Turn Signals Over-Heating

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

codyjames707
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Turn Signals Over-Heating

Post by codyjames707 »

Hey everyone! I am looking for some help...

I put in a new wiring harness this past weekend. Everything seemed to be working fine, even some lights that stopped working were now alive! BUUUUUUT I go to plug in my front turn signals and BOOM the wires heat up so much that it burnt the plug right OFF. None of the fuses are busted... Anyone have any idea why they are getting so much electricity??

Thanks!

1977 Gl1000 DARKGREEN-WING
BOTM April, 2018
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=59710
Doug Hasert
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: Turn Signals Over-Heating

Post by Doug Hasert »

Wires reversed would cause a short. recheck your wiring and make sure they are correct.
'82 Goldwing/Watsonian Monaco sidecar
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Either that or your connector contacts are corroded and creating a huge voltage drop across them.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

codyjames707 wrote:Hey everyone! I am looking for some help...

I put in a new wiring harness this past weekend. Everything seemed to be working fine, even some lights that stopped working were now alive! BUUUUUUT I go to plug in my front turn signals and BOOM the wires heat up so much that it burnt the plug right OFF. None of the fuses are busted... Anyone have any idea why they are getting so much electricity??

Thanks!

Is this a "new" harness or just new to you?

If just new to you, did you clean all the connections before you installed it?
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Although I can't think of a difference between years that could cause that, is the new harness for the same year as your bike?

Also, is there any chance that the wires in your signals may have become dislodged or damaged?
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

The signals internally should be checked for damaged wiring too. If it was a used harness it is worth cleaning every contact before using, as it will benefit the electrical system. The voltage drop through corroded connectors is substantial and cleaning helps stop that loss.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
pjlogue
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by pjlogue »

If your wiring harness is new (brand new, not just used but new to you) you might check the exposed wire at the crimp point of your turn signal. The bullet connector can be clean and shiny but the crimp part can be oxidized. If this is the case you need to cut the wire back far enough to expose fresh, clean wire and put another crimp connector on. You may have to cut quite a bit of wire off to get to shiny bright wire again as the heat from the poor connection will cause the wire to oxidize a ways back from the crimp. If you use Emery to try and clean the wire you need to splay the ends so you clean each strand in the bundle or you will not get the full load capacity of the wire and you will get another "hot spot" Soldering will only work if the strands are clean (all of them)

-P.