Coolant Level ???

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Coolant Level ???

Post by Solina Dave »

I keep my '78 GL in storage about 5 minutes from my apartment. I was just over there, with a coffee, to sit and visit with it for a while. I find it to be good therapy. While I was there I checked the coolant reserve tank level (Cold). It read a little more than half way between the Low and Full lines. When I got back home I looked in the manual, and it says to run the engine at operating temperature, then check the level. It should be somewhere between the Low and Full lines (Hot). If it's Low, top it up to the Full line.
Does coolant expand at all when the engine heats up, and running at operating temperature? I know I should probably check the level as specified, but I was just curious if you think that my tank level would stay where it is (Cold). Or would it expand with the heat, and be likely to approach the Full mark?
Also, Does anyone know if there's a shelf life to a jug of 50/50 coolant?

Thanks........... anim-cheers1 ....Dave
"ASSUME NOTHING"

1st motorcycle-1977 Honda CB550F Super Sport
2nd motorcycle-1978 GL1000

"Not riding a motorcycle is wrong"
pjlogue
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: Coolant Level ???

Post by pjlogue »

1/2 way between lines when engine is cold is fine. Yes, the antifreeze expands when it heats up and would probably be close to the upper line when hot.

It's a good idea to also check the radiator level once in a while. If you have a small air leak in your system the leak will prevent the coolant in the overflow tank from being pulled into the radiator on cool down. Take tube (radiator to overflow tank tube) off so you don't siphon it out of the tank when you take the radiator cap off.

-P.
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

pjlogue wrote:1/2 way between lines when engine is cold is fine. Yes, the antifreeze expands when it heats up and would probably be close to the upper line when hot.

It's a good idea to also check the radiator level once in a while. If you have a small air leak in your system the leak will prevent the coolant in the overflow tank from being pulled into the radiator on cool down. Take tube (radiator to overflow tank tube) off so you don't siphon it out of the tank when you take the radiator cap off.

-P.
Thanks for that P. That's kind of what I figured for the antifreeze expanding when it got hot.
In regards to checking the rad level. Wouldn't one experience overheating if there was a problem with flow from the overflow tank, creating a low coolant level in the radiator?

Dave
"ASSUME NOTHING"

salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

If the system gets too low you would experience overheating but you can be slightly low and on the verge of problems but with no noticeable issues. Simply looking in the radiator occasionally when complete cold is a safe way to be sure and confirm all is well. A bit like your signature Assume nothing is best way.
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

salukispeed wrote:If the system gets too low you would experience overheating but you can be slightly low and on the verge of problems but with no noticeable issues. Simply looking in the radiator occasionally when complete cold is a safe way to be sure and confirm all is well. A bit like your signature Assume nothing is best way.
Thanks. I'll have to get into that habit. You'd think I'd know by now! :IDTS:
"ASSUME NOTHING"

pjlogue
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by pjlogue »

Your radiator can be a little low and the temps can be OK until you have stress on the engine/cooling system (heavy traffic, hot day, etc.) and then there isn't enough coolant in the system to carry the excess heat away from the engine and you overheat.

-P.
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

pjlogue wrote:Your radiator can be a little low and the temps can be OK until you have stress on the engine/cooling system (heavy traffic, hot day, etc.) and then there isn't enough coolant in the system to carry the excess heat away from the engine and you overheat.

-P.
Thanks again P. I'll keep an eye on it. anim-cheers1
"ASSUME NOTHING"

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

In a normally functioning coolant recovery system the level of coolant in the recovery tank will rise when the engine approaches optimum operating temperature and lower when the engine cools after it is shut off.

The rad cap has 2 pressure dependent (spring loaded) one way valves built into it. As the coolant warms up to the engine's optimum operating temperature it expands and the pressure increases. When the pressure in the rad exceeds the cap's rated pressure the pressure valve is forced open and coolant moves from the rad to the recovery tank, regulating the pressure in the rad at the optimum for efficient operation. When the engine is shut off and the coolant cools down the pressure in the cooling system decreases and the cap's recovery valve is forced open by the now greater pressure in the recovery tank so that coolant can be drawn from the tank back to the rad.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

Well put Bob. And very interesting. Thank you. So you're saying that if the coolant level is going up and down in the recovery tank, depending on whether the engine is hot or cold, then the rad cap is functioning properly. Correct? And If there was an leak in the cooling system, would that affect the system's pressure factor, and upset the efficient operation of the rad cap?
And also just one more thing. If there was a leak, even a small leak, wouldn't the floor under the bike be wet? :-?

Thanks again................Dave
PS...The wind's blowing big-time down here! And I was wondering if you had ever considered installing a sail on Mr.H, just for days like this? Fuel savings? anim-cheers1
"ASSUME NOTHING"

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

You've got it.

As for puddles, it depends on where the leak is. If it is dripping onto the top of the engine it can evaporate before it runs off (especially if the engine is hot at the time) and if it is leaking at the head gasket it will either end up in the combustion chamber (exits as steam) or the crankcase (milky oil).
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....