LTD Won't Stay Lit

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

kjmarti2
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: LTD Won't Stay Lit

Post by kjmarti2 »

gltriker wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:52 am Another thing just came to mind about ignition system breaking down.
Get a timing light with an inductive pickup clamp. Install the clamp onto one of the spark plug wires. Start with #1 cylinder.
With the engine running , aim the light at a dark surface and watch for a sudden intermittent interruption or total loss of spark.
If nothing out of the ordinary shows up on #1 cylinder, move the inductive clamp to the #3 cylinder spark plug wire and watch for an ignition breakdown fault at that position.
Are you talking about one of these? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Actron-CP7504- ... Swht1fuqlZ

Also I've never removed the spark plug wires from the boots. Can you tell me where exactly I would place the positive clamp? I guess with the boots off it would be what comes into contact with the plug itself?
Yellow 1976 GL1000 - "The Phoenix"
1976 GL1000 LTD
2002 CB900F 919
kjmarti2
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by kjmarti2 »

CYBORG wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:18 pm I once had a Dyna that would run until it got warm, and would die. Cool off, and it would run until warm. Problem was in the Dyna pick up units. Just a thought.
How did you find that out? When I was setting the timing I noticed that if the pickup was in just the right spot and if my tongue was out just right that the timing light would glow brighter for a split second. To the naked eye it looks nice and flush but I'm not sure how to test it. It is a brand new unit also, but I'm open to trying anything at this point.
1976 GL1000 LTD
2002 CB900F 919
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

kjmarti2 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:23 am
gltriker wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:52 am Another thing just came to mind about ignition system breaking down.
Get a timing light with an inductive pickup clamp. Install the clamp onto one of the spark plug wires. Start with #1 cylinder.
With the engine running , aim the light at a dark surface and watch for a sudden intermittent interruption or total loss of spark.
If nothing out of the ordinary shows up on #1 cylinder, move the inductive clamp to the #3 cylinder spark plug wire and watch for an ignition breakdown fault at that position.
Are you talking about one of these? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Actron-CP7504- ... Swht1fuqlZ

Also I've never removed the spark plug wires from the boots. Can you tell me where exactly I would place the positive clamp? I guess with the boots off it would be what comes into contact with the plug itself?
Yes, that is an inductive pickup timing light.
There is no requirement to disassemble anything on the spark plug wires
The pickup clamp is similar to clothes pin. It has a spring loaded hinge that will very loosely position the inductive pickup clamp around the spark plug wire.
Similar to an inductive ammeter clamp.

The polarity color identified alligator clamps are connected to the battery terminals.
Start the engine, squeeze the trigger.

You tube videos would be a great place to see one in action! tumb2
Last edited by gltriker on Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

kjmarti2 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:28 am
CYBORG wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:18 pm I once had a Dyna that would run until it got warm, and would die. Cool off, and it would run until warm. Problem was in the Dyna pick up units. Just a thought.
How did you find that out? When I was setting the timing I noticed that if the pickup was in just the right spot and if my tongue was out just right that the timing light would glow brighter for a split second. To the naked eye it looks nice and flush but I'm not sure how to test it. It is a brand new unit also, but I'm open to trying anything at this point.
I will butt in on this query Doug.

A quick method to determine if the Dyna is operating is to have the tester you utilize to set the static timing alternately installed into the left coil, or the right coil tested connector, then start the engine.

The light will tell you immediately as it turns on and off for each revolution of the running engine. I've tried this briefly a couple times. Did not hurt my tester. Will be somewhat similar to the timing light display, too.

Remember to have the OFF RUN OFF switch turned ON!

Individually, test both Dyna modules in this fashion.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996

previous rides:
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

One thing I would add us pay attention to the timing light pickup because they sometimes require proper orientation, usually an arrow pointing towards the plug.

Also, I see that you claim that you haven’t pulled the plug caps off the wires to check them, this is something you should do, just unscrew them from the wire and check the resistance across each of them and that should read less than 5k ohms resistance, I have found a lot of little tuning issues were due to bad plug caps. To reinstall, I add a little dab of rtv to the wire od ( to seal & glue back on ) and just screw the caps back on, some like to trim a little off the end of the wire for a fresh connection which isn’t a bad idea until the wire gets to short. Easy-peasy, your choice.

