Wing rewire

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Exupdog
Brass Member
Brass Member

Wing rewire

Post by Exupdog »

Hi, After a few initial posts I've not posted for a while but I need to pick some brains again if I may. My 1976 GL1000, imported from the USA to the U.K., had some horrendous mouse damage to the wiring when I bought it. I've done some repair work to the existing harness to enable me to restore some power and get a spark at the plugs, now sparking nicely, but I'm not happy with a tatty harness and I'm considering making a new one. However, my question to the learned people on this site is, has anyone used a motogadget m unit? I'm considering utilising one to streamline the wiring in the loom but I thought I would ask if anyone had done it already and if there are any inherent problems. I know that the wing has a 7V portion of the wiring but I'm sure that it would be possible to use a voltage reducer fed from the m unit auxiliary feed and resupply the gauges from there. I want to keep the original switchgear and just tidy the rest up. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. If it comes to the worst I'll just replicate the existing harness, without the mouse damage of course.
Thank you
Ian
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: Wing rewire

Post by Liam »

Have you considered just fitting a used harness? They are not difficult to get and not expensive.
I would prefer to keep it standard but that is just my opinion. Fitting an aftermarket harness would devalue the machine
if you ever had to sell.
Last edited by Liam on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

Here is one at DK Motorcycles in Stoke.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-GL1000 ... Sw1cNaBD8o

It has the 7volt regulator and the diodes these alone if working are worth the asking price. Repairing these looms is not difficult, and you have your old one to use for repairs.
All the connecters that are used are easily available.
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

If looking for a harness make sure you get the early pre 1978 harness and make sure it is the american loom,
as your bike came from there and has differences to the UK or European bikes.
Exupdog
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Exupdog »

Hi thank you for the suggestion. I did look at harnesses from D&K, I bought the bike from them, the thing that put me off a little was that they always advertise harnesses for parts only. I understand that there may be some deterioration in the connectors, that doesn't worry me, I have replaced some of the existing terminals in my current harness. I would just not like to acquire something similar to what I have. Maybe it's worth a phone call to ask what the condition is before committing to something via a well known auction site.
Thanks again for your help
Jrockwell
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Jrockwell »

I went with the Motogadget M unit on my 81 rebuild because I was looking for the functionality and not the OEM appeal. Love my M unit. Wiring wasn't that difficult at all.
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

There are a couple of us with M-Units...nice piece of wizardry with these!
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550