Twin Piston Calipers on a '78 GL

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Twin Piston Calipers on a '78 GL

Post by tomk1960 »

A good friend of mine who was a Honda dealer in TX for many years has been watching my progress with my 78 GL. Today he asked me why I was sticking with the stock single piston calipers. He suggested bolting on some dual piston calipers like the ones used on many of the early-to-mid 80's Hondas. I didn't think it was possible, since bolt patterns, geometries, etc. may vary. I wasn't sure that there was a caliper hanger that could bolt right on. Well I'm really happy that I listened to him. When I got home, I grabbed a spare right caliper and hanger from my stock of "F" parts. Guess what - it bolts right on and everything appears to line up perfectly!

Someone here must have done this before - maybe many of our members have? How did I not know this until now? It even looks like the brake lines will be the correct length. Instant brake improvement!
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1983 Honda CB1100F Super Sport - Red 1123 Resto-Mod
1978 Honda GL1000
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Re: Twin Piston Calipers on a '78 GL

Post by Oldewing »

WOW,

How did we miss this all the time...
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

yea really!!! awesome bolt on upgrade!
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

What bike are those twin calipers from? Not sure what you mean by "F".

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
hatchward
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by hatchward »

Hey guys “Old Fogey” did this years ago.
1982 GL1100 Std - Daily Driver
1982 GS750SZ Katana - Mostly Unmolested
1998 Valkyrie - Latest Aquisition
1984 GL1200 Aspencade - Undecided Project
Oldboy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Oldboy »

So did I.....
Cheers...

Just Wing-it
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

hatchward wrote:Hey guys “Old Fogey” did this years ago.
This is why I asked if I someone else has already done this. I figured someone must have and I just missed the post. If this great, yet simple upgrade isn't in the technical section yet, it should be.

All you need is a pair of left and right caliper brackets (aka hangers) from an '81 or '82 CB750F or CB900F. The left and right calipers are used on many models of Hondas from that timeframe, but I don't know if the hangers from other models besides the F's will work. There are physical differences, but maybe things still line up the way they should.

From a safety/braking standpoint, this is one of the biggest bangs you'll get for your buck without having to create anything special to make it work. I can't wait to see how the brakes feel once I finish up this project in September.
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1978 Honda GL1000
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

Well, if the calipers and hangers fit, does that mean the brake rotors will too? May be more options for aftermarket brake rotors.

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

Sugs wrote:Well, if the calipers and hangers fit, does that mean the brake rotors will too? May be more options for aftermarket brake rotors.
Yes, the stock rotors fit fine. They're actually very similar to the rotors used on the 81 and 82 CB750F and 900F. They're dimensionally the same, so aftermarket rotors that fit these bikes will fit the GL.
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1978 Honda GL1000
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

tomk1960 wrote:
Sugs wrote:Well, if the calipers and hangers fit, does that mean the brake rotors will too? May be more options for aftermarket brake rotors.
Yes, the stock rotors fit fine. They're actually very similar to the rotors used on the 81 and 82 CB750F and 900F. They're dimensionally the same, so aftermarket rotors that fit these bikes will fit the GL.
Tried looking on EBay for some, nothing to be found unless I was using the wrong keywords.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
digschopper
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by digschopper »

I've been wondering about this. I'm guessing the F master cylinder would complete the swap nicely. I wanted the smaller bore " flat" m.c. anyway for improved feel...
digschopper
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by digschopper »

Tom,did you use F or GL lower brakeline? I want some S.S. braided replacements.
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

digschopper wrote:I've been wondering about this. I'm guessing the F master cylinder would complete the swap nicely. I wanted the smaller bore " flat" m.c. anyway for improved feel...
I'm using a CB1100F master for this build. Any of the "F" masters will work fine with these calipers. There are others that will too.
digschopper wrote:Tom,did you use F or GL lower brakeline? I want some S.S. braided replacements.
It looks like the stock length GL lines will work. As soon as my new Galfer SS lines arrive, I will confirm.

I'm a dealer for Galfer and get good pricing. If anyone is interested, I can provide a kitted caliper upgrade that would include new SS lines, powder coated dual piston calipers and hangers, mounting bolts, and rebuilt with K&L pistons and seals and Vesrah pads. Any kits I sell will result in a donation made to NGW.
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1978 Honda GL1000
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

This is very cool. And the fact that it's been done before is irrelevant. It is not commonly known and I am VERY happy to see this. In fact, it really shouldn't be too much of a surprise. Honda took advantage of economies of scale and shared parts across a lot of models. For instance, the CBX shares the same front rotor as the early GLs. (Early CBX caliper is still single pot, but it gained the twin pistons with the Pro-Link incarnation).

Thanks for bringing this up, Tom. Dang it. Another bit to spend money on...
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Damferg
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Damferg »

tomk1960 wrote:A good friend of mine who was a Honda dealer in TX for many years has been watching my progress with my 78 GL. Today he asked me why I was sticking with the stock single piston calipers. He suggested bolting on some dual piston calipers like the ones used on many of the early-to-mid 80's Hondas. I didn't think it was possible, since bolt patterns, geometries, etc. may vary. I wasn't sure that there was a caliper hanger that could bolt right on. Well I'm really happy that I listened to him. When I got home, I grabbed a spare right caliper and hanger from my stock of "F" parts. Guess what - it bolts right on and everything appears to line up perfectly!

Someone here must have done this before - maybe many of our members have? How did I not know this until now? It even looks like the brake lines will be the correct length. Instant brake improvement!

That is just amazing!!! I'll do the swapp ASAP.
Thank you for the info!!!