what boot for D8EA?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: what boot for D8EA?

Post by redglbx »

Many, many years ago, at a bike show far, far away NGK had a booth and I talked to one of their reps/engineer who explained to me that the resistance is not just about reducing/eliminating radio noise, but is required to help fully fill the coils. Honda spec’d around 5000 ohms with the spark plug caps, but non-resistor plugs and straight hard wire plug wires.

Now with that said, we had this same discussion a year or two ago and I contacted NGK customer service and was told that if you removed all the resistance that it would still run fine.

And with that said, I have run my bike with both the NGK resistor caps and resistor plugs and it ran fine which makes me scratch my head because I have had numerous run problems when the NGK caps resistance exceeds 5k, run problems that just go away with new sub 5k caps. So what does all this mean ? I have no effing clue ! Someone more electrically savy than me may be able to better explain it!

One thing I would add is that I would not run carbon core resistor wires because as you run along and hit bumps the wires flex and crack/break internally causing all kinds of run gremlins.

So what I run : I run the NGK plugs, usually the non-resistors but am currently running the iridium plugs which have a normal 80-120kmi life span, normal plugs are good for about 20k or whenever the center electrode starts to round, where the corners are no longer sharp.

So in addition to the iridium plugs I run the NGK 5k plug caps and solid core wires, I bought a length of solid wire core plug wire from a roll at my local NaPA to add to my full Dyna system.

So what’s right or wrong ? Dunno, but everything affects everything and I’ll add that I would not use the Bolt on ends simply because on a humid midwest day I could easily see it arcing all over, which is why they added boots years ago. You may use them w/o a problem, but I ain’t that lucky !

On the counterfeit NGK plugs, a set my son bought for his 66 mustang & the car just ran like crap, all kinds of oddities when it ran, they came in box’s that looked like the normal yellow NGK box’s from one of his local parts stores like O’Reilly’s or Autozone, the only thing that really was odd is that the NGK logo on the plugs wiped right off where normally it’s in the ceramic.

I’m going back to sleep now !
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
robbie202
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by robbie202 »

20220618_132356.jpg
20220618_132356.jpg (133.22 KiB) Viewed 199 times
Redglbx that was a whole technical article lol.
Got a bag of the terminal nuts so here's what im going forward with
'77 GL1000
'03 Sportster
2020 KLX 250
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

at the end, Where did you find the screw-on terminals?
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

->>One thing I would add is that I would not run carbon core resistor wires because as you run along and hit bumps the wires flex and crack/break internally causing all kinds of run gremlins.<<-

I've had bad luck with carbon core wires in all sorts of vehicles. The only thing that I like about them is that the silicone insulation has high voltage breakdown resistance and it is very temperature tolerant. Neither being a problem on the GL. I buy solid core 7mm wire from my local O'Reilly store. They had to order in a 100 foot roll the first time I needed it (a CB750F), but sold what I asked for. Since then, they have the roll to cut it off from. On the Triumph T150V that I'm working on right now, it is supposed to use B8ES but I am using BR8ES as it seems to be a bit more available, and there has been no report of counterfeit resistor plugs (yet). The BR8ES plugs actually came with the screw-on caps. Just removing the resistor in a resistor cap and replacing it with a chunk of copper to get non-resistor caps.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

^^^ all good points and said better than I did !
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
robbie202
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by robbie202 »

terminal nuts are from densoproducts.com

https://www.densoproducts.com/denso-067 ... rminal-nut

they are $0.50 i bought $10.00 worth
'77 GL1000
'03 Sportster
2020 KLX 250
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

redglbx wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:28 am And with that said, I have run my bike with both the NGK resistor caps and resistor plugs and it ran fine which makes me scratch my head because I have had numerous run problems when the NGK caps resistance exceeds 5k, run problems that just go away with new sub 5k caps. So what does all this mean ? I have no effing clue ! Someone more electrically savy than me may be able to better explain it!
e it arcing all over, which is why they added boots years ago. You may use them w/o a problem, but I ain’t that lucky !
As I understand it, having some resistance between the ignition coil's secondary winding and the spark plug's gap increases the duration of the spark event and that increases burn efficiency (= more power from less fuel).

The reason caps with higher than the specified resistance cause problems is that the higher resistance is usually a result of corrosion/oxidation causing a poor contact inside the cap. This can usually be remedied by disassembling the cap and cleaning all the contact points in the internal parts (resistors, springs, rods and the brass "connector" that screws in to hold the rest in and clips onto the spark plug) plus cleaning the contact point at the bottom of the hole those parts came out of. I usually use a Scotchbrite pad and contact cleaner to clean the parts and cut a corner off of the pad to shove down the hole, spray in more contact cleaner and use a small screwdriver to turn the piece of pad to scour it out. A hook bent from a paper clip will remove the piece of pad afterward, followed by another spray of contact cleaner and (if necessary) a blast of air to dry it out before re-assembly.

BTW, what caps do I use? I use XD05F-R caps because we all know that red parts make a bike go faster :roll:
JBM Carb Sockets 1.JPG
JBM Carb Sockets 1.JPG (120.1 KiB) Viewed 152 times
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....