1200 Heel/Toe Shifter

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

BadMonk
Lead Member
Lead Member

1200 Heel/Toe Shifter

Post by BadMonk »

I’ve searched multiple times and found a few threads, but nothing on point or conclusive. Maybe there’s additional information out there that I’ve not seen yet.

My lower legs and feet don’t operate well cuz of nerve damage making it difficult to use a standard gear shifter. My bikes for the last 25 years had heel/toe shifters. I really like h/t shifters, except on the GL1200. The Markland set-up that I had were awkward, like they were an afterthought.

My searches showed that J C Whitney sold a heel/toe shifter that didn’t need floorboards. I’d love to have that shifter but haven’t seen any on eBay. I’d even appreciate a picture or good description of it or any other h/t shifter that works.

Thanks in advance.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: 1200 Heel/Toe Shifter

Post by Rat »

Look at the bottom of the page for more threads on this topic ....
Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
BadMonk
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by BadMonk »

Been there and done that.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

I can't speak for a heel-toe that works without floorboards, but I can add my two cents.

My 1200 came with a floorboard and heel-toe shifter setup. It may have been a Markland, but I can't remember. Whichever it was, the important part was how the shifter was attached- there was a singular bracket on one side of the shifter, and a bolt holding the shifter on. This setup was garbage- I managed to actually almost lose the shifter when the bolt snapped, because of all the stress of only behind held on the one side.

When I replaced it I managed to find a set where the shifter actually sat inside of a fork, with the bolt running all the way through. This was the shifter was supported on both sides (rather than one), and was overall a MUCH more robust system.

If you do end up going for a set with floorboards, I'd definitely keep an eye out for the second type. My two cents, anyway.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
BadMonk
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by BadMonk »

Thanks for the response. Now I had two sets of boards/shifters with the fork arrangement. To me, both were awkward on the heel end. My h/t shifters, like on my Vic, were just raise the heel about an inch, drop it and it shifted. The 1200 wasn't like that. If the shifter on the 1200 was in a more 'traditional' place then I could try to make something, probably not pretty but functioning but I'm not the best fabricator. That's why I'd like to see what J C Whitney sold and how they fabricated it, esp since it worked without floor boards.

Otherwise, I'm really liking the 1200. Stripped it down, no trunk, no trunk support leftover, lowered and stuff.