gl1100 timing inspection plug same as gl1000?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: gl1100 timing inspection plug same as gl1000?

Post by ericheath »

Randakk’s timing wheel for the front cam pulley is another option with far more accuracy (imo) for checking dynamic timing. Not as messy either.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Liam wrote:Dont worry too much about not getting one. They are of little use in my experience. If you fit one of these and run the engine the oil thrown up by the flywheel against the sight glass makes it impossible to see any timing marks. A better option to do dynamic timing is Randakks timing wheel.
Right. Career Honda techs knocked out the upper of the two windows of this factory tool "bombsight" if that is what we're talking about, and it helped. But doing the timing statically is much more accurate and do-able in my view.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I seem to recall someone mentioning holding a toilet paper tube over the opening to catch the splatter and shining the timing light down that.
Personally, I've always done it statically, but I guess using a timing light might be useful if you suspect a problem with the timing advance system.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Full advance should always be checked, no matter the timing method, especially when the advancer has been modified, as it is when you install a Dyna ignition. It's easy to check full advance statically.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

By simply turning the advancer by hand with the engine at the correct timing mark, right?

I meant looking for erratic operation of the timing advance, but I don't think that is terribly common and if it moves smoothly by hand it should be OK....
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
jml74
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by jml74 »

From what I can tell, Randakk's timing wheel is only for GL1000s and is also dependent on the camshaft, so it's pretty application-specific. The same plug fits GL1000s, GL1100s, and GL1200s if greater flexibility is a concern, and it is for me. This post was originally asking about the GL1100 (although I do have a GL1000 patiently waiting for attention as well).
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

I gave up timing the GL1000 and GL1100 dynamically decades ago. I know everyone calls the split timing thing the Mark Overby or Randakk method, but it was already in use and even endorsed by American Honda (the U.S. distributer) by 1977. I have mentioned this earlier, but I confimed it in a phone call with the factory back then.

Even if I was a devoted of dynamic timing on Wings, I would still do it by hand whenever timing a Dyna as that product produces random sparks.

I still have my factory Honda bombsight.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Sidecar Bob wrote:By simply turning the advancer by hand with the engine at the correct timing mark, right?

I meant looking for erratic operation of the timing advance, but I don't think that is terribly common and if it moves smoothly by hand it should be OK....
I gotcha. Dynamic in that particualr case would be preferred.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I recall someone who used a piece of PVC pipe. It just needs enough height to catch the splash on the side and allow it to drizzle back in. I think they used a timing light. It would be pretty tight getting the light in and being able see the marks. I believe they recommended removing a quart prior to operation.

I haven’t done it, but I think Randakks wheel would work on any 4 cylinder Wing. (Unless he has it marked for 1000 spots. I’m pretty sure it has degrees as well.

If you want to check your advance with a light on the pulleys, start it, put the light on and mark roughly where the mark is on the outer backplate. (Or rubber seal) Count teeth from the belt pulley marks for degrees. One whole tooth ( high part and low part) is 4 degrees camshaft, so 8 degrees of crankshaft. When I did mine I found it moved around 2-3 degrees, so I guesstimated an average spot.

To do dynamic, rev to 3k and hold it, mark the backplate. Count teeth from the belt marks. Should be accurate to within a few degrees and let you know if advance is working properly.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

Let me add a bit of a twist in here. I prefer setting the timing up with a degree wheel and initially checking that the t1 mark is correct with a piston stop. The reason being that on my 76 the 3-4 flywheel timing mark was 6 degrees retarded to the 1-2. The bike since new was always a rough runner particularly at idle where it just thrashed and had an off idle stumble that no amount of carb work would fix.

When I found this a few years ago and set it up with a degree wheel to get the timing sets phased correctly my bike became a really sweet runner, just smooth running and the off idle stumble was gone.

Randakk offers his degree wheels for both the 1000’s and the 1100’s but the differences are that they just have the timing events noted on each. But a degree wheel is a degree wheel just ignore the noted timing events if you’re using it on something else.

