to make a clean fit and put a couple of ring connectors on the wires and screwed they down using the screws that held the oe fuse in, this is a good upgrade because now you can use an available plug-in fuse (30a-35a) that’s more robust and actually available.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
adecood
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by adecood »

I took the fuel cap off and it's soaking in carb cleaner. need to give it some time for the cleaner to work.
I replaced the main fuse as suggested just after I purchased the bike. so that's all good.

Thanks for all the suggestions
Dave D.
84 1200 GW Std
02 1800 GW
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

Dave, one other thing to check is that on the fuel cap (at least on the 1000’s) the “wings” that latch into the filler neck are spring loaded and also provide a vent path, so make sure that they move freely (somewhat) against the spring load. I have seen them rust so that they don’t move or the rust (also spiders) will block the venting path.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
adecood
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by adecood »

Here is the latest status on my stalling issue. As much detail as I know
• I soaked the gas cap in carb cleaner for 2 days. When you look at the cap that faces the inside of the tank. In the center dome of the cap there are 4 holes around the perimeter. And 1 on the middle. And 2 tabs sticking out of the side of the dome. I gently inserted a pipe cleaner in all of the holes and around the 2 tabs. There wasn’t any rust and the 2 tabs moved too. I also inserted a probe in the center hole and pushed the (what I am guessing is a plunger) up and down a few time. So I was thinking that the cap did not have any obstructions after the long soak. And it felt like the plunger (if that’s what it is) moved up and down when I pushed on it. And the rubber gasket that goes around the perimeter of the cap was in good shape too.
• I ran the bike in the garage for a while and I also sync’d the carbs. They were not out by much. But I figured it could hurt to check the sync of the carbs.
• I took a lunch break.
• Then I took the bike out for a ride around the neighborhood. I didn’t want to go too far from home and get stuck again.
• So it wasn’t too long into the ride when the bike started to bog down again.
• I was mainly riding in 2nd/3rd gear @ about 25 mph. I was thinking the higher the gear the more load on the engine.
• The engine was up to operating temp around the time the bogging started. And about 12.5 v.
• Again I put on the chock and down shifted and rode it into the garage. But just before I pulled into the garage I opened the gas cap. And no change as to how the engine was performing. In fact it stalled not long after I opened the cap. But I was able to start it up again.
• I was the only person on the bike and the 2 bags were nearly empty except for some tools I normally carry with me.
• I pulled all 4 plugs and they all had a good blue spark.
• And after doing that and putting my tool kit back I started the bike and it didn’t sound as smooth as I think it should.
1 question I have is what is the purpose of the tube that sticks into the top of the air filter? When I blow into it I can feel it building up pressure. And when I stop the air come rushing out. My thought is it is to relieve the crank case pressure. I am not sure. Oh also the air cleaner is in good shape too.
So I will welcome any more advice you people will have to help me solve this d….m issue?
Dave D.
84 1200 GW Std
02 1800 GW
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

I see that you did put on a new fuel pump but your symptoms match those of a bad pump. I'm pretty sure you have the pump that's internal to the tank. They don't just totally fail, they do what you're experiencing. Both I and Sunnbobb have run into this. When your bike quits, why don't you open up a carb drain valve or two to see if there's fuel in there.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
adecood
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by adecood »

Thanks for the input.
I will check the drain valves on as many carbs as I can.
But my pump is external on the 84 std. And if its bad it is relatively new and maybe I could force them to give me a replacement. Who knows if they will accommodate me on that.
Dave D.
84 1200 GW Std
02 1800 GW