Chain Drive and

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Chain Drive and

Post by low-side »

It looks like the motocopter handles the drive in a similar fashion to what I described earlier and uses torsion bar rear suspension to avoid the use of a coil-over shock. Torsion bars and leaf springs have a degree of self dampening, so it probably works OK without a shock (or it's underslung and I can't see it). A disc brake on the shaft running across the back of the engine is a neat touch.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

ericheath wrote:... the 10-25% boost to the axle would be a boon.
When they talk about the power losses in shaft drives they are usually comparing engines with transverse crankshafts that require the direction of rotation to be changed at both ends of the driveshaft. With longitudinal crankshafts in GoldWings, the losses would be halved.

But I'm with Cyborg on this one. Whenever the subject of converting a 'Wing or a CX (which also has the engine in the frame the right way) to chain drive comes up I just can't understand why anyone would want to do something that will make their bike work less well or be less convenient to use.

Besides, if chain drives were that much better wouldn't cars have them?

Personally, I really learned to dislike chain drives by driving a chain drive sidecar outfit for several winters. Even if I heaved the beast onto its centrestand and knelt in the slush while wiping the chain off and re-lubing it religiously, every time it rained or snowed it still needed a new chain & sprockets every spring. (Yes, I understand that o or x ring chains don't let the water in between the pins & rollers but there will always be wear between the rollers and the sprockets.)
After the last time I vowed that I will never a chain drive motorcycle for regular use again.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

Sidecar Bob wrote:.......I just can't understand why anyone would want to do something that will make their bike work less well or be less convenient to use.
That is a rather subjective statement.
any modification could be an improvement or detraction, depending on the intended use of the bike.

Personally, I think that adding an extra wheel to a motorcycle is not an improvement, but I don't discourage
others from doing it.

Torching off the rear shocks and adding a leaf spring is also something I don't see the point of, but if that's what somebody wants to do to their bike, I say .... go for it.

It's a big world out there with plenty of room for all of us to improve or destroy our motorcycles, (depending on a person's perspective). Just because I might not like it, doesn't mean that it's wrong.

Different strokes for different folks and all.
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

dontwantapickle wrote:
Sidecar Bob wrote:.......I just can't understand why anyone would want to do something that will make their bike work less well or be less convenient to use.
That is a rather subjective statement.
any modification could be an improvement or detraction, depending on the intended use of the bike.

Personally, I think that adding an extra wheel to a motorcycle is not an improvement, but I don't discourage
others from doing it.

Torching off the rear shocks and adding a leaf spring is also something I don't see the point of, but if that's what somebody wants to do to their bike, I say .... go for it.

It's a big world out there with plenty of room for all of us to improve or destroy our motorcycles, (depending on a person's perspective). Just because I might not like it, doesn't mean that it's wrong.

Different strokes for different folks and all.
What would be the improvement gained by converting a GW to a chain?
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

I can think of a few different reasons why someone might consider it.
But for a definite answer (and not just a opinion), you should probably ask a person who has actually done it.
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

dontwantapickle wrote:I can think of a few different reasons why someone might consider it.
But for a definite answer (and not just a opinion), you should probably ask a person who has actually done it.
Well, not to be picky but you did make the statement.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

1. looks
2. rear tire options
3. gearing changes
4. to upset the purist and naysayers
5. just because they want to

Just a few valid reasons off of the top of my head.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

whatever
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

dontwantapickle wrote:1. looks
2. rear tire options
3. gearing changes
4. to piss off the purist and naysayers
5. just because they want to

Just a few valid reasons off of the top of my head.
I don't really understand your opinions on this matter. Perhaps you can help me, and other form members, understand where you are coming from. Would help if you could explain what kind of bike, or bikes, you have. How and where you ride them. How long you have been riding. What was your longest ride. What kind of awards. or trophy's your bikes have won. Do you build bikes, or restore them. Is it really your intent to "upset the purest and naysayers". Inquiring minds want to know . No judgment, just interested
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

HOTT’s words after his Ol’ Sparky build started, “Why? Because we can.” That pretty much sums it up. If you want to try something, try it. This is a forum. The gentleman asked some questions, people opined. That’s what it’s about. Everyone gets to make the best decision in their own judgement. Different opinions don’t make us different. Loving the old Goldwings, stock or modified. That’s what it’s all about. The wealth of knowledge here is amazing.

A good suggestion- just a suggestion- is not to experiment on a really nice stock bike. Older tired bikes are around for a few bills.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I agree
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

CYBORG wrote: I don't really understand your opinions on this matter. Perhaps you can help me, and other form members, understand where you are coming from. Would help if you could explain what kind of bike, or bikes, you have. How and where you ride them. How long you have been riding. What was your longest ride. What kind of awards. or trophy's your bikes have won. Do you build bikes, or restore them. Is it really your intent to "upset the purest and naysayers". Inquiring minds want to know . No judgment, just interested
I don't know what answering any of those questions has to do with anything, especially in a "technical" forum,
but OK........ I'll play along.

