Worn Points?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

OldRider2
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Worn Points?

Post by OldRider2 »

My ’77 Project bike is running pretty good, starts right up, a little cold blooded until it warms up, then seems to run fine. On speeds say running about 50 or so and going up a good sized hill you really can’t maintain the speed unless you down shift. I thought it would have a little more power. The carbs are synced nicely, checked again after it had a few miles on it. I had a GL1100 and what I remember about it it had more power.

I got to thinking that I don’t remember doing anything to adjust the points and the fact it starts right up I figured they were ok. I’m hesitant to mess with them but…...... I put a lot of points in cars in the late 60s and early 70s but I don’t ever remember any wearing like these. It’s as if there were a harder surface around the outside of the points and the opposite point seemed to wear down into the point it contacts. Is that wear common with the GLs? Other than the outside edge they seem to be worn evernly, just slightly blackened. Here are some pics of the points.
Attachments
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (1).jpg (165.64 KiB) Viewed 622 times
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (61.67 KiB) Viewed 622 times
2001 GL1800 Illusion Red
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Worn Points?

Post by low-side »

Definitely needs a set of points. That type of wear is from arcing. Hard to tell without knowing the maintenance history, but that may be due to bad condensers. I'd replace both points and condensers to be safe, and then keep an eye on it.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

A pretty good read here: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=51780&p=555055#p555055

For the price of quality points nowadays, it doesn’t take many to pay for electronic Dyna etc.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
OldRider2
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by OldRider2 »

Thanks Lowside and Eric, I'll order points & condenser looking for OEM if possible. Reading the article from Mike Nixon it sounds like it might be challenging doing the setting, adjusting, and timing it.

Low-side, you mentioned replacing the "condensers". I thought there was only one and it was on the side of the battery case. When I looked at the points I figured they should be replaced but thought I'd better ask.
2001 GL1800 Illusion Red
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by low-side »

Each point set uses a capacitor to minimize arcing. On GL1000s these are packaged together. Eric is right - by the time you buy quality points and condensers you will probably spend $50 or more and I've heard of Dyna S kits selling new for $140. The Dyna kits are easier to install than points are; you won't need to set the gap or play with really small screws and insulators if you go with the Dyna kit.
OldRider2
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by OldRider2 »

Thanks Low-side, understand Dyna S is a better long time deal but I don't plan on running my bike for a long time. It sounded like from the article that the original Honda system was an adequate system, it just has to be maintained correctly. Reading the article it sounded like the dynamic timing is quite important as well.
2001 GL1800 Illusion Red
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Like the others have said, the problem looks like it started with the condensors. Many people will replace the points but not condensors. That could have happened before you got the bike. New points and condensors and you'll probably be good to go.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
OldRider2
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by OldRider2 »

Interesting price. I just found the complete point plate that Whiskerfish talks about. Certainly very pricey.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-New-GL10 ... 1196136863
2001 GL1800 Illusion Red
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

I don't trust after market electronic ignitions. The simpler the better as far as I'm concerned. I use points with a Hondaman electronic ignition however. This box simply takes the load off the points so they don't wear. Once the phenolic burnishes you never have to mess with your points again. Timing will stay spot on. If there's ever a problem on the road and you suspect Hondaman's box, you can bypass it in minutes and get back to standard ignition. I have his unit on my '75 GL1000 and my '70 CB750. You can read about it here:
http://astore.amazon.com/sohc4owners05-20 although at this writing the website is unavailable on account of maintenance.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

A condenser won't function correctly until it has an extremely low resistance ground connection where it's body is mounted onto the battery frame.
At one time, Randakk had a technical tip about that component in the ignition system, and offered a dedicated ground wire assembly.
It's no longer available from Randakk, but you can easily manufacture one yourself tumb2 .
Last edited by gltriker on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
OldRider2
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by OldRider2 »

Good point Cliff, that should be an easy fix. I'll probably be challenged to set the points and time it though! :shock: I wish I had picked up a timing glass in all of my scrounging.
2001 GL1800 Illusion Red