Neutral Light Switch - Well, Well, Well

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Neutral Light Switch - Well, Well, Well

Post by BlueThunder »

We all know the problem with dirty contacts with the neutral light switch. The neutral light will not go fully out - kinda of a low glow no matter what gear one was in. Or the neutral light would not even light. The source of the problem is that the switch contacts are in oil and with time, oxidize or engine deposits "gunk" on them, rendering the faulty operation of the neutral light.

The real problem is that replacing the neutral light switch is a major pain in the butt. Prying the front of the motor up to remove the defective switch was simply not worth it. In my case, the task was relegated to the bottom of my maintenance list with priority lower than low. I figured it would be replaced when I pulled the motor.

I realize that a kitten may die but I only use Castrol motorcycle oil (20W50). Been using only Castrol since the my first bike (CB360T) in 1976. Without sounding like a commercial, I personally believe that this oil is the best especially for air cooled motors. Why do I mention this? Well, Castrol is a detergent oil in which engine deposits are "cleaned". After using this oil in my GL1000 for two years, the neutral light functions correctly! The neutral light illuminates when it should and extinguishes when it should. That is, the dirty contacts have been "cleaned".

Just throwing it out there for those whose neutral light switches don't work correctly. I can now remove this low priority item from the maintenance list. anim-cheers1
...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Neutral Light Switch - Well, Well, Well

Post by desertrefugee »

Aren't you glad you never got to that task?
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by BlueThunder »

desertrefugee wrote:Aren't you glad you never got to that task?
dancr
...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

not denigrating your use of Castrol, I've had good luck for the same issue with a thorough diesel flush. then I only run Rotella.
but YMMV.
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

My neutral light is something I've just decided to live with, but I'm also getting the impression a clutch job is in my future.

I realize both of these are jobs that I can do with the engine in, but after doing a frame-down restoration of a CB750, pulling the engine on the 'wing doesn't seem too bad.

Besides, it needs some paint anyway.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
flyday58
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by flyday58 »

Lucien Harpress wrote: I realize both of these are jobs that I can do with the engine in, but after doing a frame-down restoration of a CB750, pulling the engine on the 'wing doesn't seem too bad.
I'll second that emotion, I've had the motor out of my 750 five or six times in the last year and a half for various reasons. Takes longer to get the jack in the best position than most everything else. As for the neutral switch, I went ahead and dove in on the 76 LTD and got it done. It wasn't horrible, just getting your jaw set in the right position to get at the screws. I guess it's gonna be the same getting at the water pump cover JAS screw on the upper left corner. That's for another day. :orange
2005 BMW R1200GS
2008 BMW R1200RT
1988 Honda XR600R
1974 Yamaha GT80