1990 1500 fuel problem

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

shakyone
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

1990 1500 fuel problem

Post by shakyone »

When cold, my 1500 runs fine. As it warms up I need to continually add choke to keep it running until it becomes almost impossible to keep running. I have checked the fuel pump and it is pumping fuel, although I don't know the pressure. There is vacuum to the fuel valve. The filter is passing fuel. Any ideas about what could be causing this problem as it warms up would be appreciated.

Paul
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: 1990 1500 fuel problem

Post by desertrefugee »

Welcome. If you're sure it's a fueling problem, the entire fuel supply has a specified flow rate. The only way to confirm it is to pull the line to the carbs and measure the output (volume over time). I don't know the 1500 Goldwing spec, but it's "in the book". (Service Manual)
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

I do not know much about the 1500 but it seems many carb type issues are related to the Vacuum lines. Me I would go invest in a bunch of line and very methodically replace every one before chasing your tail too much.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
hoganJr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hoganJr »

That's a strange problem. Some details may help. How long have you owned this motorcycle? Did this occur gradually or suddenly? Do you have any service records?
It's not actually a "choke", but an "enricher". What happens if you gradually restrict the air intake?
WF is probably on to something...unless someone else has gone through it you almost certainly have some vacuum hose issues.

HoganJr
1991 GL1500
WingMan71
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by WingMan71 »

shakyone wrote:When cold, my 1500 runs fine. As it warms up I need to continually add choke to keep it running until it becomes almost impossible to keep running...
Paul
You didn't say if this symptom is at idle only or if you also have to keep the choke on when riding at higher speeds/RPMs. That would make a difference regarding troubleshooting the issue.

Note that your GL1500's carburetors have enricher or "starter" valves that add more fuel when the choke is pulled on, not choke plates that cut off air to enrich the mixture when the choke is pulled on.

If you're talking about having to have the choke on to keep the engine running at IDLE after the engine is up to operating temperatures, then it's most likely that your idle jets, also called "pilot" jets, are plugged. This is very common since the pilot jets have the smallest bleed holes of any part in the carb. If untreated fuel sits in them too long (even just a month) they can get plugged and your engine will never idle properly.

If you're talking about having to add choke to a warmed up engine when riding it at speed, then it could be a few other things that cause fuel starvation. You could still have partially plugged pilot jets, since that system still flows fuel when running off idle. Also, you could have partially plugged main jets that won't flow fuel properly with throttle rolled on. If the main jets are not plugged, main system fuel starvation could still be happening at speed if your CV carb's vacuum diaphragms are cracked and not holding vacuum. It's the vacuum applied to the CV carb vacuum chamber that pulls the main jet needle up out of the main jet allowing proportionally more fuel to flow at speed.

Also, as previously mentioned, there are a ton of rubber vacuum hoses and coolant hoses attached to GL1500 carbs. If any of those are leaking, the fuel system that they are a part of will not function properly and result in a poorly running engine. Amazingly, most of these hoses are still available from Honda. Here's a microfiche parts list for it:

https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oempart ... 9/tubing-1

Long story short, you are at least due an inspection of all of those carb vacuum hoses and most likely a carb disassembly and rebuild.

If you actually get down into the guts of your GL1500 far enough to get at the carb vacuum hoses, there is no excuse for not pulling the carbs at that point and rebuilding them. You'll be glad you did.

Get your carb rebuild kit from Randakk's Cycle Shakk. They are the best quality kits. Here:

https://www.randakks.com/randakks-own-g ... l-kit.html

Good luck with it.

1983 GL650 Silver Wing Interstate
2006 Gold Wing GL1800 CSC Trike
1982 CB750 Custom
1976 Gold Wing GL1000 LTD - SOLD :(
1987 Gold Wing GL1200A Aspencade - SOLD :(
U.S. Navy SWO 1967-1976