New way of changing the belts?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

New way of changing the belts?

Post by chewy999 »

Not sure if anyone has tried this, or if it's possible as the GL belts aren't very wide, but I was watching a programme today (Car SOS) and the guy changed a belt on a car by cutting it down the middle of the belt. He then removed the outer half leaving the inner half on the gears. He positioned the new belt on the gears, carefully cut the rest of the old belt off before pushing the new belt all the way on. This allowed the new belt to be fitted without lining up timing marks etc. Being TV, it looked very easy and of course it worked perfectly afterwards.

Not sure if I'd be willing to take the chance of doing it this way, but was interesting to watch.

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: New way of changing the belts?

Post by robin1731 »

One belt right? How are you going to do the inner belt? :roll: shakehands lolol

I really thought you were going to show the video of the guy changing the belt on an old VW bug with the engine running. :shock:

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

robin1731 wrote:One belt right? How are you going to do the inner belt? :roll: shakehands lolo

It's late and I'm tired but I've been thinking about that and sure there's a way of doing it. Will have to experiment (not on my bike though)

anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

Right, it can be done in theory, but it's debatable whether there is enough room on the crankshaft gear for the inner belt.

Get ready for a Chewy (clear as mud) explanation.

1. Cut through both belts lengthways, remove the 'outer' half on both belts. The inner belt 'outer' half will need to be cut to remove it from the bike.

2. With regards to the new belts, thread the new outer belt through the new inner belt at right angles.

3. Position new outer belt on the gears and tensioner, cut the other half of the old outer belt away from the bike, and push the new outer belt all the way on.

4. Rotate the inner belt over the crankshaft gear.

5. Now, and this may be the problem to the theory, you MAY be able position the new inner belt over the gears and tensioner before the old inner belt can be cut away.

6. Told you, clear as mud! :IDTS:

As I said, this is just a theory, so don't blame me if someone tries it and it goes horribly wrong.

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
Current bikes
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

I actually have a question about the timing belts;

Is there a way to lock the pulleys in place so that they don't move? And then it just becomes an issue of removing the belts and putting them back on without having to use the timing marks.

Is that possible?
-x01660

"The best motorcycle is the one well ridden" anim-cheers1

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Not sure what all the concern is about timing marks. It really isn't that difficult to line everything up on a GL. The first time can be frustrating getting familiar with the spring pressure, etc, but you just keep at it until everything lines up. In fact, dinking with it for a while is EXACTLY what you should do while you're at it. Makes the next go-round simple.

All marks are completely unambiguous and easily verified. There's no excuse for firing one up with belts off a tooth or worse.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

I agree with desertrefugee, It not that tough of a task to line up a couple of marks.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I agree. If the old belts are on properly. and both "up" marks are up, Just take offthe old ones, and put on the new ones. Ten minutes after the covers are off
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

CYBORG wrote:I agree. If the old belts are on properly. and both "up" marks are up, Just take offthe old ones, and put on the new ones. Ten minutes after the covers are off

I am good with all this, except.........the 10 min part.

I will take the old ones off, spend a bit thinking of should I keep them, then take the pulleys off, spin them in my hand for a while, thinking of do they need new bearings or not... then I see a speck of something or other that I investigate for an hour to see where it came from. Wife comes into shop, ask me to run to the store... stop when I get back, notice the grass needs cut..... and so on.

How do you do it all in ten mins?????
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Oldewing wrote:
CYBORG wrote:I agree. If the old belts are on properly. and both "up" marks are up, Just take offthe old ones, and put on the new ones. Ten minutes after the covers are off

I will take the old ones off, spend a bit thinking of should I keep them, then take the pulleys off, spin them in my hand for a while, thinking of do they need new bearings or not... then I see a speck of something or other that I investigate for an hour to see where it came from. Wife comes into shop, ask me to run to the store... stop when I get back, notice the grass needs cut..... and so on.

Well,.... there is all that. So I just close the door and turn the stereo up
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Oldewing wrote:

Squirrel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lolol lolol shakehands lolol
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
bigscheaf
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by bigscheaf »

Oldewing wrote:

And this, folks, is exactly how it went for me, except we need to include the screaming toddler and an on call phone that wouldn't quit ringing on a "slow" day.

Might need to throw in a warning about the Accord timing mark on the 83s in the how to, because after a lot of squirrel moments, I picked the wrong one. :cry: :oops:
1983 GL1100 viewtopic.php?f=16&t=67673#
1981 CB900F (Resto-mod Project)
1979 CB750F (Wiseco 823)
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

And, yes, you can 'lock' the cam pulleys, either with a wrench on the pulley bolt, then zip tied to the frame, or by using a proper sized socket fitting into the pulley 'spokes' and clamping it in place with a c- clamp. Both methods are pictured somewhere here on the forums... Oh, and you would have to get the new belt inside the wrench or clamp before clamping or removing (cutting) the old belt.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

It seems to me that cutting the belts would take longer and be more work than just doing it the way the book says.

And as for getting them changed in 10 minutes, it sounds like we all have bad cases of AAADD
...says the guy that still doesn't have his "new" engine installed :roll:
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Sidecar Bob wrote:It seems to me that cutting the belts would take longer and be more work than just doing it the way the book says.

And as for getting them changed in 10 minutes, it sounds like we all have bad cases of AAADD
...says the guy that still doesn't have his "new" engine installed :roll:
WellI never actually timed it. But when the clock starts with the covers off,... 1. bring pully marks to the top. 2. loosen the tensioners. 3. remove the old belts . 4. install new inner belt 5. install outer belt,(remembering to rotate cam pully to top mark when you install it. 6. tighten up tensions. All with no distractions If you feel a need, rotate then engine to verify correct install. One of the easiest jobs on a goldwing
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200