Prepping for front end renewal project...

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Hrcnsfan
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Prepping for front end renewal project...

Post by Hrcnsfan »

Hello all. On Memorial Day weekend I plan on completing a front-end renewal project, like the one Roady has outlined on the forum, on my '82 Wing that just clicked over 137,000 miles. It's developed an oil leak dripping out of the timing belt cover (left side mostly...no coolant) so I'm prepared to replace the cam shaft seals. Keeping it on the center stand tends to prevent it from dripping much at all when it's parked. Although, I do have to top it off every two weeks or so. But anyway, while I'm in there, I'm planning to replace all the components that I encounter that are subject to wear and tear and failure. Over the past several months, I've done as much reading as I could on this site, and others that I'm sure you're all familiar with, and this is what I'm replacing...
I already have, or have ordered, the following...
*Oil and filter
*Air filter
*Fuel filter
*Coolant
*Coolant hose
*Spark plugs
*Timing belts
*Cam shaft seals
*Water pump
*Fan switch
*Thermostat
*Neutral switch
I also have a complete Vesrah, full-engine gasket kit. Obviously I'm not going that far but I ordered it just in case I need something else in the future.
So, I think I've got (or will have have by mid-next week) all the components for the job. Is there anything I've overlooked that should be replaced while I'm in there?
Have you encountered anything in doing this job where a special tool would have been particularly useful? (I'm making a list of all the socket sizes that are mentioned in Roady's post and will be buying a cheap set of containers for bits and pieces)
I'll also likely replace the valve cover gaskets and bolt seals. Are there any other seals that you'd recommend I replace while the motor and coolant are empty? After all, I have every one of 'em.
This Wing is my primary transportation and daily rider throughout the year here in NC. If there's no ice and we don't have a hurricane blowing through I'm on it. I want to do all I can to keep this great bike on the road and running smoothly. Beyond replacing the timing belts when I first got it and periodic oil changes, I'm not aware that anything this extensive has been done to it.
Also, one of my primary questions is this; Regarding the Vesrah kit, are there o-rings and/or seals that can be easily confused for one another that I need to be particularly careful about selecting?
Any tips, words of wisdom, and friendly encouragement are welcome.
If I get in a jam, hopefully Sagebrush will be willing to come bail me out! :-D
Thanks in advance!
anim-cheers1
1982 GL1100 Interstate
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: Prepping for front end renewal project...

Post by Rat »

Robin offers a set of replacements for the front cover fasteners which are very worthwhile ....

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Hrcnsfan
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Hrcnsfan »

RAT wrote:Robin offers a set of replacements for the front cover fasteners which are very worthwhile ....

Gord
Can you elaborate on what "front cover fasteners" you're referring to and who Robin is?

Thanks
1982 GL1100 Interstate
odyssey
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by odyssey »

I would add timing belt tensioner springs to the list. And I like to use rubber grease for the o-rings. I'm guessing that you have a nice JIS screwdriver and maybe also an JIS impact screwdriver. Maybe you would consider changing the bolts to hex head stainless. Taking the old bolts out may require an impact screwdriver and lots of patience :). You will also need a nice gasket remover or alternative.
Past rides:
'72 Vespa Rally 180, Honda Elite 125, Suzuki TU 250, Yamaha XT 600, Suzuki DR 650, Nighthawk 750
Current: '76 GL1000
Hrcnsfan
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Hrcnsfan »

odyssey wrote:I would add timing belt tensioner springs to the list. And I like to use rubber grease for the o-rings. I'm guessing that you have a nice JIS screwdriver and maybe also an JIS impact screwdriver. Maybe you would consider changing the bolts to hex head stainless. Taking the old bolts out may require an impact screwdriver and lots of patience :). You will also need a nice gasket remover or alternative.
Thanks, odyssey. Good call on the tensioner springs. I do have a set of JIS screwdrivers...but a JIS impact screwdriver? Hmmm...I'll have to look into that. Are you referring to the bolts for the transmission cover, specifically, that can be tough? I'll make sure I have gasket remover and o-ring grease on hand.
1982 GL1100 Interstate
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

He has an 1100. Those have hex head bolts in the front (transmission) cover. No need for my kit or the impact driver. Although the impact driver is a nice tool to have around. http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-5-in-Impact-D ... rkt%3D1%26

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Hrcnsfan
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Hrcnsfan »

robin1731 wrote:He has an 1100. Those have hex head bolts in the front (transmission) cover. No need for my kit or the impact driver. Although the impact driver is a nice tool to have around. http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-5-in-Impact-D ... rkt%3D1%26

Thanks for clarifying that, Robin. Cool tool, though.
1982 GL1100 Interstate
odyssey
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by odyssey »

Thanks Robin. I didn't remember that the 1100 has hex heads.
I bought three JIS bits on eBay (~ $10-15) and I use them with my [Harbor Freight] impact driver.
Past rides:
'72 Vespa Rally 180, Honda Elite 125, Suzuki TU 250, Yamaha XT 600, Suzuki DR 650, Nighthawk 750
Hrcnsfan
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Hrcnsfan »

I'm having trouble finding new springs for the timing belt tensioners. Anyone else have input on those and where I can buy them online?
1982 GL1100 Interstate
odyssey
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by odyssey »

Bike Bandit has them. Look under Body & Fenders > OEM Parts > Front cover - Timing belt parts. #15
Past rides:
Hrcnsfan
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Hrcnsfan »

odyssey wrote:Bike Bandit has them. Look under Body & Fenders > OEM Parts > Front cover - Timing belt parts. #15
Got 'em! Thanks dude.
1982 GL1100 Interstate
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Sorry about the confusion ... my bad .... I should stick to guarding the beer fridge anim-cheers1

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
odyssey
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by odyssey »

Forgot to mention the 3 crush washers for the water pump.
Past rides:
Hrcnsfan
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Hrcnsfan »

odyssey wrote:Forgot to mention the 3 crush washers for the water pump.
Those have eluded my radar. They are not in my Vesrah kit but everything else for the water pump is.
Trying to find them now so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Never mind. I simply ordered a water pump gasket kit to make sure everything is covered.
1982 GL1100 Interstate
odyssey
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by odyssey »

Cool, part #7 in Transmission > OEM > Transmission cover, water pump parts, if you need.
Past rides: