Starting issues

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Chang_G_Wing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Starting issues

Post by Chang_G_Wing »

What's up guys, I got a question and I hope no one beats me up too hard about this, but I finally got my bike running the other day and even rode it for a few hours, probably did 60 miles and all was good. It always started up fine previously. Maybe 3 days after I go to start her up. Battery's dead. Ok, I jumped it. Started right up. Let it sit for a few mins and looked around my battery and noticed the 3 yellow wires were kinda melted, read previously this could have something to do with charging issues. So I cut and crimped them together. Which I think solved my crappy battery issue. She's reads 14+ v now when running. Use to read only 12+ v. I'm kinda happy. So I shut her down and see if I can get a clean start...nope, just a loud click from the solenoid. Also noticed all these wires. Hopefully I can post pics and you will see. So my questions is, could it just be the solenoid that is causing the no start up and are these wires suppose to be here? I read there's suppose to be 2 main posts (the battery and the starter post) but I have a blue one seems to be grounded, green and red, which was not even connected, an addition red with white stripe and yellow with red stripe...if anyone could chime in or refer a previously similar post, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_0358.JPG
IMG_0358.JPG (245.77 KiB) Viewed 259 times
1980 Honda Goldwing Gl1100

crossy.gif -I ride naked- crossy.gif

lolol This Is My First Motorcycle lolol

Portland, Oregon
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Starting issues

Post by RB »

Someone messed with your wiring ..get a wiring diagram and set it up correctly. then sort it out..hard to know what's what as it's set up now...
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
Chang_G_Wing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Chang_G_Wing »

Ok, I found a diagram and pretty sure it's set up right. Pics below. I've tried a few things I've read to troubleshoot. I did the headlamp test which is I believe I read could be start button, the head lamps complete shut off when pushing in. I did the battery test with multimeter when pushing start button I get roughly .20 v increase. Don't know what that means. Also I do hear a click from the solenoid when pushing the start. I really don't want to pull the starter off which is why I'm checking everything else first. Any other recommendations of what to check....also I just realized there similar topics below..this quick reply box..I have some more reading to do. This fourm is awesome.
Attachments
IMG_0360.JPG
IMG_0360.JPG (199.45 KiB) Viewed 230 times

Portland, Oregon
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Check your ground wire behind the triangular motor hanger? It hides behind there pretty good. Take it off and look at the aluminum behind it. (On the motor) Sometimes they get pretty corroded from oxidation.

To check your starter, use jumper cables from the positive on the battery, straight to the lug on the starter. If that cranks it, you're starter's not the problem.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

Also try using a old screw driver and cross the big terminals on the solenoid. if it cranks then the solenoid is suspect. All this after checking the connections on the battery cables and grounds as suggested. You might use a simple old 12v test light to see if you have power at the solenoid terminals and to the starter cable when you hear/feel it click.
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Make sure the bike engine is in its neutral gear before making any engine start attempt via by-passing safety interlock systems. :oldies
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Chang_G_Wing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Chang_G_Wing »

Thanks for the replies, I read about jumping the positive to the stud of the solenoid, when I did that I got a spark, I wanna say that isn't normal. Am I suppose to remove the batt lead from the solenoid and jump to the starter stud? Sorry I'm learning new things. I checked the battery and noticed a few cells completely drained of water as well, gonna fill those up. Let me add that when I jump the battery to a car battery(car not running) she starts right up with no fuss. Then disconnect jumper and let her sit, then shut her down after 5-10 minutes. I try to start it up again the solenoid clicks super fast. Is that a sign of anything? Well I'll check ground and get some distilled water and add that to battery tomorrow. Thanks people and I'll keep ya posted.

Portland, Oregon
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

A battery with empty cells is shot. :IDTS:
Filling it with water and charging is pointless.
Get a new battery and service it correctly and completely, before installing it on the bike, and go from there. tumb2
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Chang_G_Wing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Chang_G_Wing »

gltriker wrote:A battery with empty cells is shot. :IDTS:
Filling it with water and charging is pointless.
Get a new battery and service it correctly and completely, before installing it on the bike, and go from there. tumb2

Awww man....the truth always hurts haha crying1

Portland, Oregon
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

I just went through this myself. I received great advice as I always do on this site. I'll put a link on here.

I agree you need a new battery and a solenoid.
Just BE SURE when you order your new solenoid you pay attention to whether it's green or black. They're color -coded. Black like yours has positive post on left, green on right. EITHER ONE WILL WORK AS long as you pay attention to which one is the positive post.
Last edited by BikeMaine on Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

Here's the link to my solenoid thread.
viewtopic.php?p=695133#p695133

BTW- when you "jump-start" a solenoid with the screw driver, it's going to spark every time. That's normal, just jam it on there and see if it cranks over. When it works correctly, it will spark, it will crank over most likely and it will melt some spots on your screw driver. All normal when crossing those posts.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

You need a new battery. It's good you got the other wiring issues figured out. Since your cells were dry, I would lean towards checking the charging system thoroughly.

You need a digital multimeter to read volts to start. Many older bikes have charging issues which are often remedied by cleaning up wiring connections. Other times it's regulator or worse. Some pretty good diagnostics in Shoptalk.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Chang_G_Wing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Chang_G_Wing »

BikeMaine wrote:Here's the link to my solenoid thread.
viewtopic.php?p=695133#p695133

BTW- when you "jump-start" a solenoid with the screw driver, it's going to spark every time. That's normal, just jam it on there and see if it cranks over. When it works correctly, it will spark, it will crank over most likely and it will melt some spots on your screw driver. All normal when crossing those posts.
Good info! :2thumbs

Portland, Oregon
Chang_G_Wing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Chang_G_Wing »

ericheath wrote:You need a new battery. It's good you got the other wiring issues figured out. Since your cells were dry, I would lean towards checking the charging system thoroughly.

You need a digital multimeter to read volts to start. Many older bikes have charging issues which are often remedied by cleaning up wiring connections. Other times it's regulator or worse. Some pretty good diagnostics in Shoptalk.
Yes thank you! I'm gonna purchase a new battery today at Walmart(ballin on a budget). I plan on getting a battery maintainer(I think that's what they are called) here in the near future. About the charging, I wanna say I fixed that. The three yellow wires were melted into the plug. I cut and crimped them with butt connectors for the time being. Before I did that I always had weak and dim flickering light. But when I jumped the battery all the light were beautifully bright. The multi meter was also testing high numbers when rolling on throttle. But we will see when I get that new battery and solenoid. anim-cheers1

Portland, Oregon
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

How high ? Too high ? 14.8 is about right at 3000 ....

If it's too high it will boil the battery dry .... check your regulator ....

Gord (careful I'm only a supervisor) Jones :lol:
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F