Turn Signal Upgrades

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Funkdoctor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Turn Signal Upgrades

Post by Funkdoctor »

I have either found some that are to puny and appear not obvious to drivers. The stock ones are fine I am just trying to look at some different options. I have been on Saber Cycles and Revzilla. Just not impressed. Please feel free to drop some knowledge or even pics of yours. I have seen a lot of people riding without signals, which in DC is a deathwish.
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Turn Signal Upgrades

Post by flyin900 »

Larger is better IMO and an upgrade to LED bulbs in the stock housing is an option for brighter output while lowering the current demand on the system.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Just for visibility and safety I have mostly stuck with stock on my builds. The one 78 I did I removed the 3-4 inch extensions on the back and brought it closer to the tail light. It is illegal but most folks don't know that and it looks a bit less obtrusive to me.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

stock with led bulbs is what I'm gong to do..
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I have 4" LED truck/trailer lights on Mr.H for the rear turn signals
Rear July 2019.jpg
Rear July 2019.jpg (125.08 KiB) Viewed 171 times
And little LED bike signals on the front. They are good and bright but fairly unobtrusive (note that the right signal is on the sidecar) when not flashing and besides I can see what vehicles coming from that direction are doing. After 10 years they still work fine but the rubber stalks are deteriorating (I have bought replacements if I ever get around to installing them).
Note that these signals do not work as marker lights but I do have the LED driving/marker lights below the headlight and there is a marker light on the sidecar fender.
7 New lights installed.JPG
7 New lights installed.JPG (132.32 KiB) Viewed 171 times
For the rear of my winter machine I installed 48 LED panels (from eBay - intended for car dome lights) in an old set of Suzuki signals I had.
Eccles rear 2 Oct 2015.JPG
Eccles rear 2 Oct 2015.JPG (141.19 KiB) Viewed 171 times
And on the front I have a trailer turn signal on the sidecar and the original left signal in the fairing, both with 48 LED panels inside them (these LED panels have been in use for about 12 years and still work fine).
Nov 13 2018 2.jpg
Nov 13 2018 2.jpg (112.72 KiB) Viewed 171 times
In the rectangular Suzuki turn signals (this would work for the rectangular signals from late '70s-early '80s Hondas too) on the back and the trailer signal on the front of the sidecar I simply removed the sockets & reflectors, hot melted blocks of styrofoam in place, glued the LED panels onto the foam and added new wiring. The turn signal in the fairing (this is the same fairing as the GL1100 has) required a bit more effort to do right. I started by sawing off the reflector & socket and filing the back smooth so that all that remains is the lens and enough of the rest for the rubber gasket to still work. Then I cut a piece of plastic to fit behind it and attached the LED panels to that. As originally connected the smaller (24 LED) panel was for running light and the larger (48 LED) one turn signal (the sidecar front signal is the same) but since I added the 1.5W "eagle eye" LED running lights (the left one is barely visible hanging below the fairing in the pic above and the right one is the light spot near the right side of the sidecar body an inch below the belt rail) I connected both panels to the turn signals.
Fairing turn signal with LEDs.JPG
Fairing turn signal with LEDs.JPG (74.89 KiB) Viewed 171 times
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....