Also a question, is there some way to post a “like” on this sight, a lot of good ideas that don’t need comment but in my opinion should get a like or maybe a thumbs up.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

kjmarti2 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:28 am
, one pick
I found it out after I hauled the bike back to my shop, and did some testing. As I recall, it was several years ago, when Dyna was recognized as the " hot new thing". As I recall, I ran the bike while monitoring the outputs of the pickup's. When it warmed up enough, one pickup was shorting against the cover. Running without the cover on the pickup unit seemed to solve the problem. I replaced the pick up units. I have also had experience with the dyna coils going bad. All in all, I just don't trust dyna any longer. I switched to the C5 system, and have never been happier. Easier to set up, and after several years, is extremely reliable. So I guess I solved the problem by getting rid of the dyna system
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I don’t recall which version Dyna you have. The older versions referred to as Dyna 111, which had a remote black box, had issues with grounding the box and not getting 12v to the box. Several people developed the issue after painting and the box mounting points were not getting a proper ground. Before sending units back to Dyna for testing they recommended sourcing a direct fusible, switchable , 12v source. For some, this cured them.

If you haven’t run a relay yet, I suggest you do. Also, running a relay that diverts the regulator sense wire directly to the battery may bring down your overall voltage as 15 is a little high. A few spikes higher could take out other items.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

Also a question, is there some way to post a “like” on this sight, a lot of good ideas that don’t need comment but in my opinion should get a like or maybe a thumbs up.
:2thumbs tumb2
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Sagebrush wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:56 am
:2thumbs tumb2
:lol:
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

11V will cause a miss with a Dyno system. Run a fused wire from the battery positive up to where you will put the relay. The terminal opposite goes to the positive on the Dyno system. On the other two terminals one is ground and one is the ignition wire where you found 11V. This way the relay is energized with the ignition on only. And the Dyna will not get full battery voltage. A Google search will give you a diagram.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
kjmarti2
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by kjmarti2 »

First off, I hope all y'all had a Happy Thanksgiving. Mine was great. Most people tend to get a little sleepy after such a large meal, but it had the opposite effect on my 2.5 year old. It was fun watching him have a great time.

Back to the issue, I'm going to proceed with installing a relay from the battery to the dyna. I went ahead and ordered a 4 prong mini relay along with some 12 gauge wire and bullet and ring connectors. Hopefully my wire crimping skills are up to the task. It seems pretty simple, much simpler than actually finding the real culprit.

This does have me curious though. I tried making sense of the wiring diagram and it looks like current goes through that big resistor under the left panel in the same circuit as the coils. Could that be a potential source of my voltage drop?
1976 GL1000 LTD
2002 CB900F 919
Barrie
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Barrie »

Any news?
1976 Gran' Luxe 1000. Once red, now orange, soon yellow...
kjmarti2
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by kjmarti2 »

I still haven't installed the ignition relay yet, I ordered a mini-iso one without thinking and that has different connectors than the old blade style that I have terminals for. I have one that I think will work on order so it'll be another few days before I can take a stab at it.
1976 GL1000 LTD
2002 CB900F 919
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

As an aside “C5” no longer makes ignition setups, pointing to one of “dyna’s ” strongest points, that being longevity. They’re still in business and answering the phones. Just sayin.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

redglbx wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:48 am As an aside “C5” no longer makes ignition setups, pointing to one of “dyna’s ” strongest points, that being longevity. They’re still in business and answering the phones. Just sayin.
I have had three Dyna systems fail, in one way or another. Many have had to replace components of the system, over the years. They have changed their components, over the years, to try and overcome their short falls. But in my opinion, they have not. I don't know why C5 is no longer selling systems. Maybe because they are expensive. any not everyone is willing to pay for quality. Agreed that Dyna MAY have been an improvement over points. But hands down the C5 is a vast improvement over any of the Dyna systems. Ask anyone who has one.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200