Best Honda Goldwing year for Cafe Build

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Funkdoctor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Best Honda Goldwing year for Cafe Build

Post by Funkdoctor »

Hello everybody,

I am a newbie who is in the market for a Goldwing Cafe Racer Build. I know that after 81’ from my reading that they were longer moving forward. If anyone could give me direction before I pick up the wrong bike for the build I would most definitely appreciate it.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: Best Honda Goldwing year for Cafe Build

Post by Track T 2411 »

I'm not sure what you mean by 'moving forward,' but there is very little difference from '80 to '83, with the exception of the Aspencade, as far as ease of customizing. Here's my quick rundown:
75-77, 1000cc, best advertised performance, spoked wheels, slightly undersized forks, slightly inadequate brakes.
78-79, 1000cc, slightly de-tuned engine, Comstar wheels, same issues with forks and brakes.
80-81, 1100cc, available as a Standard or Interstate. Better gearing for highway (touring) heavier forks, and longer wheelbase. Reverse Comstar wheels.
82, 1100cc, Standard, Interstate, or Aspencade. Much the same as the 80-81's, but one inch smaller diameter and wider reverse Comstar (more tire choices nowadays). Improved braking system as well. The Aspencade had added features.
83, 1100cc, very similar to the 82 with the addition of ' linked' brakes (the foot pedal operates the rear caliper and one front caliper, the hand lever, the other front. Some people don't like 'em, but it can be changed.), as well as anti - dive front forks. Wheel size is the same as 82, but are cast aluminum. The Aspencade also went to a digital dash, which is a little unsightly, IMhO, and a little more difficult to change.
There are also several 1200 builds here, and although they require more modifications, might be considered as possibilities.
Simply put, it depends greatly on the look you specifically want, how much fabrication/ customization you want or are able to do, and your budget.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

I should add that if you're starting with a 75-79, a little fender work, lower bars, a different seat and turn signals, and off you go! Bikes with fairings, either Vetter or the later Hondaline fairings, will require more work, but are still relatively easy to convert.

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Funkdoctor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Funkdoctor »

Track T 2411 wrote:I should add that if you're starting with a 75-79, a little fender work, lower bars, a different seat and turn signals, and off you go! Bikes with fairings, either Vetter or the later Hondaline fairings, will require more work, but are still relatively easy to convert.
Nice. Which of these years are the heaviest?
delling3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by delling3 »

None of the Goldwings will ever be considered light, but in general, the bike gained weight as it evolved from a "standard" to a specialized "touring" bike, so for light weight, earlier is better.

I like café styling, an incorporated café elements in both of my GL-1000 builds. The 75-77 models had spoked wheels, which are more "traditional café" style. If you want that look, and you start with one of these models, you will have less work to do up front.
delling3

1979 Yamaha XS750SF

Previous:
1978 GL1000 - JUNE 2017 BOTM: Sold
2006 Kawasaki Concours: Sold
1995 Kawasaki Concours: Crashed/totalled.
1976 GL1000: LAST RESTORATION, sold
1981 Honda CB900F Supersport: 3rd restoration, sold.
1979 Yamaha XS-750F: 2nd restoration, sold.
1982 Honda FT-500 Ascot: First (only) new bike. Family forces sale.
1973 CB500 Four: First restoration, long gone.
1972 Suzuki TS-100: First bike, sold.

Only dead fish go with the flow . . .
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by RB »

1100's I'd stick with 75-77's for cafe and 75 fastest..
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
Funkdoctor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Funkdoctor »

I’d like to thank you all for your input and guidance. I see a ton of Aspencades around me. If I were to strip off all of the fairings and bags from the bike. How much weight would be shed?
delling3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by delling3 »

Aspencades are tough, cuz the fairings are so integrated into the bodywork, and hide a lot. Takes a lot of work to strip one down.
delling3

1979 Yamaha XS750SF

Previous:
1978 GL1000 - JUNE 2017 BOTM: Sold
2006 Kawasaki Concours: Sold
1995 Kawasaki Concours: Crashed/totalled.
1976 GL1000: LAST RESTORATION, sold
1981 Honda CB900F Supersport: 3rd restoration, sold.
1979 Yamaha XS-750F: 2nd restoration, sold.
1982 Honda FT-500 Ascot: First (only) new bike. Family forces sale.
1973 CB500 Four: First restoration, long gone.
1972 Suzuki TS-100: First bike, sold.

Only dead fish go with the flow . . .
Funkdoctor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Funkdoctor »

delling3 wrote:Aspencades are tough, cuz the fairings are so integrated into the bodywork, and hide a lot. Takes a lot of work to strip one down.
Thanks. So would the Interstate model 80-81 be easier to break down? I’m sorry I am just trying to get the knowledge base down.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Funkdoctor wrote:
delling3 wrote:Aspencades are tough, cuz the fairings are so integrated into the bodywork, and hide a lot. Takes a lot of work to strip one down.
Thanks. So would the Interstate model 80-81 be easier to break down? I’m sorry I am just trying to get the knowledge base down.
IMhO, there isn't much difference in the overall work involved between the Interstate and Aspencade, unless it has the digital gauges. Oh, and I guess, the air compressor for suspension... The 1100's fairing, bags, and trunk are all really add - ons to the Standard model. The wiring to the fairing is simple plug- in sub - harnesses, as are the directionals in the saddlebags. Basically, one would only need a headlight, bucket and ears, directionals, and mirrors up front, along with directionals in the rear, to have a naked Wing. The details of the look you want to achieve is what makes it a bit more complicated.

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Having stripped an 83 aspencade I would recommend that you stay away from that year (aspencade only) for your cafe project due to the digital dash setup etc.(You may not have the aversion to the digital dash pod that I did) I changed my bike out to gauges from an 82 aspencade (analogue) along with buying the other items already mentioned from here there and everywhere (a lot of pieces came from Ebay). All 1100's except the 83 aspencade will be easier. If I were to do a bike cafe style I would use a gl1000.Just a personal preference. I am currently working on a 1978 gl1000. But unless you find a naked one you are still going to need,headlight assembly, turn signals and mounts front and rear at bare minimum.
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1999 Valkyrie CT 1500 goes by the moniker "Valerie"
1978 Gl1000 "Loki" new project going to be a Cafe Convertible
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
Funkdoctor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Funkdoctor »

Jonesz wrote:Having stripped an 83 aspencade I would recommend that you stay away from that year (aspencade only) for your cafe project due to the digital dash setup etc.(You may not have the aversion to the digital dash pod that I did) I changed my bike out to gauges from an 82 aspencade (analogue) along with buying the other items already mentioned from here there and everywhere (a lot of pieces came from Ebay). All 1100's except the 83 aspencade will be easier. If I were to do a bike cafe style I would use a gl1000.Just a personal preference. I am currently working on a 1978 gl1000. But unless you find a naked one you are still going to need,headlight assembly, turn signals and mounts front and rear at bare minimum.

action1 on that note no Aspencade. Naked it is.
UK_Andy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by UK_Andy »

Id say an 83 Interstate is the best to use for a cafe race, but Im biased

page/Welcome
Funkdoctor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Funkdoctor »

UK_Andy wrote:Id say an 83 Interstate is the best to use for a cafe race, but Im biased

page/Welcome
How so?
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

In my opinion, the best years for a true cafe style are the '78 and '79 bikes, primarily because the tank line. Not my bike.

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing