GL1000 Needs new fork seals

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

verk182
Tin Member
Tin Member

GL1000 Needs new fork seals

Post by verk182 »

After my first ride on the new to me 76 GL1000 ltd I noticed the left fork seal was weeping pretty bad. Ordered in all my parts and now am prepping myself mentally to get it done. Has anyone replaced seals without removing the tubes from the triple tree? I saw a video of a guy doing it and I am thinking this would cut down on the time it would take. My main concern is time, raising three kids and working 50+ hours a week doesn't leave much time to get things done. I have seen the Randakks seal puller and plan on making one of those. Any input, pitfalls to avoid or general advice is welcome.
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: GL1000 Needs new fork seals

Post by low-side »

I really don't think it would save that much time. After you remove the wheel, fender, and calipers it's 2 bolts and a tug each to get the tubes out of the tree. To minimize down time, I bought a good set of tubes and rebuilt and polished those at my leisure so I was just swapping the tubes out when I had the bike apart. I sold my old tubes when I was done to recoup the money. Just my 2¢.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: GL1000 Needs new fork seals

Post by robin1731 »

I leave the tubes in all the time. Some bikes, like a GL1100 you have bushings to contend with. So you have to jerk on the lower like a slide hammer to remove it. Leaving the tube in the triple makes it much easier to do.

One thing, break the bolt loose at the bottom before you take the spring out.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder