Rusty gas tank

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Rusty gas tank

Post by RB »

I always use muractic acid..and a water mix..the heavier the acid the faster it works..like 5 minutes with a 50/50 mix. The down side to acid is it will eat the tank if you let it sit too long..better to fill rotate and dump check the tank for rust and redo if needed. Then POR the bike kit will do two tanks. The key to it is thin coating is a must if you let it pool it will peel.

I have done 5 tanks this way with no issues..takes an hour or two start to finish..then letting the POR dry for a day or two..

I have used vinegar too..but it takes longer several days but it is safer..
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
Chang_G_Wing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Chang_G_Wing »

WingMan71 wrote:
Chang_G_Wing wrote:Ok, I'm sold. On my way to industrial finishes. Thanks again will come back and give feed back dancr :crosso
Chang,

IF your gas tank is NOT OUT OF THE BIKE, you can't use a POR-15 kit to restore it!

I restore vintage Japanese motorcycles for a hobby, and I've restored over a dozen gas tanks using the POR-15 motorcycle gas tank restoration kit, and it's my favorite. But... the gas tank has to be out of the bike and be able to be rotated on all sides, including upside down, to apply the final sealant step.

So, if your tank is IN your bike, you can't seal the tank. None of the sealant kits can be used to fully seal a tank that is still on the bike, for the same reason.

Yes, you can use the Metal Prep liquid in the kit to remove the rust, but the kit doesn't include a large amount of that, only a pint or two, not enough to fill the tank even with your ping pong balls.

You are better off just using just a good rust remover to remove the rust from your tank. You will never get it "sealed" unless you are willing to remove the tank from your bike so it can be rotated to apply the final sealant.

I have not used Metal Rescue as a rust remover, so I can't comment on its effectiveness.

My favorite rust remover is Evaporust. Best rust remover I've ever used. It's non-caustic and can be flushed down the drain when you're done using it. It is expensive, but it can be reused until it turns completely black. (It's clear to start with.)

I like your idea of filling space in the tank with ping-pong balls to save on rust remover expense!

If you DO have your gas tank out of the bike, then by all means use the POR-15 kit. If you do, let me know, I've written a detailed step-by-step procedure for using it with tips and lessons learned from doing over a dozen gas tanks with it.

Yes, I am aware that I have to remove the tank from the bike. Its not a hard job, I actually removed it once and got some rust out. just didn't do it 100%. which I've stated in other post. haha and now I'm here trying to do properly. I tried taking short cuts but now I have to remove the tank and the carbs and clean it all out again. good thing I have 3 days off work.
You've stated that you used POR 15 kit quite a bit? I'm curious about something I noticed inside the gas tank. looks kinda like a metal net near the bottom on the tank. does this need to be removed once I get this tank out. Also I would love a step by step with tips and tricks. I'm gonna start tearing her down in a couple of hours. Oh and always thanks anim-cheers1
1980 Honda Goldwing Gl1100

crossy.gif -I ride naked- crossy.gif

lolol This Is My First Motorcycle lolol

Portland, Oregon
Chang_G_Wing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Chang_G_Wing »

RB wrote:I always use muractic acid..and a water mix..the heavier the acid the faster it works..like 5 minutes with a 50/50 mix. The down side to acid is it will eat the tank if you let it sit too long..better to fill rotate and dump check the tank for rust and redo if needed. Then POR the bike kit will do two tanks. The key to it is thin coating is a must if you let it pool it will peel.

I have done 5 tanks this way with no issues..takes an hour or two start to finish..then letting the POR dry for a day or two..

I have used vinegar too..but it takes longer several days but it is safer..
I was thinking of trying this method. My tank isn't in too bad of a shape( or at least I think). I rode her about 1500 miles with out ever any problems. I can still see metal from all my viewing angles inside the tank. So I'm going with just the POR and see what it does. Then again the salesman at Industrial finishes told me that POR doesn't remove any rust, that it converts it to a phosphorus state confused22 . Then in my head( I WANT TO REMOVE IT, NOT CHANGE IT) lolol

Portland, Oregon
WingMan71
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by WingMan71 »

Chang_G_Wing wrote:... You've stated that you used POR 15 kit quite a bit? I'm curious about something I noticed inside the gas tank. looks kinda like a metal net near the bottom on the tank. does this need to be removed once I get this tank out. Also I would love a step by step with tips and tricks. I'm gonna start tearing her down in a couple of hours. Oh and always thanks anim-cheers1
Chang,

I've posted up my POR-15 Tips and Lessons Learned procedure on the forum, here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63484

Read through that before you start and you'll have a much better time at it.

