Glad my horns work!

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Glad my horns work!

Post by chewy999 »

So today Karen and I went out on the bike for a ride around the countryside, as it was perfect conditions. I was following a camper van for a few miles when we approached a T junction, with me wanting to turn left. Stopped behind the camper van waiting my turn, when all of a sudden it's reversing lights came on and it started coming backwards towards me! It was a 'I can't believe what I'm seeing' moment. I pressed the horn button and thankfully he/she stopped. Looking back I was lucky in several ways.

Both my horns work,
The camper was a UK one, so not much longer than a large car,
The driver didn't have the radio blaring so I was heard.

I gave 'the stare' as I went past, thinking they obviously don't use the mirrors as I had followed them for a few miles yet they were oblivious to the fact that I was there.

Always things to learn, whether it's positioning, or making sure your bike components work as they should!

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Glad my horns work!

Post by low-side »

Agreed. I test my horns periodically just for situations like that.
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

This is why its nice to be able to split lanes in California, at stops I go straight to the front of the line. When I can't I always try to position myself to the left or right of the car in front of me so that I know they can see me in their mirrors.

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I have to wonder why the person was backing up in the middle of a stop
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

SMIDSY..... Sorry Mate I didn't see ya!
1978GL1000 naked - kinda sadly gone. no bike at the moment.

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." Albert A. Bartlett.
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by RB »

I always try to be where I can see the driver in his mirrors then I know he can see me...IF HE LOOKS!!!
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
OCR
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by OCR »

I make it a habit to always stop where my lights are in their side mirror at intersections, they sure notice that!
79 CX500custom
76LTD
77Goldwing
2001 Polaris Scrambler 500 4X4

Secretary Caroline Lodge 681
twowings
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by twowings »

I've been running a headlight modulator the last few years and they really grab people's attention. You see a lot of hard brake stands from intersection rollers who normally do a split second stop and go. Far fewer close calls with it operating than with it off. Since its on the high beam, it's my choice when to run it. I always run it in town and on busy roads but not if I'm on the little two laners.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Addicted to Honda's
MickUpi
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by MickUpi »

I have had a headlight modulator on my last 3 Goldwings. I am certain cagers are annoyed by my headlight modulator, more so when I am up close behind them at a traffic light, whereupon I turn it off. I also turn it off when riding in a group. If anyone who is driving can't see a group of bikes coming toward them we are all in deep trouble. Mine is wired to work with the high beams only, so I can dim my lights to kill it. Many people say they are afraid it will annoy cagers. I am sure some are annoyed at other times on the road too. If someone is at an intersection waiting for you to pass by why should you care if they are annoyed? It's way less than a minute out of their day. To me it's far more important for them to see me coming, so I leave it on most of the time. I only see them on 1 out of 300 to 500 motorcycles while riding or driving my truck. Common sense should tell us they are effective at making the cagers see us. I will never ride without one. Also I have been surprised for years why so few motorcycles have one. Some will say they don't work. Look down the road at oncoming traffic the next time you are out riding your bike or driving a car. There are always some cars that do not have their headlights on. Be honest with yourself and ask which ones do I see first? Keep in mind they are not blinking. A blinking headlight in my estimation may be up to 100 times more noticeable. Isn't being noticeable what we want while riding?
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Whenever the topic of horns comes up I remember a friend telling me about a time when he was on his wife's bike and a full sized van started moving into his lane so he tapped the horn, forgetting that hers had an air horn. He said he had never seen a vehicle that big move sideways that fast :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for headlight flashers, I don't think they are legal here because I don't remember ever seeing one.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
neilt
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by neilt »

Horns = necessary life preservers! Loud horns save lives. So do headlight modulators.
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

I also like horns and modulators. Mine is wired like Mickupi above. Easy to bypass. They are legal in Michigan only in daylight. No surprise there. I keep a copy of the law in my false tank.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Sidecar Bob wrote:Whenever the topic of horns comes up I remember a friend telling me about a time when he was on his wife's bike and a full sized van started moving into his lane so he tapped the horn, forgetting that hers had an air horn. He said he had never seen a vehicle that big move sideways that fast :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for headlight flashers, I don't think they are legal here because I don't remember ever seeing one.
I believe that I once read MODULATORS (not flashers) are legal throughout Canada. May have been on a modulator manufacture's site.
Last edited by pidjones on Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

At one time motorcycles and cars were not required to have their headlights on in daytime. In the '70s safety advocates told motorcyclists that car drivers would notice them more in traffic if they ran with the headlight on all the time and soon it became legally required. As soon as people realized that they noticed motorcycles more because they had their headlights safety advocates started telling car drivers to leave their headlights on all the time, leading to headlight/daytime running light laws and now a bike headlight blends into the crowd and we're back where we started.

If we all start using headlight modulators they will be standard equipment on cars within a decade and then they will blend in too. What's next. flashing lights on our helmets?
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Actually, modulators have been legal in the US since ~'85. I really don't care if you don't like them - I don't like the ugly yellow vests and jackets, but they help people be seen.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped