76 GL1000 final drive rebuild

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: 76 GL1000 final drive rebuild

Post by Old Fogey »

The pinion bearing is renewable. Spacers in varying sizes are still available from CMSnl.
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-gl1000-gold ... F++13.html
As has been noted already, the taper roller bearings will have to be reused.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
pjlogue
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: 76 GL1000 final drive rebuild

Post by pjlogue »

I finally had a chance to finish up the final drive I was working on. As I said previously I ended up removing the tapered bearings from my current drive and installing them, along with the spacer and shim into the drive I bought off e-bay. The ring gear bearings are new as are all the seals and gaskets. I made a tool to torque the bearing retainer to spec and have the pinion shaft nut torqued to 58 Ft-Lb. This provided 3.8 in-Lb. of torque on the assembly with just the pinion shaft installed and seal unseated. Tamped the shaft seal in afterward. Gear backlash was adjusted to 0.0037". I ended up having to carefully hone a spacer ring down. The ones I bought from CMSL had rust on them. After honing I checked the thickness around the ring to be sure it was within 0.0001".

When the weather gets warmer I'll take it out for a test. I'll change the gear oil after ~500 mi to be sure any material from new wear patterns on the gears is removed. The drive should last another 40+ years. I will not last that long. I now have a reconditioned final drive, reconditioned rear hub, new spokes and new rear tire. Spring seems like an eternity away!

-P.
Attachments
final drive after1.jpg
final drive after1.jpg (220.37 KiB) Viewed 122 times