Stator

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Stator

Post by millerdog »

Sidecar Bob wrote:You can't really determine the state of charge of a battery by measuring the voltage. The only way to know for sure is to measure the specific gravity of the electrolyte with a battery hydrometer.

And depending on the regulator you may not find the same current in all 3 phases of the alternator (some of them work by shunting current from one phase to ground) or in all bikes (some models with headlight switches disconnect one phase when the headlight is off).
I’m also taking age into account. This battery is well over 3 years old, and it goes further and further down, the longer it sits. As long as I’m dealing with a charging issue, I just figure it’s probably best to have a fresh battery. It’s due anyway. Lol
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

My main concern now is, wiring the new reg. unit in. It should be here the beginning of next week. We’ll see.
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

With normal maintenance (charging during off season, topping up electrolyte with water) normal life is at least 5-6 years and I've heard of a few lasting over 10. When was the last time you replaced a 3 year old battery in a car?

You may find this interesting http://www.aegeansoft.com/silverwing/ph ... hp?29,7836
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Sidecar Bob wrote:With normal maintenance (charging during off season, topping up electrolyte with water) normal life is at least 5-6 years and I've heard of a few lasting over 10. When was the last time you replaced a 3 year old battery in a car?

You may find this interesting http://www.aegeansoft.com/silverwing/ph ... hp?29,7836
I have an AGM. Can’t say as I’ve maintained it like I should have. I had a wet battery that lasted 5 years. I babied that one though. Lol
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I've heard that AGM batteries keep a long time with no maintenance but my only experience with one indicates otherwise. I won't buy another.
On the other hand, the flooded cell battery I'm using in my bikes and the one in the mower are both 6 years old and working fine.
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Happy to report that it was indeed the reg/rec unit. Put it in today, and BAM! We have charge! Thanks everyone. One happy camper again!
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

action1 action1 action1
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

action1 tumb2
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.