... what kind of bike, or bikes, you have?
right now in the shop i have :
1 - 2002 Valkyrie
1 - 1981 GL1100
1 - 1980 GL1100
2 - 1976 GL 1000's
1 - 1983 Husky XC500
1 - 1972 Yamaha DT1

... How and where you ride them?
How? - usually two up and exceeding the posted speed limit.
Where? - everywhere. But I try to stay out of the big cities, I hate riding in traffic.
Since I live in the Rocky mountains, most of the time I ride in the mountains, except when I'm out riding in the desert southwest.

... How long you have been riding?
I'm 55 now, and I got my first mini bike when I was 7. (you do the math)

... What was your longest ride?
In 2010 my woman and I took off for the summer and rode 20,080 miles before returning home.
(yes, that's 20 thousand miles).
My longest 1 day ride was by myself, from Toledo,Ohio to North Platte, Nebraska - 966 miles.

... What kind of awards. or trophy's your bikes have won?
A BSA victor that I recently finished just won the 2018 AHRMA Vintage MX Classic 500cc. National Championship
last month.
And probably a dozen local bike show trophys over the years.

... Do you build bikes, or restore them?
Yes, both! I have owned over 100 bikes in my lifetime, with 15 (I think) of them being goldwings.

... Is it really your intent to "upset the purest and naysayers"?
Of course!
When I was younger I did it every chance that I could with my bikes. Now that I'm a bit older, I choose my battles.
It's all a part of that "rebel biker" in me, I can't help it.

I hope that my answers satisfy you Cyborg,
and that my motorcycling experiences qualifies me to have an opinion here on your forum.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

How about them cubbies. :roll: lolol

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

dontwantapickle wrote:
CYBORG wrote: I don't really understand your opinions on this matter. Perhaps you can help me, and other form members, understand where you are coming from. Would help if you could explain what kind of bike, or bikes, you have. How and where you ride them. How long you have been riding. What was your longest ride. What kind of awards. or trophy's your bikes have won. Do you build bikes, or restore them. Is it really your intent to "upset the purest and naysayers". Inquiring minds want to know . No judgment, just interested
I don't know what answering any of those questions has to do with anything, especially in a "technical" forum,
but OK........ I'll play along.

... what kind of bike, or bikes, you have?
right now in the shop i have :
1 - 2002 Valkyrie
1 - 1981 GL1100
1 - 1980 GL1100
2 - 1976 GL 1000's
1 - 1983 Husky XC500
1 - 1972 Yamaha DT1

... How and where you ride them?
How? - usually two up and exceeding the posted speed limit.
Where? - everywhere. But I try to stay out of the big cities, I hate riding in traffic.
Since I live in the Rocky mountains, most of the time I ride in the mountains, except when I'm out riding in the desert southwest.

... How long you have been riding?
I'm 55 now, and I got my first mini bike when I was 7. (you do the math)

... What was your longest ride?
In 2010 my woman and I took off for the summer and rode 20,080 miles before returning home.
(yes, that's 20 thousand miles).
My longest 1 day ride was by myself, from Toledo,Ohio to North Platte, Nebraska - 966 miles.

... What kind of awards. or trophy's your bikes have won?
A BSA victor that I recently finished just won the 2018 AHRMA Vintage MX Classic 500cc. National Championship
last month.
And probably a dozen local bike show trophys over the years.

... Do you build bikes, or restore them?
Yes, both! I have owned over 100 bikes in my lifetime, with 15 (I think) of them being goldwings.

... Is it really your intent to "upset the purest and naysayers"?
Of course!
When I was younger I did it every chance that I could with my bikes. Now that I'm a bit older, I choose my battles.
It's all a part of that "rebel biker" in me, I can't help it.

I hope that my answers satisfy you Cyborg,
and that my motorcycling experiences qualifies me to have an opinion here on your forum.
thankyou. That helps a lot. Having ridden in the Rockies, and the desert,(did the California 1000 one year), I can understand your dislike of riding in the cities. I do have a love of riding in the Evergreen Colorado areas. Lived in Dillion a while. I have owned my 78 since 1980, has nearly half a million miles on it, and was built by me to help me deal with a back problem I have had since childhood. I have been riding a little over 60 years, and some of my experiences can be found on the internet by googling Doug Snavely motorcycles. I hope we can meet in the wind one day and exchange experiences. Safe riding
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
digschopper
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by digschopper »

There are industrial 90° drives that once on an adapter plate,might work. Personally I'd keep shaft.