Mufflers

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

CYBORG

Re: Mufflers

Post by CYBORG »

Wangthang wrote:I was just trying to be funny, Freedom. Of all the motorcycle forums I have been in, I must say the people here are the most helpful, and nicest. Any muffler can be made to fit, but they should at least hold the same back pressure. Wonder why the Fuel injected Harleys are different?
One theory is the different lengths of the head pipes. Could be,...but I never really thought about it .I made it work with a small restrictor on one pipe
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

CYBORG wrote:also the back pressure is different on the two mufflers
Whatchu talkin' about, Willis? I have not heard this! Why would that be? They service two identical cylinders originally.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

This is true.
but on the Harley, the pipes coming out of heads are different length, and the heads run at different temps. Its really a tuning issue. They will work on a Wing just the way they are. The pulse of the two cylinders on each pipe is off set by the crossover, . Even without a crossover they work well enough on a wing. On my 1200 I run a stock muffler, with a sportster take off on each side. Brings the tips out beyond the saddle bags. I removed the tips on the GW mufflers, and installed the sportster pipes. Nice and quiet, and the bike still has great power
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I'll be danged. Well, as you say, there's no noticeable effect on how the wing runs with them. Mine sure seems happy.

Thanks for the info! I sure missed that memo - but it sounds like Harley to do that.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
freedom
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by freedom »

Wangthang wrote:I was just trying to be funny, Freedom. Of all the motorcycle forums I have been in, I must say the people here are the most helpful, and nicest. Any muffler can be made to fit, but they should at least hold the same back pressure. Wonder why the Fuel injected Harleys are different?
dont worry about it, my post was not directed at you.
freedom
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by freedom »

ericheath wrote:Older Sportster mufflers seem to bolt up easily, but some have different length mufflers, one is shorter than the other. Not noticeable to most, but they are different.

With an Aspy and bags, you will probably want the longer ones, just without the Cats.
I got the bags off. I am worried about the center stand though.
freedom
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by freedom »

SnoBrdr wrote:
Track T 2411 wrote:Adapting any muffler type to the existing header will require some welding and/or fabrication. There is a good thread in ShopTalk that gives some details to get you started. 'Better/ easier' is totally subjective, depending on your wants, skills, and tools available. I don't mean to be rude, but we can't build your bike for you...
I used Sportster mufflers and all I need was a adapter to go from the headers to the mufflers.

No welding needed.

I also used a chrome sleeve I got at Auto Zone and made a metal bracket that attached to the sleeve and the rear foot pegs.

Was pretty simple and as I got the mufflers free, the other parts cost like $30 total.
Thats interesting. Do you mind if I PM you for more information?
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

deleted by moi...for the good of all ;)
Last edited by gltriker on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

freedom wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:
Track T 2411 wrote:Adapting any muffler type to the existing header will require some welding and/or fabrication. There is a good thread in ShopTalk that gives some details to get you started. 'Better/ easier' is totally subjective, depending on your wants, skills, and tools available. I don't mean to be rude, but we can't build your bike for you...
I used Sportster mufflers and all I need was a adapter to go from the headers to the mufflers.

No welding needed.

I also used a chrome sleeve I got at Auto Zone and made a metal bracket that attached to the sleeve and the rear foot pegs.

Was pretty simple and as I got the mufflers free, the other parts cost like $30 total.
Thats interesting. Do you mind if I PM you for more information?
Go right ahead.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

freedom wrote:
Did I ask anyone to build a bike for me? I am working on my bike on my own and plan to keep doing it. This is a forum where people can ask questions and if I dont know something I will ask questions (however stupid) than do something wrong. My question is genuine, I really don't know and ask questions because I want to know. If you dont like my question don't answer. It is easy to ignore threads like this.
I'm sorry, you're absolutely right. Frustrations of the day, I suppose, which you did not deserve to be the brunt of. I apologize.

That said, I would like mention that, unlike the 1000's, which have a slip-on/clamp header to muffler joint, the 1100's joint is welded. There is no flange on the outlet end. The header is also kind of D-shaped and tapers quickly to the outlet. A typical exhaust adapter or reducer won't readily clamp to the header (yes, I've tried, lol). As you also listed your bike as an Aspy, if you are running the saddle bags the angle of the outlet needs to be considered.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

Track T 2411 wrote:
freedom wrote:
Did I ask anyone to build a bike for me? I am working on my bike on my own and plan to keep doing it. This is a forum where people can ask questions and if I dont know something I will ask questions (however stupid) than do something wrong. My question is genuine, I really don't know and ask questions because I want to know. If you dont like my question don't answer. It is easy to ignore threads like this.
I'm sorry, you're absolutely right. Frustrations of the day, I suppose, which you did not deserve to be the brunt of. I apologize.

That said, I would like mention that, unlike the 1000's, which have a slip-on/clamp header to muffler joint, the 1100's joint is welded. There is no flange on the outlet end. The header is also kind of D-shaped and tapers quickly to the outlet. A typical exhaust adapter or reducer won't readily clamp to the header (yes, I've tried, lol). As you also listed your bike as an Aspy, if you are running the saddle bags the angle of the outlet needs to be considered.
I was not aware of these facts.

Good to know.

Wonder why they went that route, seems they just made it more complicated.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Yep, and that joint, especially on the fuel pump side, is the first thing to rust out. I haven't found a good way to repair it that doesn't look like doggy doodoo, either...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
freedom
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by freedom »

Track T 2411 wrote:
freedom wrote:

Apology accepted. I understand anybody could have a bad day. Thanks for the information, thats interesting to know.
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Freedom, please don't take what was said personally, these fellows are great helpers. My comment was a humorous self deprecating comment cause I fumbled my build along. You should see what I did with the clutch for example.

Cyborg, yes you did offer and if I had been closer to your location I would have been more inclined. However, I am proud of what I came out with and I am not done. Anyway, I thank you for all the help you have given me personally and through this forum in general. Now, Back to mufflers....take it away!
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

77Gowing wrote:Freedom, please don't take what was said personally, these fellows are great helpers. My comment was a humorous self deprecating comment cause I fumbled my build along. You should see what I did with the clutch for example.

Cyborg, yes you did offer and if I had been closer to your location I would have been more inclined. However, I am proud of what I came out with and I am not done. Anyway, I thank you for all the help you have given me personally and through this forum in general. Now, Back to mufflers....take it away!
I get that....and NOBODY lives close to me :lol: :lol: :lol:
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200