GL1000 carbs clear tube question

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

kerryb
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

GL1000 carbs clear tube question

Post by kerryb »

'77 GL1000, 758A carbs from a '76. Carbs recently cleaned (twice for good measure, with randakks kit) new OE float needles and seats. Floats set to spec at 21mm. all seats are sealing properly with no leaking over timed test.
So I'm testing bowl levels with the clear tube method remembering the level should be 2-3 mm below the bowl seam and have begun to question my method. I did this same thing last fall on my '83 and it ran great for 2000 miles, but this is on someone else's bike, I won't be able to ride test it till spring, and I'd like to get it right the first time.
The picture shows the carbs in test position sitting very close to level. but the carbs themselves are sitting at an angle to each other that is not level. So the question is which part of the bowl seam do I measure from? there is around 5mm difference from inner edge to outer edge, so I could be off by 8mm by picking the wrong one. I think I need more educating here to get it closer to "right"
All comments welcome, it's all part of the adventure.
Attachments
static level test
static level test
float test.jpg (104.36 KiB) Viewed 248 times
current level at 21mm float height
current level at 21mm float height
float level.jpg (84.56 KiB) Viewed 248 times
intrigued by the wail...seduced by the scream.
'78 cb750K, '83 GL1100s,I,&A,'08FXSTC, '79 WilMac trike
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: GL1000 carbs clear tube question

Post by Whiskerfish »

That looks a bit high to me BUT I have never doe that method. I just put them upside down and hit them with a vacuum and lift each float one at a time. When they hit level I expect them to start sucking.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
kerryb
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by kerryb »

Thanks, I thought they looked too high too, but it was still only an opinion. I'm going to lower the level and wait for more opinions before putting them back on the bike. Found it is easier to remove and replace carbs when they are still attached to the motor! Just don't forget the neutral switch wire...that one is really tricky
05c50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 05c50 »

As I understand it, float height/fuel level is measured so as to allow the fuel level to the main jet to remain as close to constant at all times (idle, accel, decel, cornering). With that in mind, the fuel level should be measured near the main jet tower which in almost all carbs is in the center of the float bowl. I've never seen anything about GLs, but on other carbs that sit at an angle, the instructions say to take the measusement at the center of the length of the carb.

.........Paul
I prefer to ride my wing naked,thank you
My wife asked me "How many bikes does one man need?" My answer "Uhhh.just one more"
75 Goldwing
78 Goldwing
77 CB750a
77 CB550f
80 CB650c
05 Boule C50
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cfairweather »

I use the clear tube method each time I do a set of carbs. I have carefully measured the float level with a gauge on many sets and then looked at the level in the tubes, so I know where the level should be. I fine tune the levels to be exactly the same on all four carbs. It is also a good way to verify the float valves are working properly. Check the level on the carb rim that is closest to you as if the carbs are mounted on the bike. This edge is the lowest edge. When checking the level, push the clear tube right next to the rim at the same place on each carb. The ideal level should be at the lower edge of the rim. The level can be a bit higher, but don't go beyond the middle of the rim. I connect an electric fuel pump to make sure the float valves get properly stress tested. If one leaks you will know it because the level will go way high and sometimes flow out of the carb.
kerryb
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by kerryb »

Thanks.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Excellent info! This should be moved to ShopTalk so it doesn't get buried!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

These opinions are just my own, but here goes-

Personally? I think this method, while it has merit, is more useful determining proper float and/or float valve operation than setting a useful float height. The manual gives fuel level setting based on a float height, and setting that float height and THEN using that to determine fuel level via clear tube is just giving you the same information in two different ways.

(I say this because my KZ1300 gives the fuel height setting ONLY via the clear tube method, and it's a royal PITA, not to mention it's supposed to be done with the carbs level, an orientation GL carbs naturally aren't. I wish Kawasaki would've just given me a float height and made things easy.)

But, as said, just my two cents.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I’ve only set them per the book and as Randakk suggests also, but this method checks float height as the liquid closes the float and seals. The other way assumes the float will seal in its gravity closed position. It may have merit but it must be time consuming.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

Seems like this is a good error-check for uniformity in the levels. Everybody screws up sometimes.
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cfairweather »

I set the level using a Randàkk gauge and usually have one carb where the level is a bit off compared to the other three. Typically, all four fall into the acceptable range that I described above. It only takes me a few minutes to drain the fuel and pop the carb bowl off and make a minor adjustment. I then recheck and adjust again if needed. I usually can do this in 15 minutes or. so. I always only lightly snug down the bowl screws until I fully complete the level check. The only way to be sure the levels are correct is to perform this procedure. I check for vacuum leaks too before installing the carbs. It does take some time, but it is time we'll spent.