timing light use

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

pjlogue
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

timing light use

Post by pjlogue »

Has anyone had the problem of the glare from the flywheel and the sight glass causing so much glare you can't see the timing marks? I am trying to set the timing on my GL1000 and between the bad angle of sight and the bright strobe and glare I can set the timing. I am wondering if using a polarized filter over the light would help. The bike has the magnetic pick up instead of points so doing a static setting is out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-P.
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: timing light use

Post by tlbranth »

Honda was in league with Satan when they designed some of this stuff. I agree, it's dang near impossible to time the thing with a light. One thing I did which makes it almost doable is put paint in the timing marks. To do this I exposed the mark I wanted to paint, cleaned it thoroughly with lacquer thinner on q-tips then used some craft paint. One thing I wish I'd done is use a different colour for each coil. Red shows up fairly well and I think yellow does too.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Suggestions?
I purchased one of Randakk's proprietary timing wheels about 2 months ago, and intended to utilize it to check the dynamic timing of my '75 GL1000 trike's Dyna S. Then, before utilizing the timing wheel to check the Dyna S timing, I broke my leg 5 weeks ago and won'T be employing the device anytime soon.

Perhaps, Randakk's timing wheel would be a more sanitary alternative for you to consider?

anyway. ....
It mounts onto the front of one of the timing belt pulleys, and no oil spray and crossed eyes are suffered in the dynamic timing procedure. ;)
Last edited by gltriker on Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

the factory sold a screw in ,clear plastic, with cross hairs right down on the flywheel that stops the oil problem and makes it easier to see the ,marks. But I have not used it sense I went with the C5. (no need)
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
pjlogue
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by pjlogue »

tlbranth wrote:Honda was in league with Satan when they designed some of this stuff. I agree, it's dang near impossible to time the thing with a light. One thing I did which makes it almost doable is put paint in the timing marks. To do this I exposed the mark I wanted to paint, cleaned it thoroughly with lacquer thinner on q-tips then used some craft paint. One thing I wish I'd done is use a different colour for each coil. Red shows up fairly well and I think yellow does too.
This bike had what I thought was rust on the timing marks on the fly wheel. I cleaned it off thinking it would make seeing the timing marks easier. Hmmm, guess I was wrong and it was on there for a reason. LOL. I am going to try a polaroid lens and if that doesn't work I'll repaint the timing marks. I thought about putting marks on the timing belt pulleys but taking the pulley covers off is a pain with dealing with the radiator.

Yes, the engineer that designed this ought to be stripped neeked, tied to a tree in the Adirondack Mountains during Black Fly season and left to think about what they did! LOL.

-P.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

I have done the timing 3 different ways. Even with a Mag pickup the static method should get you inside a couple of degrees and be adequate for most all of us. Timing off the crank I do with a piece of 1 inch PVC pipe about 5 inches long. I ground one end to a taper and it fits nicely inside the threads of the crank cap bolt. Oil splashes up on the inside of the pvc and runs right back into the engine. Works well. When I feel like being precise I get out the Randakk wheels.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!