Personally I setup and verify the timing on all my bikes with a degree wheel, you’d be surprised at how far off things can be and how much better they’ll run once corrected, highly recommended !
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

There is one of those timing window things for sale here: https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mpo/ ... 27743.html
00K0K_3LbJQ5HWWPR_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00K0K_3LbJQ5HWWPR_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg (65.53 KiB) Viewed 234 times
01010_6wFc7FMIM7X_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
01010_6wFc7FMIM7X_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg (67.71 KiB) Viewed 234 times
PDub
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by PDub »

There is one of those timing window things for sale here:

So...I tend to default to a "Technology is ruining our ability to think" worldview. For instance, Me: "Son, it's time I teach you how to change the oil in your car", Son: "No need, I'll just catch some YouTube videos and be an expert in half an hour", or Daughter: "Oh Dad (sigh), why would I ever bother to learn to read a map when I've got a GPS on my phone?"

That said, I'm willing to admit I'd be lost without this forum, its world wide knowledge base and the willingness of people 100's or 1,000's of miles away to provide help. Sometimes I'm actually amazed at how useful the internet can be, so at least I'm willing to admit I can be a hypocrite.

Case in point: Some guy named Liam in Ireland(?) sees an internet ad from Ohio and decides to tell the world. Some guy in Maryland (me) sees Liam's post from Ireland and contacts the seller in Ohio. The seller turns out to be a great guy who has other useful stuff including Randakk's remove-the-cam-covers-without-removing-the-radiator tool which is 1) no longer available and 2) something I desperately need. I received the seller's shipping number this morning (electronically of course) and it's on its way.

So, THANK YOU LIAM, and grudgingly Thank You Internet!
"Looks and functionality are two different issues. It's like buying what appears to be a showroom kept bike and you get that "wow that's a bike I want" feeling, then you get it home and start the maintenance and voila, here come the skeletons from the closet." - Rednaxs60

1976 GL1000
1988 NT650 (Hawk GT)
1971 CB175
1965 S90
1972(?) CT90
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Reminds me of the time I replaced the forks on my GL500 with ones from a different model. When I got home from Cycle Salvage I had no idea how much oil the "new" ones needed so I searched online with no luck and even joined a couple of forums for the bike they were from to ask (never did get a reply from them). After several fruitless hours of that, before going to bed I posted the question on the CX500 forum (an ancestor of the current cx500forum.com). Sture in Sweden noticed it when he got up in the morning and took it as an excuse to ride to his local Honda shop and ask if he could look in their shop manual for that model and posted the answer when he returned home for lunch so that it was there when I got up in the morning.
That sort of thing is what the Internet is really for :orange :orange :orange
Explorer
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Explorer »

PDub wrote:There is one of those timing window things for sale here:

So...I tend to default to a "Technology is ruining our ability to think" worldview. For instance, Me: "Son, it's time I teach you how to change the oil in your car", Son: "No need, I'll just catch some YouTube videos and be an expert in half an hour", or Daughter: "Oh Dad (sigh), why would I ever bother to learn to read a map when I've got a GPS on my phone?"

That said, I'm willing to admit I'd be lost without this forum, its world wide knowledge base and the willingness of people 100's or 1,000's of miles away to provide help. Sometimes I'm actually amazed at how useful the internet can be, so at least I'm willing to admit I can be a hypocrite.

Case in point: Some guy named Liam in Ireland(?) sees an internet ad from Ohio and decides to tell the world. Some guy in Maryland (me) sees Liam's post from Ireland and contacts the seller in Ohio. The seller turns out to be a great guy who has other useful stuff including Randakk's remove-the-cam-covers-without-removing-the-radiator tool which is 1) no longer available and 2) something I desperately need. I received the seller's shipping number this morning (electronically of course) and it's on its way.

So, THANK YOU LIAM, and grudgingly Thank You Internet!
Yep! Thank you to all you guys that still do back yard tech!
jml74
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by jml74 »

I've been away for a few days, but that's an amazing story, PDub (although I am jealous of the cam cover tool...).