Trouble starting Gas issue/ Tank Compromised?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

cob
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Trouble starting Gas issue/ Tank Compromised?

Post by cob »

Hi gentlemen: My mechanic had my gas tank resealed( he says KREME) since then it takes a long time to start and sometimes only on one bank until warm and moving then the other cyls start up. There is a yellowish strong tinge to the gas( new gas) which blows out of the right side pipe until warmer( Have a single pipe on each side). Bike very hard to start and cleaned carbs twice, I believe the slow jets are being clogged, bike is started only every couple of weeks. THe sealer I believe is drying in slow jet making starts horrific. Once running on all four it idles and runs well( passed slow jets at this point IMP. HELP HELP HELP. Changed gas and ran a number of tankfuls, The 'heavy yellow' tinge seems to say something HELP HELP HELP THANKS GUYS
Also how long to pull tank by mechanic who knows his business>
1976 GL1000
cob
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: Trouble starting Gas issue/ Tank Compromised?

Post by cob »

Also noted plugs kinda a fouled and wet . Do you use just choke to start or turn accelerator cable a few times before stsarting( I never used to) only starts wit choke FULL out first start, after that no issues ...thanks again
1976 GL1000
cob
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by cob »

Thanks will do that just choke. Any advice on very yellow gas tinge, didn't purchase it that way?
1976 GL1000
cob
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by cob »

If I do have to go the route how many hours to remove tank in your opinion thanks
1976 GL1000
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Sounds like the Kreme covered much of the inlet screens. I bought a Kreme kit before I started in on my wing and thought better of it. If I rellect correctly I believe some one here advised against using on a wing tank. Can't really remember, but I do remember turning my Kreme kit into the county hazardous waste dump.
PS. My bike still starts right up and runs.
I took my tank to a rad shop and had it done.
Wish I hadn't. I think with what I can do now I could have done a better job and save some cash.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

It does sound as it is a screen intake problem.

1. fuel filter? clean? is it catching anything?

Look into tank, is the sealer tacky?

If you empty the tank, you can see "some" of the screen from the top with a light, might want to see ....

Tank removal, should be about 2 hours shop time. Most that are "handy" with our wings can have it sitting on the floor in under an hour.......
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

cob wrote:Also noted plugs kinda a fouled and wet . Do you use just choke to start or turn accelerator cable a few times before stsarting( I never used to) only starts wit choke FULL out first start, after that no issues ...thanks again

Wet/fouled plugs don't point to not getting enough fuel. More the opposite.

I'm guessing you are working on the 76 that is in your sig line? If so twisting the throttle before start up does nothing as there is no accelerator pump. When cold you normally need to use the choke, yes.

I'm thinking, going by the above statement, that the tank liner not only may have the idle jets plugged but also is causing the float valve needles to possibly not close completely. That would explain the fouled plugs. And the reason for 2 of the cylinders to take awhile to finally run is they are getting to much fuel. Once the excess fuel burns off then they start running correctly.

Do you have a good fuel filter on the bike? Maybe run two, one before the fuel pump and one after, before the carbs.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder