Mixed set of carbs

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

McTrucky
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Mixed set of carbs

Post by McTrucky »

Hi all,

Now started on the carbs on my 1976 rebuild.

The carbs appear in pretty good condition - they looked to have been partially drained before storage; so low tide marks on the floats and gunge in the bowls with cruddy looking jets etc. But I have seen much worse.

So I was getting round to ordering up some new rubber and noticed I have three carbs numbered 764A and one numbered 758A.

I think the 764A are 1977 and the 758A is 1976 model. The engine number is GL1E-2007625 and the chassis number also begins 2007 - I believe the bike is a 1976 model; but happy to be corrected.

My question is - will the same carb kits work across both carb types? Should I rummage through some spares I have with the bike and see if there is another 764A in there and make them all match?

Next question is.... based on the material I have read on here I think I should go with the Randakk's rebuild kit - is there anyone in Europe supplying these?

My reason of saying I want that kit is that I know I need the inlent manifold seals, and also the plemum seal which are included in that kit. The amount of silicon rubber everywhere tells me the last owner had fun trying to get everything sealed - the plenum are was covered in it. I also need the seal between the plenum and the airbox - this was just one big silicon gum fest, with no rubber seal at all. I see the airbox seal and also fuel/vacuum lines on ebay in the UK for not too much money - would you go with these, or seek Randakk supplied ones?

I am hoping to reuse the jets - BUT.... they are not branded, no K logo on them, and no size numbering. Likewise the floats appear aftermarket with no name on them. What do you think - reuse and hope for the best, buy a kit that comes with new brass and floats, or suck it up and buy Keihin/Honda ones....?

I am not keen on spending hundreds on this - but I would rather spend enough to get it right, than save a few quid and regret it every time I ride it. That said, I have Keyster jets in my Suzuki and am very happy, so would not worry about using them.
Attachments
20220613_152938[1].jpg
20220613_152938[1].jpg (141.17 KiB) Viewed 711 times
20220613_152923[1].jpg
20220613_152923[1].jpg (136.47 KiB) Viewed 711 times
1976 GL1000 barnfind, not run since 1991. My first Goldwing, which joins my 1990 Suzuki VX800 in the stable.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Mixed set of carbs

Post by gltriker »

Forum member, Old Fogey ( John Evans ) is your go-to man for Excellent advisements in Scotland ;) and elsewhere
John Evans lives in Glascow, I believe.

https://www.wingovations.com/

Send him an email. There are several blue "email me " buttons on his Wingovations website.

just found this email address.

wingovations@googlemail.com

It may be the same connection that those blue button provide..
Last edited by gltriker on Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:40 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

I'll let the experts fill in the important info later, but here's what I gathered from my experiences with them-

--These are NOTORIOUSLY finnicky carbs, so eliminating as many problem areas as possible is always best.

-Mis-matched numbered carbs can probably be made to run decently, but if you can get a set matched to the proper year of the bike is best.

-If you're leaning Randakk, get the whole kit. It's not much more, and you know it'll be right.

-Never trust aftermarket jets, ESPECIALLY for these carbs. Again, they might be able to be made to work, but not as well as they should work. All factory jets are marked with a logo and number, even if it's small and faint.

Can't speak for importing things or parts aquisition, but you've come to the best place for info on these carbs. Best of luck!
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

Personally, if done correctly these are easy carbs that will perform very well, I am not a fan of mix matching carbs, I just did a 76 bike (Ltd) that had 3 correct Ltd carbs and 1 78 that just happened to be a super lean California emmisions carb, it ran like shite to be polite ! So the 4th oe carb must’ve been damaged at some point. I ended up using another standard 76 carb & used the complete Randakks kit along with PJ’s Motirsports new jets (Honda).

The thing is that Randakks Kit is all made from Viton rubber that will resist the alcohol in today’s fuels, good stuff !

In my opinion if you cannot find a matching 4th carb then the set you have should work fine so long as all the jetting is the same among all 4, 76 & 77 are very closely related.

Silicone/rtv is an absolute terrible thing when exposed to fuels, it just dissolves and will not seal squat that way. They will work very well if you take your time and set them all the same and according to the Honda specs. Once done a really fine carb balance will be the icing on the cake. Cleanliness is also of utmost importance, no silicone/rtv used ! they simply cannot be clean enough.

On the jetting, if you have a good set of precision pin gages you can check & verify that they are the same size, but keep in mind that jetting is not only the hole diameter but also the length, most are sized by actual flow not just a hole size. So on jetting I prefer to use proper Honda spec jets, better quality on something that is critical for the proper operation of these carbs. Hope this helps
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

While John at Wingovations is the closest to you, as Randakk approved rebuilders we are not supposed to sell rebuild kits. Only provide the rebuild service.

