Left side Cooling Tube O-ring Leaking

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

dbtroudy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Left side Cooling Tube O-ring Leaking

Post by dbtroudy »

I'm putting my '76 yellow GW back together and have run into a problem getting one of the cooling tube o-rings to seat correctly. It's the o-ring that fits into the thermostat housing on the left side of the engine. I am using Honda OEM o-rings and have cleaned both the cooling tube collar as well as the housing where it slips into. Prior to this rebuild and re-assembly, I have fortunately never had an issue setting one of these o-rings. This time, I've gone through 3 o-rings and the tube is still leaking at the joint and four attempts to reset the tube. When I disassemble the connection, the o-ring is not pinched or twisted in anyway. The other end of the tube that connects to the elbow mounted on the head is solid and doesn't leak, just the one that connects to the thermostat housing. I'm using plumber's grease to hold the o-ring in place and it feels like it is snapping into place correctly. However it continues to leak radiator fluid after I assembly the joint and fill the radiator with new fluid. What am I missing here?

Don
DBTroudy
Fullerton, CA

'03 GW GL1800 Yellow
'76 GW GL1000 LTD #859
'75 CB200T
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Left side Cooling Tube O-ring Leaking

Post by gltriker »

Have you considered reversing the coolant tube end for end, and reassemble the components with new orings?

If you have a cooling system pressure tester, or can rent/borrow one, that tool will save quite a bit of previously lost time and avoid leaking coolant onto your engine.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
pjlogue
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by pjlogue »

Check to be sure your cooling tube end isn't bent slightly out of round. The tubes are thin and can get damaged easily. If it's out of round you can carefully bend it back into shape. Use a lubricant on the O ring when you go to assemble it. Silicone grease, Glycerin will work. You can also use a sparing amount of cooling system sealant (silicone seal)

-P.
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

If the interior of the housing is totally clean inside then I would suspect the tube is slightly out of round, or possibly the cleaning has enlarged the hole on the housing. (not likely unless you used some aggressive motorized cleaner/brush.) Turning the tube around as suggested may offer a solution, or point to a problem on that end of the pipe if the leak follows the tube orientation.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
dbtroudy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by dbtroudy »

"Check to be sure your cooling tube end isn't bent slightly out of round."
Both cooling tubes are in good condition and the ends are round like they are supposed to be.

I solved my o-ring problem this evening. I took a pin flashlight and shined it under the carb rack and under thecooling tubes. What I saw was a small drip coming from what appeared to be the rear thermostat housing bolt at the back of the housing. That seemed odd, so I once again drained the radiator, pulled the carb rack so I could see what exactly was dripping. With the carb rack off, it was easy to see that the left side cooling tube wasn't leaking at all, it was the right side tube o-ring where it enters the thermostat housing. This tube sits just to the left of the engine case seam and any dripping radiator fluid would appear to be coming from the left side cooling tube. I disconnect the right side cooling pipe and found a small flat spot on the o-ring. Replaced the o-ring with a new one, lubed the o-ring with plumbers grease and reconnected the tube and cooling tube elbow. Refilled the radiator and WOW, no leaks from either cooling tube. I'll check it again in the morning, but right now, problem appears to be solved.

Thank you all for your input and recommendations!

Don
DBTroudy
Fullerton, CA

'03 GW GL1800 Yellow
'76 GW GL1000 LTD #859
'75 CB200T