electronic flasher

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

electronic flasher

Post by tlbranth »

Just finishing up testing of a totally new wiring system on my GL1000. all 4 turn signals are led and so are the dash indicators. I bought a 2-pin flasher many moons ago from NAPA. I've incorporated an emergency 4-way emergency flash setup and when I turned it on, the lamps just sort of varied in brightness. They didn't really flash too much. The dash indicators barely changed brightness. I unplugged the flasher and tested the light circuit by jumping the 2 leads that were plugged into it and got great results. Plugged the leads back into the flasher and now it doesn't work at all. One of the terminals has come adrift which is probably what's wrong. I'll buy another flasher but don't want the same bad results. I want a decent flash. Reading some of the stuff on the forum I saw there are 2-pin flashers with a ground wire which sounds like maybe that's the way to go.
So....any first-hand experience? Got one with definite on/off flashing? Nope, don't want shunt resistors. Just want a working electronic flasher.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: electronic flasher

Post by SnoBrdr »

tlbranth wrote:Just finishing up testing of a totally new wiring system on my GL1000. all 4 turn signals are led and so are the dash indicators. I bought a 2-pin flasher many moons ago from NAPA. I've incorporated an emergency 4-way emergency flash setup and when I turned it on, the lamps just sort of varied in brightness. They didn't really flash too much. The dash indicators barely changed brightness. I unplugged the flasher and tested the light circuit by jumping the 2 leads that were plugged into it and got great results. Plugged the leads back into the flasher and now it doesn't work at all. One of the terminals has come adrift which is probably what's wrong. I'll buy another flasher but don't want the same bad results. I want a decent flash. Reading some of the stuff on the forum I saw there are 2-pin flashers with a ground wire which sounds like maybe that's the way to go.
So....any first-hand experience? Got one with definite on/off flashing? Nope, don't want shunt resistors. Just want a working electronic flasher.
You obviously need a LED capable flasher.

There's one being sold on Amazon that is two prongs with a ground wire.

I have been told that works but have not used one myself as I gave up on using the LEDs because I could never get them to work.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
Wangthang
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Wangthang »

I had all kind of problems with led rear lights, and filament fronts. I bought two adjustable led flashers off ebay for 4.95. They work for me.
1977 Gl 1000
1976 F1 750 SS
1973 Ironhead chopper
2007 Road King
1974 dohc 450 chopper project
1976 Gl 1000 parts bike
600rr parts bike
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

Wangthang wrote:I had all kind of problems with led rear lights, and filament fronts. I bought two adjustable led flashers off ebay for 4.95. They work for me.
What's adjustable? the voltage?
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

I had success with an led specific flasher from ebay for about 5 bucks
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Not all flashers are the same. Even electronic ones. I've had to try different ones a times to get them to flash. Even from one bike to another the same one did not always work. :-?

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

There are units available compatible with both LED and filaments - or a mixture of the two. Those might be your best bet.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Wangthang
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Wangthang »

Voo doo
1977 Gl 1000
1976 F1 750 SS
1973 Ironhead chopper
2007 Road King
1974 dohc 450 chopper project
1976 Gl 1000 parts bike