minimum needed to bench test a 1200 motor

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

70sbudget
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

minimum needed to bench test a 1200 motor

Post by 70sbudget »

so im not to familiar with the 1200 yet but would like to bench test mine prior to install. I have a 78 that it is going into. ignition coils from a 1500 so need to figure out the wiring from these three different generations.

obviously fuel, air and spark for fire but as far as the wiring, do i need ALL OF IT? what is the bare minimum wiring to make this 1200 thing fire and run for a minute here and there?
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: minimum needed to bench test a 1200 motor

Post by ericheath »

Installing the motor seems daunting, but isn’t that bad. I think you will spend as much time farting around with wiring as you would just putting it in.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
70sbudget
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by 70sbudget »

motor is out, battery is out, ignition system is out as upgrading system and parts arrived so figured easier to do it out of the bike at this point.
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

power to the coils and power to the ignition is all it takes to make it spark.
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

There a few flavours of 1200 engines. 1984 had the ignition pickups at the rear. 1985 and later this moved to the front.
The easiest thing is to get the ignition unit from a GL1200 and the coils and everything just plugs in. Power it up and off you go.
1200 ignition unit.jpg
1200 ignition unit.jpg (31.33 KiB) Viewed 291 times
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

This is the wiring.
1200 coil diagram.jpg
1200 coil diagram.jpg (41.04 KiB) Viewed 290 times
70sbudget
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by 70sbudget »

Liam, thank you for the wiring harness. I have an 85. I have wires coming off of the motor but it doesn’t look like they plug into the green box as shown, which I also have. I’ll try and post some pictures this weekend. What does the vacuum hose on the black box connect to?
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

yes they don't... they go through the wiring harness....

two things can go bad. The pick-ups (on the 85 in the area of the timing belt) and that can be one or both. Last I checked still available. or the box itself... not available, except from a another bike
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

The vacuum line connects to a port on the #4 intake runner. It's not needed to test; only works in 4th and 5th. Just plug the intake port.
70sbudget
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by 70sbudget »

Shadowjack wrote:The vacuum line connects to a port on the #4 intake runner. It's not needed to test; only works in 4th and 5th. Just plug the intake port.
Do the 1000 carbs have this port? I will either be using a single carb conversion or the 1000 carbs. How does it identify third from fourth?
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

There is a bundle of wires coming from transmission, one for each gear. So the box uses gear selection and vacuum for timing.

In lieu of no vacuum signal, I believe but don’t know as fact, that it will default to roughly 37 degrees, same as earlier years. If so, you will be fine without it. You’ll probably get a few more mpg if you can get them hooked up.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
70sbudget
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by 70sbudget »

ericheath wrote:There is a bundle of wires coming from transmission, one for each gear. So the box uses gear selection and vacuum for timing.

In lieu of no vacuum signal, I believe but don’t know as fact, that it will default to roughly 37 degrees, same as earlier years. If so, you will be fine without it. You’ll probably get a few more mpg if you can get them hooked up.

Well my heat just went kaboom
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

70sbudget wrote:
Shadowjack wrote:The vacuum line connects to a port on the #4 intake runner. It's not needed to test; only works in 4th and 5th. Just plug the intake port.
Do the 1000 carbs have this port? I will either be using a single carb conversion or the 1000 carbs. How does it identify third from fourth?
no, but there is a hose from one carb to the valve at the top front of the carbs. The 1000's do not have an ECU unit, but points which have a centrifical advance
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

If the engine came from a bike with a digital dash, the neutral switch has a wire for every gear, because the gear indicator appears on the dash. Cheaper models just have the neutral, 4th, and 5th wires. Those just have an OD light on the dash in 5th.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

speaking of 1200's..... where the shift mechanism is behind the "transmission cover" (lower front of engine where the water pump and oil filter is....) there is a switch that indicates which gear. As several have mentioned, it changes the advance depending on the gear. It is easy to not think about getting into the right place when you remove the transmission cover (don't ask how I know). And DO NOT use after market gaskets for the transmission cover they are often too thin and bind up the shift mechanism.
-Rodger-