gears constantly engaged

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: gears constantly engaged

Post by robin1731 »

That is normal. Just the friction from the oil on the trans shaft sill make it do that. The fact that if you hold the tire and it doesn't turn confirms you have no issue.

Most times with the engine running, bike on center stand, the rear tire will turn some too. Normal operation.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

That is normal. Even with when shifted into neutral the the wheel will try to turn when the engine does but if you can stop it easily with the brake (don't try grabbing it in case it won't stop easily) or if the vehicle doesn't move forward when the wheel is on the ground it is only the oil in the transmission causing a bit of drag between the parts.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
stephen.mangnall
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by stephen.mangnall »

Ok if left this alone for a while to concentrate on the body panels, but its now time to get back to it. there are 2 bolts on the transmission cover that when tightened affect how freely the rear wheel will turn, all the other bolts make no difference no matter how tight they are screwed in, these 2 bolts are at 7 o'clock and 10 o'clock when looking at the cover from the front of the bike. if these are not screwed in enough then coolant leaks, when screwed in tight enough just to stop the coolant leak the rear wheel becomes very hard to rotate, and gears hard to select. the only thing in there that is different from the strip down is the bearing cover, one of the lugs broke on removal and was replaced with one from a 78, the screw at 10 o'clock is very close to this cover, are there any differences in the covers between years on the GL1000...?
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

Dry clutch, as posted above if you can hold the wheel while turning the motor you're good to go. I have a kz1000 that sticks the clutch if I don't tie back the clutch ever. I pull the oil cap, pry the plates apart and all is good. Sticky Race oil.
78 GL 1000, 70 CB750 sandcast, 70 CB836 hot rod, 1124cc 750 dragbike resto project.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

stephen.mangnall wrote:SNIP
the only thing in there that is different from the strip down is the bearing cover, one of the lugs broke on removal and was replaced with one from a 78, the screw at 10 o'clock is very close to this cover, are there any differences in the covers between years on the GL1000...?
Are you referring to the clutch bearing or something in the front cover area? Clutch Pressure plates snap very easily when not assembled with extreme care.

A bind of the front cover affecting the shifting operation is a well known problem. Many of us have experienced it when using after market gaskets or over tightening the bolts. Not how that is causing a bind when trying to rotate the wheel is beyond me at the moment.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

I wonder if doubling up the gasket would solve the problem. Not really cheap, but might be the easiest solution...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
stephen.mangnall
Lead Member
Lead Member

Dont you hate how obvious the answer is after you have found what is causing the issue... yes this has been nearly 6 months...! i kept bypassing it with other things, comming back to it, getting frustrated, working on something else until finally last night the penny dropped... are you waiting for this...? when i stripped the engine for the rebuilt i broke a lug off the bearing cap, the one above the shift drum inside the transmission cover. i bought another drilled out the old screw and re-tapped it, but it was slightly off centre. didn't think anymore about it. Can you guess yet what is causing the problem? Yep the edge of the transmission cover is touching this bearing cap only just, so when the cover is tightened it puts just enough pressure on this cap to press the bearing against what is on the other side causing it to engage the rear wheel. i have spent weeks with blue grease on all the high spots on the shift drum, change arm etc fitting the cover and trying to see where it was touching but nothing. The bits touching are the edge of the transmission cover and the bottom pat of the bearing cap against the engine case, not a high spot...! all i have to do is grind a couple of mil off the transmission cover where it catches and off we go... just in case anyone is still reading after all that i spent last 6 months painting and building the rest of the bike, so no time wasted... :oops:
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Wow what a saga.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Explorer
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Explorer »

Man, I wish I hadn't have read this thread, I'm doing the exact same thing right now to a GL1100 motor and I gave up with the inch/pounds torque wrench because the click was just not consistent so I changed over to that good old German torque setting. Goodntight, with a regular 1/4" ratchet.
So let me ask you this? Did it go in and out of gear properly when it was all together, before it went back in the frame?

I just noticed, I might have missed a critical post. But still, did it?
stephen.mangnall
Lead Member
Lead Member

Yes everything works, can select all gears easily, engine runs smooth, starts immediately and I mean immediately. only issue was the rear wheel would spin with the engine in neutral and I didn't like that.