I never run aftermarket jets or float valve assemblies in GL carbs. Too many issues. You buy an aftermarket kit that has brass in it and it covers (usually) 1975-1979. There are too many jet and needle changes for that to work. You can try looking for good used original jets. Better than using aftermarket.

Also, try to get the correct carb for the one oddball that you have. Easier to do on this side of the pond I know but do what you can.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

If you haven’t gone here yet, please do, a wealth of information is here on a lot more than just carbs.

https://www.randakksblog.com/site-map/

Hope this takes you there. Two tech tips I have circled below. I believe but can say for sure your 758 carb body will work with 764A carbs as long as internals are changed. Only one jet- idle air jet- was different. See the posts on emulsion tubes as well.
0432B172-644D-4685-B0E8-CDDBFB3F323B.jpeg
0432B172-644D-4685-B0E8-CDDBFB3F323B.jpeg (183.64 KiB) Viewed 656 times
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
McTrucky
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by McTrucky »

Thanks all. I have emailed John for his opinion and costs for parts.

I am minded to keep the mixed set of four carbs as thay are very similar, and if I am rebuilding them should be able to fit with the same jets sizes all round.

Will wait and see what John comes back with.
1976 GL1000 barnfind, not run since 1991. My first Goldwing, which joins my 1990 Suzuki VX800 in the stable.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

McTrucky wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:01 am Thanks all. I have emailed John for his opinion and costs for parts.

I am minded to keep the mixed set of four carbs as thay are very similar, and if I am rebuilding them should be able to fit with the same jets sizes all round.

Will wait and see what John comes back with.
Jet size may not be the only difference. Check that the jet needles are also the same.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
McTrucky
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by McTrucky »

Sorry for leaving this hanging.
I got John's input and kind of decided to attempt to get it back to original spec, which is the 758A models. I have one fitted to the bike (well, on the bench at the minute) and three in boxes, of unknown condition - but superficially don't look too bad.

But before buying all the new gaskets etc I am just going to see if I can get it running with what was fitted. Even if it is lumpy etc, at least it will prove if it will run. Be a shame to spend a load of money on refurbishing carbs for a bike that had, say, run its big ends.

The delay has been caused by me damaging the ligaments in my ankle, and am hobblling about on crutches. Hopefully not too serious, and I can start putting weight on it in the next couple of days and be back to the shed next week.
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Hope you heal quick. Lots of good info here on carbs, BUT - have you changed the belts? Do so BEFORE attempting to start. The RTV is evidence of not the best care, and this is an interference engine. Hopefully no RTV is in other parts of the engine. A small bit that I failed to find had been left in one of mine. Found its way to the oil restrictor for the right head. Totally stopped oil flow, binding and snapping the cam in the middle.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
McTrucky
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by McTrucky »

pidjones wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:11 am Hope you heal quick. Lots of good info here on carbs, BUT - have you changed the belts? Do so BEFORE attempting to start. The RTV is evidence of not the best care, and this is an interference engine. Hopefully no RTV is in other parts of the engine. A small bit that I failed to find had been left in one of mine. Found its way to the oil restrictor for the right head. Totally stopped oil flow, binding and snapping the cam in the middle.
Thanks, appreciate that.

Yes belts done. The ones that came off looked like new though, which slightly worries me that the thing broke down, belts were changed, it didn’t start and was parked up.

Hence why I hope to get the engine running before spending a lot of extra money making it how it should be.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

There's nothing wrong with using silicone sealant on engine gaskets if done properly. Anyone who knows what they are doing would apply the silicone (either a small bead or a film so thin you can only tell it is there by the sheen) ahead of time and allow it to fully cure (at least overnight) before assembly. The problem comes from people who don't know what they are doing and put things together while the sealant is still wet so that it can squeeze out from between the mating surfaces.
Not to mention using it on carbs where the gasoline can attack it (note that I have been known to apply a small amount of silicone sealant around the outside edge of the float bowl gaskets on carbs for my winter machine, assemble with it wet and smooth the squeeze out over the line where the bowls meet the bodies to prevent salty water from causing corrosion but I don't do that on the summer bike).
Is silicone sealant on gaskets a good idea? I've seen both Honda and Harley gaskets that came from the factory with cured beads of silicone on them.

BTW: "Room Temperature Vulcanizing" refers to any rubberlike compound that cures without heat. This can be silicone sealant but it could also be any number of other materials that don't need heat to cure.
Calling silicone sealant as "RTV" is lazy and imprecise and we should stop doing it. It is like saying that you put "liquid" in the crankcase when you mean "oil".
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
McTrucky
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by McTrucky »

It starts!

Very lumpy at first, clouds of blue smoke, but big step forward.

I couldn't let it run for more than a few seconds as there is no water in it. But the light at the end of the tunnel is there. I'll create a new post wrt the water.