Cam carriers and cam seals

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Cam carriers and cam seals

Post by ericheath »

Today's lesson: I went to change my right cam seal the yesterday. It was leaking badly for just three years old. I chose to loosen the carrier/rockers to make getting the seal out easier. It does make it possible to pick it out. The seal did show a score line right along the two castings between the carrier and the head. Previously I had tapped them in using a large socket. This way is much easier.

So button her up and ride, right? When I did my left side head gasket repair, I got to the rocker carrier and I usually just snug the six bolts up. Since the torque wrench was out, I figured, what the heck, let's see how close my torque guesses were to the specs. I was shocked --I know you guys are not shocked, I was shocked how much tighter the torque took them in. I'm guessing close to a full turn. So on the right side, I torqued them down too. Put the valve cover on and then asked myself if I should check valve clearances or not?? The motor was warm and the temp was right, and the Harley's kept riding by, saying, "Come out and play." I decide to crank it over by hand and fire it up. I fired it up and it ran kind of rough. I took it for a ride-it was brief. Power was down. I figured maybe my belt was a tooth off. It wasn't, so I waited 'till this morning to check valve clearance. By torquing the carrier down to proper setting, I had closed the valve gap to almost nothing. A quick valve adjust and was good.

So out for a cruise. All's good until my overflow starting spewing. I was afraid of a head gasket leak. Coolant was down about half a quart. I decided to check the pump- it was fine- no play. So next I decided to check the thermostat. In a saucepan, it opened, slowly. When open, I could see it was rubbing on one side. This was at 5:45 and no one here has one. So I put it back together with no thermostat. It then ran like a top. The fan cycled on and off.

Pic of wear marks on thermostat:
IMG_1569.JPG
IMG_1569.JPG (121.29 KiB) Viewed 80 times
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: Cam carriers and cam seals

Post by Whiskerfish »

There is a belief that the restricted opening in the thermostat slows the fluid flow to allow a better heat transfer and helps keep the engine in the ideal operating temperature range. Not being a fluid dynamics engineer myself I can understand the thought process but am not certain how much impact it really has.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Cam carriers and cam seals

Post by ericheath »

I'll pick another one up. I believe in their overall good for ideal conditions, faster warm up time. This one must have been sticking just enough to cause an occasional surge.

Then there's this nonsense!!!
IMG_1577.JPG
IMG_1577.JPG (251.3 KiB) Viewed 53 times
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi