No Power to Headlight, hi or lo beam

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

1983lux
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

No Power to Headlight, hi or lo beam

Post by 1983lux »

Hey guys,

I found out the hard way that my headlight wasn't working as it started getting late on a ride! It was working right up until I changed out my handlebars the other day.

Volt meter isn't finding power to the high or low beam wires going to the headlight. I'm wondering if its a short in the hi/lo beam switch?

Also wondering about the lighting unit, where is that exactly and what does it look like?

I'm not great with electrical, but ive got a test light and voltmeter at my disposal.

Any help getting me pointed in the right direction would be appreciated!

Thanks.
1975 Honda GL1000 - Naked
Motor from 1979 Model
1975 Cams and Carbs
Dyna S Ignition
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: No Power to Headlight, hi or lo beam

Post by pidjones »

First check the headlamp fuse? I had a fuse blow due to a lead from the hi/lo switch touching the handlebar.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Certainly check the fuses first. And do not trust a visual inspection. I like to use my Volt meter to check for power on both sides of the fuse holder with the key on. Here is a diagram of the parts location.
https://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 46#p453046
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
1983lux
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by 1983lux »

The fuse is fine, and tried another just to be sure. It's the 10A one on the top of the fuse box, right? However, I noticed there's no power going to either side of the fuse when the key is on, whereas all the other fuses have voltage going to the 'fuse holder clips' on both sides.
Motor from 1979 Model
1975 Cams and Carbs
Dyna S Ignition
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

One thing I have found is that when I have no headlight is a bad start button in the rh switch gear. I just changed one on a 76 ltd, all the power goes through that start button which really the contacts aren’t sufficient for the load. I have found that sometimes if you pull on the start button the headlight will come on or if you flush the button contacts with electrical contact cleaner it may work for a while.

Why the headlight quits but everything else continues to run I can’t explain because it all goes through the same contact. So pull the button and see if the headlight comes on.

One thing that really kills the start button is if you’ve changed your headlight to a more powerful headlight that actually has enough light to see at night, I put my headlight on relays to take the load off the button.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

I had a response typed up that essentially was the same as Redglbx's, but it disappeared.
Changed the bars, you say? Is the black with red stripe wire that comes from the right switch plugged in properly? Because that feeds power to the headlight fuse. There are actually two sets of contacts in the switch, a normally-closed set for the headlight and a normally open set for the starter. The headlight is the only circuit (not the other lights) that gets interrupted when you press the button.
1983lux
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by 1983lux »

Yep, you guys are right. There was no power coming through the RH switch. I took it apart, re-soldered the connections, cleaned and greased it, but it didn't help. I bypassed the switch so the headlight is on all the time, even when cranking. Bike still seems to start fine, but I should probably get either a new button + a relay or a new OEM style switch. The relay option seems like the best way to go, I'll have to figure that out.
Motor from 1979 Model
1975 Cams and Carbs
Dyna S Ignition
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

You might consider adding relays (hi & low), take the contact signal from something that shuts off when cranked and the power from headlight.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Info about the Reserve Lighting Unit and how to bypass it
https://www.randakksblog.com/headlight-troubles/

BTW: "short" is a specific electrical term meaning a current path where there shouldn't be one (such as when 2 wires are touching). A short in the switch would more likely cause both the high and low beams to be on at the same time than anything else (which could lead to premature bulb failure but you would still have voltage at the bulb if that happened)

Re "all the power goes through that start button which really the contacts aren’t sufficient for the load" and "
Why the headlight quits but everything else continues to run I can’t explain because it all goes through the same contact.", the only power that goes through the headlight contacts in the Start button is the power to the headlight and the contacts are quite adequate for that unless someone who doesn't understand electrical stuff has connected high power driving lights directly to the headlight or something like that. My own experience with sidecar lighting used the original switches with two 55W headlights for years without harming them.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....