Winter overhaul

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

jdunn45
Lead Member
Lead Member

Winter overhaul

Post by jdunn45 »

Winter is approaching, and I am planning an overhaul of my new-to-me 79 gl1000.
The bike is in decent shape, and is running well, as far as I can tell. The PO gave me a list of things he did, but no proof other than it's running pretty good. He said he did the belts, cleaned the carbs, did the brakes, and did the fluids. To put my mind at ease, and to get to know my bike, I will be redoing all of this over the winter. The tires have to be done, so I figure, why not do the rest while they are off.

The big projects planned are:

- Electronic ignition - I want C5 but they don't have a product yet, so probably dyna ignition and coils
- carb overhaul - Randakks kit
- timing belts

I will also be doing all the fluids, forks, hoses etc..

My main question is what order... Should I do the belts and ignition before I pull the carbs? do the carbs first? all at the same time? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
CYBORG

Re: Winter overhaul

Post by CYBORG »

I don't know why "they don't have a system yet". I hve one on my 78,and I recommend it
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

As far as 'order' goes, I might suggest doing the non-engine stuff first, then do one thing on the engine at a time, and verify everything is working as it should. Nothing sucks more than doing it all at once, then chasing your tail trying to figure out which system or part isn't working right. Believe me, been there done that, lol!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
canuckxxx
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by canuckxxx »

If you just bought this bike I would suggest you put some miles on it with what is left of the riding season. See what is wrong with the bike and what works good before searing it apart.
1982 GL1100 Naked
Oldboy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Oldboy »

Ditto Canuckxxx.
Cheers...

Just Wing-it
jdunn45
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by jdunn45 »

I've definitely been putting some miles on her! Thats just the thing, it's actually running really well. I don't have a apples to apples comparison though. Idle bounces a teeny bit, but I have never seen a 70s bike that didn't, so it seems solid. Throttle response is pretty even, although the throttle itself is a bit sticky. It doesn't blow any smoke, and didn't after a seafoam treatment either. Two of the Carb slide cover caps are broken and the PO covered them with foil tape, so I have to pull the carb anyways...
The tires are on their last season, so they are coming off, and I figured why not do everything? I will have the time, and a few spare bucks this year.

I was thinking about doing the belts and ignition first, tuning it up, then pulling the carbs and doing them..
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

The only reason I suggested the non-engine stuff first is to avoid having to let all the nice new cleaned up throbthrough and stuff sit full of fuel while you do the rest. It certainly makes sense to me to do the wheel bearings and go through the brakes etc. while you're at it, especially if you're going to be putting a lot of miles on it. Peace of mind is priceless when you're a ways from home!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.