Starter or Engine Damage?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Starter or Engine Damage?

Post by Solina Dave »

I have a '78 GL1000, and I'm not too well versed in the operation of an over-running clutch. I do however have a question that I believe is related to that design feature.
I want to be able to flash my headlight at oncoming traffic, while the bike is in motion, and also when the bike is stopped. With the bike in motion the clutch is obviously engaged, and the clutch lever is "out". The clutch lever switch is "open". If I depress the starter switch, the starter shouldn't spin. But will the headlight still go out?
And also, if I were stopped at a stop sign for instance, and wished to flash my headlight at another vehicle across the intersection, would that work without problem? The engine is sill obviously running, but this time the clutch lever is "in", and the clutch lever switch is closed. Would the starter spin, and try to engage, and potentially cause damage? I don't know.
I also don't know if this is relevant or not. But with the bike in motion, rpm would be high. and at a stop, rpm would be comparatively low.
I accidentally depressed my starter button a while back, while the bike was in motion. I don't think that the starter tried to spin, but I couldn't hear all that well with engine, road, and wind noise. I've never tried it with the bike stopped.
Any help would be welcome. I remember my old car making a hell of a racket when I'd accidentally turn the key in the ignition with the engine already running. Sound familiar? :oops:

anim-cheers1 ..................Dave
"ASSUME NOTHING"

1st motorcycle-1977 Honda CB550F Super Sport
2nd motorcycle-1978 GL1000

"Not riding a motorcycle is wrong"
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Starter or Engine Damage?

Post by RB »

easier to install a switch in the headlight circuit
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

The starter has its own clutch. If you push the start button with the engine running. the starter will activate, but the running engine will over ride the starter clutch. No damage to anything. Also, as part of that circuit, the headlight will go out as long as the button is in
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Yes .... the starter button will flash your headlight ....

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

Thank you gentlemen. That's exactly what I needed to know. And thanks for the explanation about the running engine overriding the starter clutch Cyborg. That's kind of what I'd suspected, based on what I'd been reading about the starter clutch operation. But I wasn't sure. So thanks again.

:2thumbs.............Dave
"ASSUME NOTHING"

CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Solina Dave wrote:Thank you gentlemen. That's exactly what I needed to know. And thanks for the explanation about the running engine overriding the starter clutch Cyborg. That's kind of what I'd suspected, based on what I'd been reading about the starter clutch operation. But I wasn't sure. So thanks again.

:2thumbs.............Dave
Your welcome...…….. anytime anim-cheers1
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

That is actually what we tell people to do when their starter clutch is acting up. Hit the starter button while it is running. This is done in the hope it gets a little oil on the rollers to help lubricate them more and also to loosen them up.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

robin1731 wrote:That is actually what we tell people to do when their starter clutch is acting up. Hit the starter button while it is running. This is done in the hope it gets a little oil on the rollers to help lubricate them more and also to loosen them up.

That's good to know. Thanks Robin. I'll keep that in mind, possibly for some time in the future.

anim-cheers1 ........Dave
"ASSUME NOTHING"

Earl43P
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Earl43P »

RAT wrote:Yes .... the starter button will flash your headlight ....

Gord
I do that frequently on all three of my Hondas to warn and signal others. I try not to do it with the clutch held in making the starter run, but as said, it won't hurt it. I did it on my 82 also. Truckers appreciate it when you signal that they are clear to come over, and acknowledge back with their tail lights. I think it's a good practice. For that I use 2 longer off intervals with a short on in between. Seems to be how they signal each other clear to change lane so I mimic that, even in my pickup.

I use quick off blinks at a 4way stop sign intersection to confirm that I know it's their turn to go (along with an exaggerated planting of both feet). Even with the clutch in, the starter doesn't engage much if any if you don't fully depress the switch. Easier to get that knack at night, for the obvious reason that you can see the light go out. My 93 is especially easy to master because it has a lever with a lot more travel, not a button.

I can also be obnoxious with it, using high beams and rapid flashing usually wakes up a left lane camper to move over as I'm gaining on them. That isn't as effective up here in NoVA as it was in rural NC.
KTM390A “Hootinanny”
04 ST1300 DDDD (Double darksided daily driver) Sold 4/2022
93 GL1500I Double darksided and SOLD 3/29/20.
99 Valkyrie IS, Fast Black Double Darksided
"Fishtailed, flipped and flung me, but wearing it well". Sold!
82 GL1100 retired DD, needs work.... Sold 3/3/17
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Change your left hand switch to a UK/Euro one which has a flasher button in it.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I don’t recall reading this:

“That is actually what we tell people to do when their starter clutch is acting up. Hit the starter button while it is running. This is done in the hope it gets a little oil on the rollers to help lubricate them more and also to loosen them up.”

Good to know.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi