79gl1000 fan wiring

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

79gl1000 fan wiring

Post by leggman »

I have checked all the components on my 79 fan wiring and everything checks out but the last time I had it running it got really hot (way up the gauge) before I shut it off and the fan never came on.
I understand how it works with switching the ground side but I am still concerned and would like to put in a toggle switch just for emergencies. I have some small toggle switches
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162451110203
and I am wondering if I need to use them with a relay or just use them to switch the ground side?
I fully intend to get the wiring working correctly, This is just a backup.
CYBORG

Re: 79gl1000 fan wiring

Post by CYBORG »

I have my 78 fan wired direct to B+ It will run even when the key is off, til the temp cools off and removes the ground, I also ran a switch so that I can start the fan the same way, by supplying a ground. Even if the key is off. Why you say. (a lot of people do). Because, like most, I want to turn the fan on if the temp gets hot, sometimes before the fan cuts on at normal fan switch temps. I also have replaced the stock fan with a larger diameter fan, on the front of the radiator.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

I took a break from school work (whew) and went into the garage and wired my fan through a relay to a small toggle switch.
The original fan wiring is intact so the thermo switch should still trigger the fan but if it doesn't I can flick the switch to get the temps back down.
IMG_20171110_1627382_rewind.jpg
IMG_20171110_1627382_rewind.jpg (101.35 KiB) Viewed 184 times
IMG_20171110_1627125_rewind.jpg
IMG_20171110_1627125_rewind.jpg (94.12 KiB) Viewed 184 times
I used the acc. terminal just to trigger the coil in the relay, Everything else is a ground straight to the battery.
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

CYBORG wrote:I have my 78 fan wired direct to B+ It will run even when the key is off, til the temp cools off and removes the ground, I also ran a switch so that I can start the fan the same way, by supplying a ground. Even if the key is off. Why you say. (a lot of people do). Because, like most, I want to turn the fan on if the temp gets hot, sometimes before the fan cuts on at normal fan switch temps. I also have replaced the stock fan with a larger diameter fan, on the front of the radiator.
Never was too good at this stuff, unless I'm absolutely certain what I'm doing.
Is this essentially the way you have it wired? And also, if the water pump isn't circulating coolant through the system when the bike is idle, what's the point in having the fan operating?

Thanks....... anim-cheers1 ...Dave
scan0001.jpg
scan0001.jpg (25.78 KiB) Viewed 164 times
"ASSUME NOTHING"

1st motorcycle-1977 Honda CB550F Super Sport
2nd motorcycle-1978 GL1000

"Not riding a motorcycle is wrong"
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Ya that's pretty much the way its wired. When you shut the engine down, correct, water is not circulating. But the temp of the water will often raise as it takes heat away from the engine. Cooling the water in the radiator will actually transfer the cooling effect thru the entire system. I have actually stopped the bike, walked away from it, and have the fan come on after a few minutes, cool the water, and go off. Many cars with electric fans are wired the same way. Is it life or death? No. But another neat thing I sometimes do just because I can :lol:
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

CYBORG wrote:Ya that's pretty much the way its wired. When you shut the engine down, correct, water is not circulating. But the temp of the water will often raise as it takes heat away from the engine. Cooling the water in the radiator will actually transfer the cooling effect thru the entire system. I have actually stopped the bike, walked away from it, and have the fan come on after a few minutes, cool the water, and go off. Many cars with electric fans are wired the same way. Is it life or death? No. But another neat thing I sometimes do just because I can :lol:
I've had two ZL900s. A brand new one in '85 and another a few years back that got rearended and totaled (which broke my heart). Their fans were wired from the factory to run for a minute or so after shutdown if it was hot enough. I'm sure there are others, but I have firsthand knowledge of that one.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

desertrefugee wrote:
CYBORG wrote:Ya that's pretty much the way its wired. When you shut the engine down, correct, water is not circulating. But the temp of the water will often raise as it takes heat away from the engine. Cooling the water in the radiator will actually transfer the cooling effect thru the entire system. I have actually stopped the bike, walked away from it, and have the fan come on after a few minutes, cool the water, and go off. Many cars with electric fans are wired the same way. Is it life or death? No. But another neat thing I sometimes do just because I can :lol:
I've had two ZL900s. A brand new one in '85 and another a few years back that got rearended and totaled (which broke my heart). Their fans were wired from the factory to run for a minute or so after shutdown if it was hot enough. I'm sure there are others, but I have firsthand knowledge of that one.
I could be wrong, but personally I wouldn't expect to see much more than a minimal reduction in coolant heat, with a fan running for an extra minute or so. I agree with Cyborg that wiring that feature in can be a neat idea because he can do it. And I also see conflicting ideas regarding this question everywhere I look, some saying to just shut 'er down and walk away. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has been intimately involved in the design of that feature for cars or bikes, and the reasons for going that route.
I wouldn't even go on about this, but I don't have a life, especially at this time of year with my bike in hibernation. So I do it just because I can. lolol ............Dave
"ASSUME NOTHING"

1st motorcycle-1977 Honda CB550F Super Sport
2nd motorcycle-1978 GL1000

"Not riding a motorcycle is wrong"
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I completely agree. It's really only cooling the water in the radiator. I suspect any conductive cooling of the rest of the coolant throughout the motor block would be minimal at best. I always thought it was a token gesture and didn't really do much to cool the motor down after it was shut off.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

ya, probably no real value. but it does make people perk up when they are standing around looking at it,......and the fan comes on :lol:
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

If the radiator is above the engine, some water will circulate by gravity. heat rises, etc. I used to put circulating systems on basement water heaters with no pump. Hot water heat used to circulate with no pumps. I even had to throttle it to avoid running the water heater too often. That said, I don't want my fan running if I'm not there. Just finiky like that.
78 GL 1000, 70 CB750 sandcast, 70 CB836 hot rod, 1124cc 750 dragbike resto project.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.