C5 ignition

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: C5 ignition

Post by millerdog »

millerdog wrote:
Whiskerfish wrote:What does Paul recommend for the gap? I know with the dyna and the green coils I go to .035
Starting plug gap is .028 to .030. Then you go down from there. They recommend the smallest gap possible, while still maintaining performance. I purchased some EMI shielding for the plug wires. Don’t know if that’ll help, but it can’t hurt I suppose. Gonna play around with the plug gaps too. I can’t believe I’m having this much trouble with this.
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I run mine .30
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

CYBORG wrote:I run mine .30
I’m gonna try that. Start with the widest gap recommended, and go down from there. I feel like I’m getting closer. It’s not nearly as bad as it was.
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I think the proximity of the plug wires may have been a big part of the problem. However the wires on mine were way to long and I just routed them around the engine to make them fit, and I have no problems. Just saying.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

CYBORG wrote:I think the proximity of the plug wires may have been a big part of the problem. However the wires on mine were way to long and I just routed them around the engine to make them fit, and I have no problems. Just saying.
My thinking exactly. I’ve already cut my wires to fit unfortunately. May have to consider another set if I can’t sort this out. I’m hoping the shielding helps out.
Explorer
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Explorer »

millerdog wrote:Latest update. I rerouted some wires. Noticed I had some module wires a little close to the plug wires. Cranked it up a minute ago, and it will rev past 6 grand easily sitting still. Raining now, so I can’t take it out. I have high hopes. LOL. I’m hoping ignition was being scattered because of energy off the plug wires. Man, I’m excited. Stupid rain. LOL
You could always try shielding those low voltage wires if you think their close proximity to the plug wires might be the problem, most likely some aluminum foil under some electrical tape wrapped around them would work.

We do it all the time at work to stop close proximity high voltage wires influencing low voltage control wiring.
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Explorer wrote:
millerdog wrote:Latest update. I rerouted some wires. Noticed I had some module wires a little close to the plug wires. Cranked it up a minute ago, and it will rev past 6 grand easily sitting still. Raining now, so I can’t take it out. I have high hopes. LOL. I’m hoping ignition was being scattered because of energy off the plug wires. Man, I’m excited. Stupid rain. LOL
You could always try shielding those low voltage wires if you think their close proximity to the plug wires might be the problem, most likely some aluminum foil under some electrical tape wrapped around them would work.

We do it all the time at work to stop close proximity high voltage wires influencing low voltage control wiring.
I’ve got 12 ft of shielding on the way. I’m wrapping everything! LOLOL
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

The latest. Got my shielding in, and shielded all the ignition wires except for the plug wires. Same thing. No go after 6 grand. I’m going to send the unit back to be tested. If it tests good, I guess that’s it for me with the C5. Back to a Dyna. I’ve done everything humanly possible for a plug and play. I’m not about to start messing with jets.