The "metal net" you see at the bottom of the tank is a strainer over the fuel outlet. There are actually two of them, one over the main fuel pickup and one further down and back in the bottom of the tank over the reserve fuel pickup. They won't be damaged by the rust remover or the cleaner or prep, but you CAN'T get them covered up with the tank sealer! If you did, no gas would ever flow out of the gas tank! Bad! I don't believe that you can remove those from the tank, so they will have to be well covered before you put in the tank sealant. You should be able to get at them through the gas filler hole and the fuel gauge sender hole to get them covered. I'm not sure what to cover them with, but they will have to be covered.

Good luck with it.
1983 GL650 Silver Wing Interstate
2006 Gold Wing GL1800 CSC Trike
1982 CB750 Custom
1976 Gold Wing GL1000 LTD - SOLD :(
1987 Gold Wing GL1200A Aspencade - SOLD :(
U.S. Navy SWO 1967-1976
Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Toehead »

I've heard of people hooking up a low-pressure air line to "blow" through them while the POR is curing to prevent them from getting plugged.
2012 Golf TDI, fast and frugal oil burner
1980 CX500C, All around road warrior (Sold)
1975 TS125 (Sold), old smoker
1977 naked GL1000, Highway cruiser
'81 GL1100 14,000 (reconditioned and sold)
'81 GL1100 50,000 miles (under construction)
2X 1981 CM400 beginner bike (sold)
1980 CB750C (sold)
1994 Virago 750 (Wifey's bike)
'76 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow (Megasquirted efi build) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59774
WingMan71
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by WingMan71 »

Toehead wrote:I've heard of people hooking up a low-pressure air line to "blow" through them while the POR is curing to prevent them from getting plugged.
Excellent! action1
1983 GL650 Silver Wing Interstate
2006 Gold Wing GL1800 CSC Trike
1982 CB750 Custom
1976 Gold Wing GL1000 LTD - SOLD :(
1987 Gold Wing GL1200A Aspencade - SOLD :(
U.S. Navy SWO 1967-1976
Chang_G_Wing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Chang_G_Wing »

Toehead wrote:I've heard of people hooking up a low-pressure air line to "blow" through them while the POR is curing to prevent them from getting plugged.
Great idea! I didn't know how I was going to cover that up.
Is a bike pump considered a low air pressure line?
If not any DIY ideas or inexpensive options. Mean while I'll check harbor freight.

Portland, Oregon
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

Chang_G_Wing wrote:
If not any DIY ideas or inexpensive options. Mean while I'll check harbor freight.
Anything that would give a continuous air supply, even a fish tank pump.

I didn't do this when I did mine but it can't hurt.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
Chang_G_Wing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Chang_G_Wing »

SnoBrdr wrote:
Chang_G_Wing wrote:
Anything that would give a continuous air supply, even a fish tank pump.

I didn't do this when I did mine but it can't hurt.
Yes, I didn't even think of that. I got a few of those laying around. Thanks anim-cheers1

Portland, Oregon
Chang_G_Wing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Chang_G_Wing »

So I'm not sure how rusty is rusty so I was able to pull a few images of how much rust I have. Should I get some evaporust first or is my POR 15 kit good enough? As always I appreciate all the input and advice. Thanks to all
Attachments
IMG_1036.JPG
IMG_1036.JPG (234.26 KiB) Viewed 415 times
IMG_1037.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG (374.01 KiB) Viewed 415 times
IMG_1044.JPG
IMG_1044.JPG (196.31 KiB) Viewed 415 times

Portland, Oregon
scootsx2
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by scootsx2 »

That just looks like surface rust. A good soak with EvapoRust and a periodic agitation should do the trick. Fill the tank completely. Another thing to check... use a borescope or a mirror and flashlight to check the underside of the top of the tank. There might be some ugly crud up there.
1975 GL1000 Sidecar Outfit
1982 CX500-based Trident ex-Police Trike
2001 GL1800 MotorTrike
2006 Vespa LX150
1956 Francis-Barnett Falcon 74
195x Solex 1700
196x Solex 2200

St. Louis, MO

The dude abides.

