I Think I Just Killed it For Good...

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Rlind177
Brass Member
Brass Member

I Think I Just Killed it For Good...

Post by Rlind177 »

So I went to the auto wrecker today, found a 2000 dodge neon to steal a coil from. I install it on my GL1100, and it runs just fine, no better or worse. Im messing around with it in neutral, trying to see if I can find any place where it seems happy. I find it idles around 3000 RPMs with no backfiring. I decided to take it for a ride, to see if it make any difference. It has NO power below 3000 RPMs. It will pull from about 3000 - 4500, but it seems to want to stop at 4500. So I was in second gear, seeing if it would slowly build above 4500 RPMs or if that is a "hard limit" for this engine. I hear a loud bang, and it dies, milky oil pouring all over the place. I was trying to find where its coming from, but not positive. I pus it home. I wanted to see how low on coolant is was, so I start pouring the remaining distilled water I have in the radiator cap, and I start to hear it falling on the ground as fast as I'm pouring. I look right behind the thermostat, and there is a HUGE chunk of metal missing. I'm not sure where to go form here. Not sure if its worth salvaging, or should I just cut my losses and look for a different bike?

Its hard to get a good picture of it, but If it failed here, I can't imagine what other damage has been done. Image
Last edited by Rlind177 on Mon May 14, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: I Think I Just Killed it For Good...

Post by desertrefugee »

Sounds bad. Picture doesn't show up - and I'm not sure I want to see it. Sorry for your trouble. If it's any consolation, replacement motors are cheap and plentiful. Actually, so are other GLs...
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

No pic for me, either. Is the 'chunk' missing from the block, or the water pipe behind the thermostat? I'd do a little more digging before throwing in the towel, but as suggested, it might be time to shop...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Rlind177
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Rlind177 »

Track T 2411 wrote:No pic for me, either. Is the 'chunk' missing from the block, or the water pipe behind the thermostat? I'd do a little more digging before throwing in the towel, but as suggested, it might be time to shop...
Not from the block, it’s from the water pipe behind the thermostat. Looks like I can get one on eBay. But im just afraid of what would cause this? What can of worms am I about to open. I have under $1000 into the bike, I imagine I can sell it as a parts bike for a minimal loss.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

I'm thinking you've got a blown head gasket that's building up excessive pressure in the cooling system, as well as allowing oil to mix with the antifreeze. Oil can also enter the cooling system through the water pump, especially if the weep hole on the bottom of the transmission cover is plugged (the weep hole acts kind of like an early warning sign for water pump problems). Excessive pressure could also build up if the thermostat isn't opening properly.

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

BTW, I can see the pic now...

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Rlind177
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Rlind177 »

Track T 2411 wrote:I'm thinking you've got a blown head gasket that's building up excessive pressure in the cooling system, as well as allowing oil to mix with the antifreeze. Oil can also enter the cooling system through the water pump, especially if the weep hole on the bottom of the transmission cover is plugged (the weep hole acts kind of like an early warning sign for water pump problems). Excessive pressure could also build up if the thermostat isn't opening properly.
Yeah, pretty confident at least one of the head gaskets is blown. I checked the water pump. It’s been replaced, and he thermostat was missing. So I think cooling was an issue for one of the POs. I installed a new thermostat (spring towards the engine). It had low compression in one of the cylinders, so that may be another indication but if it’s an entire overhaul of the heads, probably not worth it. Head gaskets seem like they shouldn’t be too big of a job though.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Head gaskets are fairly easy. Most people recommend OEM gaskets, as some aftermarket brands have proven to be unreliable.

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Bummer! You should add your location to your profile so anyone nearby could offer assistance. I have an 83 1100 with a bad stator that’s doing me no good. I’ve had pretty good luck buying used 1200’s for less than $200. It’s a roll of the dice.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Rlind177
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Rlind177 »

Track T 2411 wrote:Head gaskets are fairly easy. Most people recommend OEM gaskets, as some aftermarket brands have proven to be unreliable.
Has anyone seen a list of things I might as well replace if I’m taking the heads off?
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Head gaskets, water pipe O-rings, oil restrictor plug O-rings, exhaust gaskets. Maybe cam seals while your in there.

Refurbish the heads too. Lap the valves and install new valve guide seals.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Rlind177
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Rlind177 »

Got the heads pulled off today. The oil definitely has coolant in it, but the coolant drained clean. That seems interesting to me. The idea that the oil pressurized the cooling system, and cause it to blow made sense to me. But that would mean oil in the coolant, right? The heads have a TON of carbon built up on them. Going to clean that off, and see if I can find a machine shop to resurface the heads for me. I can do it myself if I must, but I’d rather pay someone to do it the correct way. I haven’t got that piece that exploded off, carb has to come off for that. Hopefully I’ll get to it tomorrow, and post a pic here.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

If they go to the shop may as well have them do a valve job. But tell do not grind the valves. Just cut the seats. Then they can check the valve stems and valve guides for wear. They should be able to bead blast the heads and clean them up too. I rebuild these heads all the time. It's not hard.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Rlind177
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Rlind177 »

So far, I have only pulled the head off the 2/4 cylinders. Cylinder 2 had the low pressure, so Im hoping that only the left side has a blown gasket. Im not positive, what a blown head gasket looks like, but this gasket appears to be in decent shape. It's possible that its not the original. Tons of carbon build up in the head and the cylinder. Found a shop that will do a valve job for $125, two week turn around time. In the mean time I may send the carbs in to be rebuilt as well. What are you favorite ways to remove carbon from the cylinder? I've got some 0000 steel wool, is that too much for removing the gasket material from the block? or too harsh to use inside the cylinder?
scootsx2
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by scootsx2 »

What's up with what looks like blue RTV on the right side of the first photo?

Any hairline cracks in the cylinders or heads?
1975 GL1000 Sidecar Outfit
1982 CX500-based Trident ex-Police Trike
2001 GL1800 MotorTrike
2006 Vespa LX150
1956 Francis-Barnett Falcon 74
195x Solex 1700
196x Solex 2200

St. Louis, MO

The dude abides.

Brothers of the Third Wheel - Gateway Chapter http://www.btw-trikers.org
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club http://www.vjmc.org
Francis-Barnett Owners Club http://www.francis-barnett.co.uk/