Keys

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

DUGG
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Keys

Post by DUGG »

My 81 came with two keys, one for the ignition and one for everything else. The key cut is opposite on the two keys. Is it possible to get on key that fits everything ? The extra key on the ring is chipping up the paint on the handle bar clamps
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Keys

Post by flyin900 »

More than likely someone replaced the ignition switch with one that fits that key and the remaining locks fit the other key which are probably the original set that was supplied with the bike.
Without the original ignition set that matched every other lock, I am not sure if someone who specializes in keys could key the current ignition set to match your remaining locks on the bike.
There is a key guy on here who maybe able to help you once someone come along and can identify him. I think his name is Ron and he is probably listed under suppliers, or another service section area.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
DUGG
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by DUGG »

Thanks, that is what I suspected also. I guess I’ll look around for a 81 ignition switch and see about getting it rekeyed
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

I don't know if the ignition switch can be re-keyed, but the helmet locks and tank latches can be rekeyed. I just did this for the CB1123 Resto-Mod I'm finishing up and now one key fits all. It's actually quite easy and the write-up for doing it is here: https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11330

Mucho thankos to Roncar for this very helpful write-up.
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1983 Honda CB1100F Super Sport - Red 1123 Resto-Mod
1978 Honda GL1000
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

And Roncar is "the key guy"...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
pjlogue
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by pjlogue »

Rekeying the cores isn't hard. You can buy core kits off ebay. There are only 4-5 heights to the wafers used in the cores. I had the same problem of one key for ignition and another for the tank cover (I don't have helmet locks) I got lucky and just needed to rearrange the wafer order of the tank cover core to make the ingnition key work. A lock shop would probably be able to do it if you brought the cores into them.

-P.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I also prefer to only have one key per bike but the easiest way to stop the 2nd key from chipping your paint would be to start hanging your keys on a belt keyring and putting the keys on separate clips. Mine is a simple strap with a D ring that my belt goes through and I put the keys on snap hooks (the cheap kind from the hardware store that are a piece of bent spring steel) so that only the key required and its clip are near the keyswitch.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Sidecar Bob wrote:I also prefer to only have one key per bike but the easiest way to stop the 2nd key from chipping your paint would be to start hanging your keys on a belt keyring and putting the keys on separate clips. Mine is a simple strap with a D ring that my belt goes through and I put the keys on snap hooks (the cheap kind from the hardware store that are a piece of bent spring steel) so that only the key required and its clip are near the keyswitch.
I can't quite visualize this 'simple strap with a D ring' with snap hooks set-up, Sidecar Bob. :-?
How's about a photo or two of your unique solution, please? Thanks! tumb2
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

I put the keys on seperate small split rings and carry them on a cheap (not for climbing) carabiner ....

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

gltriker wrote:I can't quite visualize this 'simple strap with a D ring' with snap hooks set-up, Sidecar Bob. :-?
How's about a photo or two of your unique solution, please? Thanks! tumb2
I hope you appreciate this. I've dug out manuals to look things up for people lots of times and gone out to the garage in my PJs look at stuff (or to grab one of those manuals) in in winter more than a few times to help people on bike forums but this is the first time I've ever taken my pants off for someone :roll: :roll: :roll:
Keys on belt.JPG
Keys on belt.JPG (125.38 KiB) Viewed 359 times
(Seriously, every time this comes up I think I need to take a pic of my keyring and I was about to change into my grubby work clothes anyway.)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

Very good bob.
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I think I've had that loop for about 20 years (it replaced an identical one with the same d-ring). If you look carefully, all 3 of the clips are different because they were bought at different times over the 30 years or so that I've carried my keys on my belt (I am getting old, aren't I?) The keys for the bikes aren't there because I leave the key for the bike I'm using in it when it is parked inside the locked garage and I leave the key for the bike that is in storage in it in the locked shed. There are a couple of other keys on clips that don't need to carry every day.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

action1 Got it. ;) tumb2
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
rockyhayes
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by rockyhayes »

Does anyone know of a source for the wafers these days? Listings for Honda wafers on EBay do not look like the ones from my 77 key cylinders.

I called a local locksmith and he told me even he cannot get parts for 70something Honda vehicles. I hope he is simply mis-informed...