Brothers of the Third Wheel - Gateway Chapter http://www.btw-trikers.org
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club http://www.vjmc.org
Francis-Barnett Owners Club http://www.francis-barnett.co.uk/
Antique Motorcycle Club of America http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/
Vintage Motor Cycle Club http://www.vmcc.net
British Motorcycle Charitable Trust http://www.bmct.org/
VeloSolex Club UK http://www.velosolexclubuk.com/
Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Toehead »

Degrease before evaporust (or any water based solution) or it won't work as well.
2012 Golf TDI, fast and frugal oil burner
1980 CX500C, All around road warrior (Sold)
1975 TS125 (Sold), old smoker
1977 naked GL1000, Highway cruiser
'81 GL1100 14,000 (reconditioned and sold)
'81 GL1100 50,000 miles (under construction)
2X 1981 CM400 beginner bike (sold)
1980 CB750C (sold)
1994 Virago 750 (Wifey's bike)
'76 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow (Megasquirted efi build) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59774
Chang_G_Wing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Chang_G_Wing »

Lol thanks for the replies. I laugh because I feel like I'm going around in circles. I read wingman forum on his step by step guide and tips and he said if the tanks are heavily rusted he would use evaporust before starting the process of POR 15 kit and sealer. When I read that I wanted to show if my tank was badly rusted. So I put up some pics. The POR kit has the degreaser and the metal prep. The metal prep should take care of the rust and get it ready for the sealer. Now my main question now is. Does that amount of rust call for some evaporust before the POR kit? In my head here are the steps I need to take in case it does need the evaporust.

Step one-degrease the tank (POR 15)
Step two-evaporust the tank
Step three-metal prep the tank (POR 15)
Step four-seal with sealer (POR 15)

These steps are based on the pictures if the tank is considered heavily rusted. sorry if I'm getting into too much details. I just want to do this right and don't want to use a lot of money. 5 gal of evaporust is 90 bucks and I already purchased the POR 15 kit which was 50 bucks. Thanks guy

Portland, Oregon
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

Chang_G_Wing wrote:Lol thanks for the replies. I laugh because I feel like I'm going around in circles. I read wingman forum on his step by step guide and tips and he said if the tanks are heavily rusted he would use evaporust before starting the process of POR 15 kit and sealer. When I read that I wanted to show if my tank was badly rusted. So I put up some pics. The POR kit has the degreaser and the metal prep. The metal prep should take care of the rust and get it ready for the sealer. Now my main question now is. Does that amount of rust call for some evaporust before the POR kit? In my head here are the steps I need to take in case it does need the evaporust.

Step one-degrease the tank (POR 15)
Step two-evaporust the tank
Step three-metal prep the tank (POR 15)
Step four-seal with sealer (POR 15)

These steps are based on the pictures if the tank is considered heavily rusted. sorry if I'm getting into too much details. I just want to do this right and don't want to use a lot of money. 5 gal of evaporust is 90 bucks and I already purchased the POR 15 kit which was 50 bucks. Thanks guy
I'd say you don't need it with the POR kit, that's why they give you everything you need.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
warhead_71
Silver Member
Silver Member
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index. ... _71?page=2

Post by warhead_71 »

Compared to what my tank used to look like, yours is not bad at all :D

I used apple cider vinegar on mine and got it down to bare metal. A long toilet brush helps flake off a lot of the loose rust.

I have also read a lot of good results with "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner... you can get it from the Dollar Store. Search YouTube... lots of videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCAvHcc2vNs
( Other bikes: 76 CB200T | 68 CL350 | 69 CB350 | 76 CB360T | 78 CB400T | 81 CM400 | 79 CB750F | 81 CB650C | 73, 74, 76 CB750K | 83 V45 Magna | 84 V65 Magna )
'78 GL1000 :: EMGO Superbike handlebars, Corbin touring seat, National Cycle F-16 windscreen, EMGO "Roadhawk" wide-mouth 24" megaphones.