Piston in honing - advice before I start?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Piston in honing - advice before I start?

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Like the title says: I want to hone the cylinders without removing the pistons and I want advice from those who have.

In all my years of working on my own bikes I have never honed a cylinder before but there was a bit of rust in a couple of the cylinders and after I cleaned it out and can just feel where it was with a fingernail so I guess I need to now. And I don't want to take this engine apart any more than I already have so I need to do it with the pistons in the cylinders.

I plan to start by masking off the water jacket and putting a plastic bag over the rest of the engine to keep the dirt out of it but how can I keep bits of grit & debris from getting between the piston & the cylinder?
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: Piston in honing - advice before I start?

Post by Whiskerfish »

I have never done it like that but I have an idea. May be a bit far fetched?? I would clean the cylinder wall and with the piston at BDC put a bead of silicone caulk around the edge of the piston sealing it to the wall. Let it cure and then run your hone. When done clean the cylinder and hopefully the caulk should just peel off in one piece.

Like I said i have never done it but I have used silicone caulk before for similar things.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

They make a 'dry strippable' silicon caulking that might do the job ....

Gord :roll:
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I would be concerned about how much the cyl needed honing. Your rings, which actually contact the wall of the cyl. are below the top of the piston, and can not be cleaned up without removing the pistons. And you would run the risk of creating ridge in the cyl. just above the top of the piston. Unless your area of concern is near the top of the cyl, I would pull the pistons, and do it right ;)
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
jdvorchak
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by jdvorchak »

Personally I would run the bike a hundred miles and re-inspect. My guess is that the rust ring will disappear. No matter how you run the hone you will only hone the top part of the cylinder walls. In my mind a half honed cylinder is probably worse than not touching them at all. Those rings have seated themselves to the existing cylinder walls and any change you make, by honing will force the rings to try to re-seat.

Just my 2 cents worth.
New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help:
http://ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST

Don't fix it 'til it's broke...
The person with the most toys wins!
If it has wheels or a skirt you can't afford it.
Amateur Radio Station WW9L

71 CL350 with Bingham side car
2021 HD Triglide
2008 HD Dyna Low Rider
83 KZ1100L1 Son totaled it
83 KZ550LTD Shaft sold

Previous bikes: 84 GL1200 STD, 83 KZ550LTD, 83 CB1000, 78 CB400A, 82 CB900F, 79 CB750K, 2001 GL1800, 2000 Dyna Super Glide, 1972 CB350 K4, 1985 GL1200A, 1997 1200 Sportster, 84 GL1200I, 82 Honda CM400E, 81 Suzuki GS650L, 72 Triumph Bonneville 750, 72 Honda CB350, 66(?) Honda 305 Scrambler, 6? Yamaha yz250, 62 650 Matchless (Norton-Villers).
John
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the area that needs honing is near the top in both of the cylinders that need it, starting right next to the area that is covered with carbon and about a cm or less in from there.
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
jdvorchak
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by jdvorchak »

If that's all there is I'd use some emery cloth and your finger to smooth the rusted area. Wipe up the residue with an oily rag and call it a day. Or pull the cylinders, fit a new set of rings and do it right.
New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help:
http://ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST

Don't fix it 'til it's broke...
The person with the most toys wins!
If it has wheels or a skirt you can't afford it.
Amateur Radio Station WW9L

71 CL350 with Bingham side car
2021 HD Triglide
2008 HD Dyna Low Rider
83 KZ1100L1 Son totaled it
83 KZ550LTD Shaft sold

Previous bikes: 84 GL1200 STD, 83 KZ550LTD, 83 CB1000, 78 CB400A, 82 CB900F, 79 CB750K, 2001 GL1800, 2000 Dyna Super Glide, 1972 CB350 K4, 1985 GL1200A, 1997 1200 Sportster, 84 GL1200I, 82 Honda CM400E, 81 Suzuki GS650L, 72 Triumph Bonneville 750, 72 Honda CB350, 66(?) Honda 305 Scrambler, 6? Yamaha yz250, 62 650 Matchless (Norton-Villers).
John
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Here are a couple of other threads that describe honing with the piston in. My cylinders don't look nearly as bad as the ones in these threads.
https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 70#p586589
CYBORG wrote:i would lower the piston in the bad cyl., and run a hone into it as far as possible, and see how well it cleans up. i have done that with engines, and have them work well. it will depend on how bad the rust is. from the pictures i would say you will wind up with a runner
but no mention of keeping the grit out of the rings or how to clean up.

https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8&p=466190
sproutroot wrote:Honed both #1 and #3. There wasn't enough room for plumber's putty, it would've made a big mess. Instead, I used TONS of hot, soapy water after honing, then some MMO.
I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go for it and flush them out with Tool & Parts Cleaner when I'm done...
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

If you want to try the hone I cannot offer any pros and cons there since I have no real knowledge of the upside or downside of doing the procedure, yet I can offer a suggestion on sealing the ring area.

I would rotate the piston to BDC and then raise it back up the cylinder about 1/4" and seal the area around the piston with a grease from a squeeze tube type applicator that you can apply easily around the gap. Hone away on the upper portion to just remove the rust remnants and no more.

Retract the piston back to BDC and wipe out the grease and any grit trapped in there and then tilt the cylinder/engine block downward slightly and spray brake cleaner all around the piston crown while allowing the excess cleaner to drain out the top of the cylinder opening.

I have never tried this procedure, yet it should offer a secure way to trap any small particles and offer a way to make sure the cylinder and rings don't become contaminated with particles and not leaving any sealant behind.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

No matter what you will not likely be able to hone it enough to get any and all rust removed. Unless crusty/raised rust, The rust is actually a pit or depression that will not touch the rings since it would be microns below the surface. If you caulk the piston at/near BDC with grease use 400 emery and a straight block curved to match the cylinder radius you can mimic the desired 45 deg cross hatch and remove just the peaks to allow a friendly surface for the rings to touch . You can likely never remove enough to eliminate it all. I have seen quite a few engines with water damage that run fine and after some run time they work fine. Just do not create a dip or low spot as the rings can not follow that. . Small pits may even carbon up and fill in a tiny bit over time. Absolutely do not wire brush the surface as this will make any depressions even deeper. My toyota had a junk yard motor in it and was pretty badly rusted at and above above the rings from water ( Head gasket ) and after trying this I ended up with 1 quart in 3,000 miles oil consumption and after 130,000 more miles it was still running strong. Just an opinion!
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

I agree with the logic of, Just Leave It Alone.
When you start removing any material with a "hone", the desirable clearance between the complementing parts is increased and there is no benefit from having done so. ;)
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

No opinion about honing or not. When notching the pistons on my hybrids, the first I used grease and there is merit to flying900's suggestion of a little up from BDC. Of course mine was done at TDC. I wiped clean then sprayed the snot out of it with brake cleaner.

I dressed the top of the block once with glass and sandpaper. I used modeling clay. I put the cylinders in the middle of the stroke and formed a half inch wide bed of clay around the diameter of the piston. Then I smeared grease. Not sure if that would be appropriate with honing because you wouldn't get to the bottom, but you aren't getting there anyways. It seemed to work best for ensuring debris stayed clear of the rings and allowed better cleanup. The clay will pull out easily if you don't mash it in there.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
JBz
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by JBz »

my experience is any rust that's been sitting for a while leads to stuck piston rings. Some people say they will loosen up after running but that hasn't been my experience. Im with Cyborg on this one. JB
jbz........... Thinkin about sh-t too hard and You wont get anything done
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I think the rings should be OK because the pistons in the cylinders with the rust were near the bottom and the rust is near the tops of the cylinders.

I also like Flyin's suggestion about the just above BDC and grease. I currently have the rear cover off (the gasket showed signs of oil seepage and I wanted to remove the pulser shaft) so I want to put that back together first. With any luck I'll hone tomorrow. I will take before & after pics.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

My buddy with more experience looked at it and says I shouldn't hone so I am not going to. I have started a thread for this project and posted pics there Mr.H's new engine

While we were looking at it we noticed that 3 of the pistons are flush with the mating surface at TDC but the other is not (see pic in post #5 of that thread). Is that normal or do I have a problem? (Please answer in the other thread so it will all be together)