Cooling system questions

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

gary496
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Cooling system questions

Post by gary496 »

First I had small weep from the weep hole in the water pump. This was after the bike was stored for the winter. After riding a tank of gas out of the old girl the weeping stopped. I read somewhere on this site that it is sometimes normal for the pump to weep after storage. Is this true or do I have water pump problem?
Additionally after riding the overflow bottle will be on the low side(bottom line on the bottle). I always thought the proper way to fill the system was to fill to the top line on the bottle. Again I read on this site, the proper way to fill the system was to fill to the bottom line when the bike was cold. True? Also when I lose the small amount of coolant were does it go? Out of the over flow tube? I assume so...I really don't know that if I left the level in the bottle at the bottom line,that level would stay their as I always thought it should be at the top line on the bottle and I refilled it.
Any ideas/comments is appreciated.

gary
CB 160
BSA 350 Enduro Star
CB 450 (2)
CX 500
GL1100i
GL 1500

currently
1978 GL 1000
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Cooling system questions

Post by 5speed »

my 82 1100 weeped a bit of coolant sitting over the winter but I had a spare water pump and changed it this spring.
I would say as long as you keep an eye on it you will be okay. If it was me and it started weeping while riding, I would replace it.
If you fill the over flow bottle to the top line while it's cold, when the rad cap opens to let off pressure, the excess coolant is going to go out the over flow tube after it fills what's left of the bottle.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Mine leaks when sitting. After a run it is dry then after a couple days I get probably a drop a day. I don't worry about it.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Whiskerfish wrote:Mine leaks when sitting. After a run it is dry then after a couple days I get probably a drop a day. I don't worry about it.
Same here.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

If you're only gonna ride it to the Beer Exchange then don't worry about it. If you plan on going to Alaska then put a new water pump in.

Greg (my kid graduated from Western) Foresi
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
pjlogue
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by pjlogue »

You should check your coolant level after a good ride. The level should be at the top mark. If it isn't you may have air in your system and it could be from the tiny leak you saw from your weep hole. It may not leak fluid when warm but it can leak air into your system on cool down. It doesn't take much of an air leak. You should remove your recovery tank cap and the hose inside, then remove your radiator cap and make sure your radiator is full. Put the cap back on the radiator and then make sure your recovery tank fluid is at the bottom fill line. Take it for a ride and check when warmed up and again when cold. Fluid should be at the proper fill lines for each. It may take several cycles to show if you have a leak. If your levels change then you have an air leak somewhere in your system. Make sure all hoses and caps are in good order.

-P.
gary496
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by gary496 »

Ok P, I'm going riding today and I will check it out. Thanks for you input.

Greg, I'm just going to the Beer Exchange. ..lol

gary
CB 160
BSA 350 Enduro Star
CB 450 (2)
CX 500
GL1100i
GL 1500

currently
1978 GL 1000
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

what is this "beer exchange" you speak of?
do you exchange empty containers for full ones? :mrgreen:
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
gary496
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by gary496 »

Well I went for a ride and the coolant was at top mark when I left and it still is at the top mark. So I guess we don't have a problem, go figure!

5speed yes you can, growlers come and they go.

gary
CB 160
BSA 350 Enduro Star
CB 450 (2)
CX 500
GL1100i
GL 1500

currently
1978 GL 1000
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

The Beer Exchange is pretty cool. They have a big board like the NYSE. All the different beers they sell (a lot of different beers) are on the board. If they sell a few Budweisers, the price of Bud goes up. If nobody is buying Sam Adams, the price goes down. So if you look for deals there are always a couple beers at rock bottom price. The "Left Hand Bad JuJu" was OK. Probably never would have tried it, but it was a deal.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

In a normally functioning coolant recovery system the level of coolant in the recovery tank will rise when the engine approaches optimum operating temperature and lower when the engine cools after it is shut off (this can take an hour or more).

The rad cap has 2 pressure dependent (spring loaded) one way valves built into it. As the coolant warms up to the engine's optimum operating temperature it expands and the pressure increases. When the pressure in the rad exceeds the cap's rated pressure the pressure valve is forced open and coolant moves from the rad to the recovery tank, regulating the pressure in the rad at the optimum for efficient operation. When the engine is shut off and the coolant cools down the pressure in the cooling system decreases and the cap's recovery valve is forced open by the now greater pressure in the recovery tank so that coolant can be drawn from the tank back to the rad.

What this means is that the level should be close to the lower line when the engine is cold and close to the upper line when it is hot. If the level does not reduce when the engine cools it means that there is a leak somewhere that is allowing air to be drawn into the cooling system instead of coolant. If you are lucky it will be in the line that runs from the recovery tank to the rad neck but a slow leak in a head gasket can do that too.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
pjlogue
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by pjlogue »

What Sidecar Bob said. If the coolant level is at the high mark when warm it should go lower as the bike cools. If it doesn't it means either your hoses are collapsing or you have an air leak in your system. A failing seal at the water pump can let air in and cause this without leaking much fluid out the weep hole. Also, check around all joints in the cooling system for signs of a small leak. Check the underside of your oil cap and timing cover plug for signs of milky oil too. If you have the milky oil it may indicate a bad head gasket and coolant is getting into the oil.

-P.