Bad coil?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Rockdog
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Bad coil?

Post by Rockdog »

Hello all… I've got a problem with my bike… Until it warms up completely it does not run on all four cylinders… Number one cylinder is lazy… It seems to me until the coil warms up that it does not want to run on number one cylinder… I've switch the wires around and pulled the plugs to make sure it was number one cylinder when it's cold it has no spark but as soon as the temperature gage hits the first part of the solid white warm line it starts running on all four cylinders and as long as it's warmed up it stays that way… I can ride all day long stop when I want to however long I want to but as long as the bike is somewhat warm it will start right up and run on all four cylinders… Do I have a lazy coil what do you think… New plugs and I cut about a quarter inch of plug wire on number one cylinder off and reattached also switched out the plug cap .....so my thinking is that I have a lazy coil… Thanks for your help
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Bad coil?

Post by ericheath »

Try swapping the plug to see if it follows the plug?
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

You didn't say for sure that it does follow the wire when switched, but, if it is the coil itself, it would affect both cylinders (1 and 2) at the same time (one coil for 1-2, other coil for 3-4).
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Oldboy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Oldboy »

Are these the original coils?
Cheers...

Just Wing-it
Rockdog
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Rockdog »

I took both plugs out ground out number one plug no spark… Ground out number number two plugand got spark… Took plug one and put it into wire number two grounded out and had spark… Took number one wire and used number to spark plug and there was no spark… So number one wire was dead … All for spark plugs or new…
Rockdog
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Rockdog »

But as I said once the motorcycle warms up it runs just fine idles fine runs fine revs fine and everything
Rockdog
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Rockdog »

Maybe it's just the plug wire?
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

replace the wire......and ride on
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Rockdog
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Rockdog »

K...I'll try the plug wire... luckily I have a 79 parts bike and this one's a 78
Rockdog
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Rockdog »

Well.... used coil and plug wire off parts bike .... Put them on and still runs on 3 cylinders..changed spark plugs ... it ran on all four cylinders .. waited five minutes....ran on three cylinders... when it runs on 3 cylinders it has no spark... before the change and after...... I got nothing. Besides a hate for electrical..........
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Is it possible it's only running on two cylinders? They will run on two. If so, it could be points or electronic ignition. As Trak mentioned one coil feeds the 1-2 cylinders, the other feeds 3-4 and so each set of points triggers the same. Too be sure we're referring to the right cylinders, numbers one and three cylinders are on the right side, numbers two an four are on the left.

If you have Dyna electronic ignition, it is fairly common for them to begin dropping two cylinders randomly before giving up the ghost.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Rockdog
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Rockdog »

Interestingly enough when I checked for spark it was dead on # 1 cylinder and the others had spark... just woke up... need coffee in a cup..... then going to the shop and tinker with it again
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

Very true that a failed coil will kill two cylinders normally but I had one that Ohm meter tested good and yet had a intermittent dead cylinder. it turned out the coil was cracked by the mounting and would short at times and cause only one cylinder to drop. As if you grounded one plug wire to the head the other one runs fine. Swapping wires side to side may confirm this if the problem moves. or possibly even swapping the coils side to side.
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
Rockdog
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Rockdog »

OK my mistake the other day it was only one cylinder that dropped but this morning after switching the coil And the wires and the spark plug last night ..... as I said it did run on all cylinders last night for about a minute and then I turned it off five minutes later he did not run on four cylinders so I do have the plug wires where they should be… This morning I went and checked spark on all four cylinders number one and number two cylinder do not have spark at all… So at this point what are my options for another electronic ignition… Do I need a new control box and the electronic ignition on the motor?… Here's a picture of the control box and the electronic ignition on the engine… Hopefully the picture show up
Attachments
IMG_1441.JPG
IMG_1441.JPG (177.77 KiB) Viewed 189 times
IMG_1442.JPG
IMG_1442.JPG (209.73 KiB) Viewed 189 times
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

That is an old version of a Dyna. Contact Dyna. They will have you send it in. If it is bad they will usually sell you a new one for a discounted price.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder