Fire in the hole

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

DVL1000
Brass Member
Brass Member

Fire in the hole

Post by DVL1000 »

Hello All,

I rebuilt everything on my 78 including the engine. (Getting 165 to 170 psi on each cylinder). Anyways, I went on a ride (50 miles) and when I returned the LH sportster muffler was glowing inside. Is this a sign of timing or bad carbs.

Thanks,

David
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Fire in the hole

Post by salukispeed »

Are the sportster mufflers you are using of the catalytic converter type. If so you could have a rich condition and that would cause the ceramic matrix to run red/orange hot. Also retarded timing can make the exhaust run terribly hot. a lean mixture can also run hot. But if using new bike take off mufflers i suspect they are cat type.
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
DVL1000
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by DVL1000 »

Hi,

One side is not hot at all. Never thought of cat mufflers, thanks I will look into it. I am suspecting it is raw fuel, I will also look into advancing the timing, I am using Dyna.

Thanks,

David
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

You could temporarily swap the muffs side to side (if you didn't weld them up) and see if it follows.
Don't just advance the timing, make sure it is correct rather than adjusting it to cover up the real problem. First simple tests would be to check header temps to make sure all cylinders are firing, check for spark at each plug, and pull the plugs and read for color.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
DVL1000
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by DVL1000 »

Thanks. I'm going to recheck everything and try another set of carbs. Never thought of switching mufflers so I will try that too.
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

Same thing happened to me. I have Bonneville mufflers on my '75. I rebuilt the carbs a while back using Randakk's kit and dvd. #2 was fouling plugs and the left muffler melted my saddlebag and discolored the chrome. I've had the whole bike apart for 'remodeling' and checking the #2 carb fuel level was on my to-do list. What I found was, I'd left off the plastic gasket that goes under the round thingy the piston rides in. I'm pretty sure that's going to be what the problem was. Haven't got the bike together yet so I'll have to see. You might check that though. Also, just take a look at the plugs.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
DVL1000
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by DVL1000 »

Hi,

Replaced the carbs with another set. Very strange, plug #2 was still wet. Re-checked the timing and valve clearances. I also checked for spark (all sparking).I then swapped plugs and started the bike and started to pull plug wires. At idle I can pull #3 and # 4 without changing the idle but will not rev up. With all spark plugs connected it revs good. I checked the advance and it seems Ok. I'm using DYNA with gl1000 coils.. any ideas????
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

You have spark at 3&4 but no idle, so it's likely not enough fuel or too much fuel at idle. They're not wet so likely not enough fuel. Try turning the idle/air screw on those two carbs out a half a turn at a time to let more fuel mix in. If no change, you have not enough fuel getting to those carbs at idle.

If your floats were set really low it might cause this, but more likely it is a still plugged idle circuit.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
DVL1000
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by DVL1000 »

Thanks, that makes sense. I'll let you know how it goes.