Kenda tire review

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Steve81GL1100
Silver Member
Silver Member

Kenda tire review

Post by Steve81GL1100 »

I thought somebody might benefit from a review on the Kenda Challenger tire. With limited choices available in stock GL sizes, the Kenda looked like a good option in a reasonably-priced tire so I bought a pair before the 2017 riding season and spooned them onto my 81. I used DynaBeads for balancing, having used them on the previous Bridgestone Spitfires with good results.
As for the Kendas, I can say that they wear well. With over 3,000 miles on them, there is still plenty of tread life and the rear does not show any squaring across the tread at all. Also, dry traction is good although they have more of a tendency to track pavement lines and rain grooves more than the Bridgestones did. So far, so good.....
HOWEVER, I ride in the rain sometimes (bike is my daily commuter). On any kind of wet pavement, these tires are downright SCARY :shock: . I tend to be more cautious than probably is necessary on wet pavement (and am very meticulous about tire pressures), and even with my overly-light throttle use the rear tire will break loose without the slightest provocation. It will also try and walk out from under me going around corners at anything more than about a walking pace -- sideways on a Goldwing will definitely get your attention.... Yesterday, while riding home from work in light to moderate rain I could even feel the front squirming. This while riding 30 mph in a straight line on decent asphalt. As I said, SCARY.....
Now, if you only ever ride on dry pavement these tires seem pretty good. If you're like me and will ride in rain, probably will want to look elsewhere. YMMV...
Oh, another thing. This may be the Kendas specifically, or moto tires in general, but early this spring I discovered that at an ambient air temperature of 20 degrees the tires will not warm up sufficiently to provide grip (at least not on a 10-mile ride). Results same as wet pavement. Maybe somebody's way of telling me it's too cold to ride, but it's what I do... crossy.gif
Steve
PS this winter I'll be getting new tires -- probably Metzelers or Avons..... Something with good wet traction... anim-cheers1
Steve
1981 GL 1100 Standard, 81 Interstate bags, 84 GL1200 pegs, sometime National Cycle PlexiStar windshield
1996 BMW R1100R
2007 Piaggio X9 Evo500, wife's ride so she can keep up with the GL
1980 Vespa P200 (also wife's), restored, with custom paint, custom trim
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Kenda tire review

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Installed Michelin Commander II tires on my '85 LTD and have been extremely happy with them. Kept the pressure at 40/41 PSI front/rear. These tires are very good dry or wet. Have 29,000 Kms (18,000 miles) on them at this time and not at the wear bars. Expect another 1000 Kms and will be changing because the rear tire is developing a howl that I think is indicative of how they are starting to wear as these get to the last bit. I use Ride-On Tire Sealant and Balancing formula, prefer this over CounterAct Beads that I have also used.

Your '81 is some 75 or so pounds lighter than my bike so the Michelin should give good longevity and perform well.

Cheers
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

I just installed my second Shinko rear tire on Grumpy ('81 1100I). I too am a cautious rider in the wet, and am pleased with their performance overall. I have considered stepping up to Metzelers, as I did get only about 7k miles out of the rear (it was the 712). I do like the idea of 18k miles!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

I typically get 12 plus from a rear and push 20 on a front Metzeler. But I do not like to run tires down as thin as many do and typically change them out early. Wet traction is superb. Yes they are expensive.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

Whiskerfish wrote:I typically get 12 plus from a rear and push 20 on a front Metzeler. But I do not like to run tires down as thin as many do and typically change them out early. Wet traction is superb. Yes they are expensive.
thankfully WF is naming no names :oops: I still like Dunlops
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

In the early 2000s I ran Challengers on the rear of my winter sidecar outfit (GL500/Velorex700) for a couple of years. The first two hooked up very well in snow but the 3rd one I bought slid & spun all over the place. I initially thought it might be mould release but when it didn't start behaving after a couple of hundred Km I replaced it with something with a bit more open tread (which eventually led to the K270 becoming my snow tire of choice). I used up the Challenger on the GoldWing with no issues but it doesn't go out when it is below freezing.....
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
digschopper
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by digschopper »

My '60 triumph hardtail 500 and '68 BSA had challengers. They wear like iron,but I almost dropped the Beezer leaving a stop light after a rain.