overheating/NH, MA USA Shop recommendation?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: overheating/NH, MA USA Shop recommendation?

Post by gltriker »

NightSkiesP wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:35 pm
snip-Today I will do a leakdown test since I just bought a tester.
hello NightSkiesP - I've noted you have procured a Cylinder Leakdown Rate Testing kit. tumb2
IF you may be altogether unfamiliar with Cylinder Leakdown Rate Testing procedures, I have some photos and a few details that may be helpful

see my post #364 here --- (post #367, cylinder compression testing, might be of interest, too)
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996&start=360

The location of each numbered cylinder is determined from a seated position on the motorcycle.
The Top Dead Center Firing order of each cylinder, on its respective Compression Stroke, is 1-3-2-4.
a TDC Compression Stroke is identified by having its intake and exhaust valves, both closed.
( each cylinder's valves lash clearance were previously set at its TDC Compression Stroke, too)
For a consistently organized testing sequence,
Perform the Cylinder Leakdown Rate Testing procedure in that Firing order. 1-3-2-4

cylinder number 1 is front right side of the engine.

cylinder number 2 is front left side of the engine.

cylinder number 3 is rear right side of the engine.

cylinder number 4 is rear left side of the engine.
Last edited by gltriker on Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
JAMi_750
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by JAMi_750 »

There is a small private shop in Freemont, NH called Goldwings Plus. I have not used him for work, so I don't have any feedback to offer, but he does work on the older GL's.
You might give him a call if you get stuck?
NightSkiesP
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by NightSkiesP »

JAMi_750 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:59 am There is a small private shop in Freemont, NH called Goldwings Plus. I have not used him for work, so I don't have any feedback to offer, but he does work on the older GL's.
You might give him a call if you get stuck?
I'm definitely going to try and reach him. Already sent him info.
I just read some interesting things about fuel pumps over-pumping or something.
I feel like the first and most obvious thing is the very low compression though.

I just read through my project notes and I wrote down that the owner had done head gaskets, cam seals, valve seals, valve seats polished, timing belts, and thermostat. If they didn't mess up the job, that may eliminate those things as a cause.
Prior owner did give me some parts that didn't need to be replaced, though (extra wiring harness because there was a fairing before, but all splices were outside of the harness, and a battery box b/c the hold-down rubber was missing, but it wasn't present on the new one either... and you can just buy that part independently).

Prior owner said he was selling the bike because he simply didn't have time to finish it. Gave me a set of '76 carbs because the bike had a single carb manifold and carburetor. I dunno if that changes anything.
Garage is my happy place
I might like the repairing more than the riding?

restored 78 CB400TII
restored 77 GL1000
restoring 79 GL1000
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

How many projects have you seen for sale because the seller "didn't have time"? Just about all of them in my experience. Never "wow, too much money", or "I don't know what I'm doing". 8^)
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Shadowjack wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:32 am How many projects have you seen for sale because the seller "didn't have time"? Just about all of them in my experience. Never "wow, too much money", or "I don't know what I'm doing". 8^)
I agree. I have a whole lot less time for my bikes. But they will sit and wait for me, til I get to them. Selling them is not an option. (I've had my 78 since '80)
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Maybe they don't say "wow, too much money", or "I don't know what I'm doing" because they won't get as much for it or it will be harder to sell.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Sidecar Bob wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:31 am Maybe they don't say "wow, too much money", or "I don't know what I'm doing" because they won't get as much for it or it will be harder to sell.
Point is, they are selling a non-runnning bike. Would be worth more if running, and running well. Don't get me wrong. When I'm in the market, those are the ones I look for. But hey. What ever helps them sleep at night. My first Wing was a mystery to me, but I took the time To learn what it took to make it work the way I wanted it to. And have enjoyed every year of it, and the friends I have made along the way
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200