converting to LED lights

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Oldmannewwinger
Brass Member
Brass Member

Re: converting to LED lights

Post by Oldmannewwinger »

That's really good news. I thought I'd have to pull the fork out of the frame. So for now, I bought a two terminal electronic blinker and left the blue/black wire unplugged. I'm back to riding agian for now until I get another cancel unit. Thanks so much for all your help. I understand the system way better now.
Oldmannewwinger
Brass Member
Brass Member

It looks like the cancel switch is available, I even saw a new one for sale (quite expensive) but I still don't know how I should test it rather than just throwing new parts at the problem and hoping I get it. Is it just an on/off switch that closes when the fork is centered? Or is it more complicated than that?
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Don't think it can be tested because it is a solid state unit.
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Oldmannewwinger
Brass Member
Brass Member

I keep thinking there must be a way to test. Like it should be sending a signal of some sort when certain conditions occure like a certain fork possition or bike tilt or something like that. If it is bad I am thinking of replacing it with a new one. But if the old one is working fine and the problem is actually something else, I don't want to spend nearly $200 on a new one. I've done experimental replacements before and been very disapointed. I would love to have this thing diagnosed before I do that again.

Another thing I don't get is why, when the system was working would the electronic flasher not work but when I put the origional flasher back in, it started working again. It seems that with all my efforts to make the electronic flasher work, I stressed the system somehow and caused it to fail when the origional flasher was back in place. I had put incondecsent bulbs back in all but two spots so the flasher was normal. I took a 20 mile ride where I signalled several times where it cancelled perfectly, but then almost home and signalling for the last time, it was totally dead.

Does anyone know the actual workings of the system, like what takes place in the handle bar switch so that when the cancel function is broken, you can no longer manually cancel be depressing the switch? It's a bit of a mystery. Maybe I just need to get my hands on a really good schematic. The one Rednaxs60 posted is the best yet, but it still doesn't fully explain how the components work internally.

Little by little with the help of you guys, I'm begining to understand this thing. It's such a cool feature. I very much appreciate your help.
Oldmannewwinger
Brass Member
Brass Member

Today I recieved my used turnsignal cancel unit from Ebay. I pulled the wire harnes out the top of the fork spindle and plugged it in. (I also plugged in the origional flasher) The signal came on and cancelled by pushing the switch like it is supposed to. Disconcertingly, the old one worked too, so I really don't know what happened. I installed the one I purchased, put the seat on and rode around the yard and it cancelled automatically correctly. So.... I'm back in business (still with some unanswered questions).

Now for getting that cantankerous wind guard back in. I decided after fooling with it for some time that it was impossible to do. So I drilled out the spot welds and separated the two pieces then epoxied two nuts on the top side so I can install the upper piece without interference then install the lower piece from the bottom.