gears constantly engaged

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

stephen.mangnall
Lead Member
Lead Member

gears constantly engaged

Post by stephen.mangnall »

Just rebuilt my 75 GL1000 engine (every nut and bolt), put it in the frame, it starts up but i could not select any gears, took the front water pump cover off and i can now can select gears (Full gasket kit from Randakk's). Also the final drive hub is constantly engaged even when the bike is in neutral the final drive is spinning when the engine is running. I turn the engine off put the rear wheel on and it will not turn, looks like gears are always engaged..? dreading pulling the engine out and splitting again, although will be easier as everything is clean and lubricated.

Cheers from Australia.
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Re: gears constantly engaged

Post by Sagebrush »

An aftermarket transmission cover gasket can be too thin. There is very little clearance in the front of the engine and if the gasket is too thin or is torqued down too tight it can affect the shifting of the engine. The clearance between the shifting mechanism and the back of the transmission cover is very tight. Given that you took the transmission cover off and the bike and then it shifts fine I would say the gasket it your problem.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
stephen.mangnall
Lead Member
Lead Member

Thanks Sagebrush, just been playing in the garage, turned the engine via the kick started and changed gears, looks like the cover was preventing it from engaging neutral properly and not getting to first at all, now everything is working properly. Should i go with 2 gaskets or one gasket and some 3 bond gasket cement..?
P.S. cannot say how happy i am i don't have to split the cases again..... anim-cheers1
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Get an OEM gasket. Use just one. Not sure if they are still available from Honda but you find them on ebay all the time.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
stephen.mangnall
Lead Member
Lead Member

Thanks Robin1731, i have ordered a new OEM gasket, i will work on the rest of the bike until it arrives.
Boxer4
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Boxer4 »

That’s great news Stephen!!!
All things motorcycle.
82 Gl 1100 Café Racer
01 Harley Road King
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive

Post by Sagebrush »

Make sure to torque it to specs, do not over tighten.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Sagebrush wrote:Make sure to torque it to specs, do not over tighten.
You have time to get one of these too. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63837 ;)

1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

Honda still makes the transmission cover gasket
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
stephen.mangnall
Lead Member
Lead Member

OK quick update... fitted the OEM gasket, put the front cover back on very loosely and everything works fine, when I start to tighten the screws slowly not much passed finger tight things start to change, the rear wheel, although in neutral get harder to spin (definitely some resistance) and changing gears gets more difficult.? any idea's gents?
jdvorchak
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by jdvorchak »

There are a couple of things to consider. It is normal for a shaft drive bike to slowly spin the rear wheel at idle on the center stand. But you should be able to hit the rear brake and the wheel will stop spinning with no change in engine RPM.

Now I have seen more than one bike, that has been sitting for a long time, where rust forms on the clutch friction plates and steels locking the whole clutch assembly together. That is pretty normal. If you can put the bike in gear and pull the clutch and still roll the bike (engine running or not) you are good. If pulling the clutch all the way to the grip doesn't seem to release the rear wheel it is most likely rusted a little. Not a big deal. Put the bike on the center stand, engine off and clutch lever tied to the grip. Pull the shift lever up a few times to get in 3rd or 4th or even 5th gear. Rock the rear wheel backwards and forwards until the clutch frees up and the wheel will turn without spinning the engine. Only thing left to do, at that point, is to ride it!

Good luck.
New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help:
http://ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST

Don't fix it 'til it's broke...
The person with the most toys wins!
If it has wheels or a skirt you can't afford it.
Amateur Radio Station WW9L

71 CL350 with Bingham side car
2021 HD Triglide
2008 HD Dyna Low Rider
83 KZ1100L1 Son totaled it
83 KZ550LTD Shaft sold

Previous bikes: 84 GL1200 STD, 83 KZ550LTD, 83 CB1000, 78 CB400A, 82 CB900F, 79 CB750K, 2001 GL1800, 2000 Dyna Super Glide, 1972 CB350 K4, 1985 GL1200A, 1997 1200 Sportster, 84 GL1200I, 82 Honda CM400E, 81 Suzuki GS650L, 72 Triumph Bonneville 750, 72 Honda CB350, 66(?) Honda 305 Scrambler, 6? Yamaha yz250, 62 650 Matchless (Norton-Villers).
John
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

jdvorchak wrote:snip...………. It is normal for a shaft drive bike to slowly spin the rear wheel at idle on the center stand. But you should be able to hit the rear brake and the wheel will stop spinning with no change in engine RPM.
Chain drive bikes too. ;)

1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive

Post by Sagebrush »

Is your transmission cover dented or pushed in?
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

stephen.mangnall wrote:Just rebuilt my 75 GL1000 engine (every nut and bolt), put it in the frame, it starts up but i could not select any gears, took the front water pump cover off and i can now can select gears (Full gasket kit from Randakk's).
Sagebrush wrote:An aftermarket transmission cover gasket can be too thin. There is very little clearance in the front of the engine and if the gasket is too thin or is torqued down too tight it can affect the shifting of the engine. The clearance between the shifting mechanism and the back of the transmission cover is very tight. Given that you took the transmission cover off and the bike and then it shifts fine I would say the gasket it your problem.
Just to clarify:
- The water pump cover is part #13 in this drawing.
- The transmission cover is part #1
Which one are we talking about here?
GL1000 TRANSMISSION COVER - WATER PUMP - OIL FILTER.gif
GL1000 TRANSMISSION COVER - WATER PUMP - OIL FILTER.gif (100.97 KiB) Viewed 223 times
stephen.mangnall wrote:OK quick update... fitted the OEM gasket, put the front cover back on very loosely and everything works fine, when I start to tighten the screws slowly not much passed finger tight things start to change, the rear wheel, although in neutral get harder to spin (definitely some resistance) and changing gears gets more difficult.? any idea's gents?
jdvorchak wrote:Now I have seen more than one bike, that has been sitting for a long time, where rust forms on the clutch friction plates and steels locking the whole clutch assembly together. That is pretty normal. If you can put the bike in gear and pull the clutch and still roll the bike (engine running or not) you are good. If pulling the clutch all the way to the grip doesn't seem to release the rear wheel it is most likely rusted a little.
If the clutch was stuck like that, how would tightening the cover screws make it engage?
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
stephen.mangnall
Lead Member
Lead Member

Thanks for all the replies guys, I am talking about part #1 Transmission cover, I can hold the rear tire and use the kick starter to turn the engine over, if I do not hold the rear tire it turns with the engine.