Single solex conversion and oil leaks

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Single solex conversion and oil leaks

Post by leggman »

ericheath wrote:Compression test with WOT? If not you’re probably fine.
The throttle was closed when I did the compression check. I might try it again tomorrow
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

95 is about what mine are if I forget to open the throttle.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

I cleaned the solex again and adjusted the butterfly valve and it did somewhat better but I am still not convinced that the solex is the right way to go. A lot will determine on how it acts when I put the stock carbs back on.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

If you don't mind a little experimentation, readjust your engine's cold, intake and exhaust valves' clearance gap at 0.006inch.

My '75 has stock '76 carburetors, and that valve clearance gap increase of only 0.002 inch was recommended by an extremely knowledgeable technician (Mike Nixon) and that, alone, made some remarkable changes in the overall mannerisms of my trike's GL1000 engine.

a tiny example of Mike Nixon's wisdom:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=63468
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

I don't know what I am going to do now. I just looked at the numbers on the "stock" carbs that came with the 79 and the left carbs have the 769A number and the right carbs have the 771A numbers.
This really sucks as It stand right now I have a 79 GL and a 75GL and no good carbs for either one of them.
When I bought the 75 last year the carbs (two sets) were all tore apart and in a box. Upon inspection the float pin towers are all busted and a lot of parts are missing.
I hope tomorrow is a better day
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

A lot of folks have had great success with the Solex. Keep after it. There are other resources to draw from if you really get stuck.

Also, your modified pump housing looks a lot like mine! (Cyborg's idea). The 1200 pump on mine has worked flawlessly.
IMG_5364.JPG
IMG_5364.JPG (80.47 KiB) Viewed 302 times
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

desertrefugee wrote:A lot of folks have had great success with the Solex. Keep after it. There are other resources to draw from if you really get stuck.
Pop over to classicgoldwings.com. They have a ton of info on single carb conversions.

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

That's exactly what I was thinking, but didn't know if an explicit reference was appropriate.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

We are not petty that way. If someone else has info that will help I do not mind it being shared.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

Normally, I wouldn't recommend any other site at all for anything but reference. But there is just too much good single carb information over there to not suggest it. Those guys are fanatical.

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

I put some permatex grey rtv around where the metal pipes on my manifold go into the rubber for the elbos and it helped somewhat. I think my biggest problem is the adjustments on the carb and my timing. I need to try a new set of points and I think that will be a big help.
The bike starts right up when the choke is on but when it warms up and it tries to idle it just dies?
How important is a air filter on a solex. Right now it has none and I wonder if that might be a part of my problem?
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

Had it running today after putting in a new fan switch and now at least that works. The bike really runs like crap. I completely went through the solex with a new rebuild kit but for some reason it just wont go anywhere near idle. Anything below 2500 rpm and it just dies. I am really beginning to wonder if it might be my ignition system. I think I will get a new set of points and try that and if that doesn't do it I might put a dyna kit in.
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

I plumbed the electric fuel pump today and was very pleased when it took fuel and got a LOT quieter. You could just about hear it next door when it was dry.
About all I have left is mounting the exhaust and getting the solex problems sorted out. It starts up and runs great while the choke is on but once the idle cam relaxes it just wants to die.
I will know a lot more when I get my dyna kit installed next week and get the ignition demons put to rest.
Any advice on the jetting for the 34 pict3 would be greatly appreciated. The bike is a 79 GL1000.
Thanks Dave
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

I got a lot closer to idle with the solex. I installed the dyna ignition I ordered and that helped a lot. Then I checked the intake manifolds and found the right side was loose. After tightening it did better but still not there yet.
How should the butterfly valve be adjusted? When I get close to idle it just wants to die. 34 pict 3.
Thanks. Dave
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

1) Your modified fuel pump mount looks good. When I experimented with a vacuum operated pump I made a bracket out of aluminum angle to mount the vacuum pump where the mechanical one was and block off the opening.
BTW: The vacuum pump was not capable of drawing fuel very high so I ran out of fuel with almost half a tank left so I went back to the mechanical pump.

2) The original fuel pump can be rebuilt. Peteybug provided the method
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12530
and I found a diaphragm that is easily modified to fit and only costs $6 US
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12530&start=60#p269684
This is a permanent repair - 8 years later I am moving the rebuilt pump to the "new" engine I am preparing to install in my bike.

3) The piston rings have to have gaps when cold so that they have room to expand so some of the pressure from the cylinder will leak past them and there will always be some pressure in the crankcase. If the breather system becomes blocked the pressure will escape through the weakest oil seal, usually the one where the tach cable attaches.
I found this out the hard way many years ago when my '77/Dnepr winter sidecar outfit's breather iced up, the pressure escaped and the oil it pushed out sprayed all over my right leg & boot. I consulted a friendly Honda mechanic and he told me to cut a couple of inches off of the end of the hose (the '77 did not have the catch can that yours has) so it didn't drag in deep snow and it never happened again.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....